The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

What the fuck is the deal with second interviews? I had an interview today and it went fine. Now they want me to have a second interview with the MD and CEO. Puttig aside that I'm not the type of person who normally associates with MDs and CEOs, what do I say that hasn't already been said?!

• Awards Moderator
What the fuck is the deal with second interviews? I had an interview today and it went fine. Now they want me to have a second interview with the MD and CEO. Puttig aside that I'm not the type of person who normally associates with MDs and CEOs, what do I say that hasn't already been said?!

The reason varies between organisation. It may be that your first interview was by a 'technical' person i.e. someone that knows the role inside out, who aren't necessarily good at spotting good attitude, timekeeping etc. Or it may just be that the MD and CEO like to have their say on everyone who passes through the door.

You may well repeat yourself - in fact it's sensible to do so. Not all of your comments will have made it up the chain, so follow their lead and put your case forward.

It also generally means you're close to getting the job. You only 2nd interview one or two candidates to choose between them, or double check your fave candidate.

• Moderators

My cousin-in-law (is that a thing? My cousin's husband) just went, unsuccessfully, through 5 rounds of interviewing. Talk about a fucking ballache. It was a very senior role, but still... I couldn't handle that shit.

The job I'm in now I had a second interview. It was a ridiculous breeze, and they all but told me I had the job during it. Sometimes they just want you to meet with someone else you'll be working with so they can see if they like the cut of your jib and could envision working with you. The actual interview is a sham and just a pretence to engineer this.

As a general rule how do employers like the interviewee's to present themselves? I mean is it better to come across as confident and free talking letting your personality come to the fore or should I be a little more reserved and buttoned down? I imagine the answer lies between it depending on the personality that's shining through and the individual doing the interview but I was just wondering if anyone could offer any personal/professional perspective. Also, any good tips for covering up a lack of experience in any given role?

• Paid Members

Thanks for the advice about second interviews.

Mr. Danger, personally I lean towards the "free talking, personality shining" thing more than button down, but it depends entirely on who is interviewing you. I think you can tell very quickly the kind of person you're dealing with.

I always find I interview way better, and tend to get more jobs, when being interviewed by women rather than men. Not sure why.

• Paid Members

I had an interview recently for a great position I really wanted, the first interview was amazing, I was confident and they loved me (I was being interviewed by my two direct superiors), we were chatting away and I knew I had it in the bag. I had a second interview with the head of HR a few days later that I thought would be just a formality as I was told by her and the agency I went for the job through that they really liked me, the two interviews were worlds apart. The second woman hated me, my jokes fell flat, we completely clashed and I could tell immediately the rapport wasn't there. I left somewhat disheartened despite trying my best and unfortunately the final decision was in her hands. One of the reasons she cited for me not getting the job was "over confidence" so the moral is, make sure you're prepared for the second interview, you never know what to expect.

• Paid Members

Chest if you're asking me then yeah, they loved me, the agent said they thought I was awesome and they were enthusiastic about me as I "had something special" and was a bit different to what they normally go for, even the witch who gave me the second interview said she was excited to meet me because they were going on about how great I was. Then she hated me and fucked the whole thing. It was a borderline dream day job too. Gutted.

Interviews with HR are the worst, they are always fucking useless, humourless fat ladies with an over-inflated sense of self-importance. They ask you questions irrelevant to the job you're going for, and treat interviews like "tests".

For me, an interview is as much a chance for you to find out if you want the job as it is for them to find out whether they like you.

The current job I've been offered is subject to references. I've had to give six references altogether. Does anybody have any idea when they'll let you know when the references have pulled through? It's horrible waiting for them to get back to me. I've been offered the job which I'm excited about but they keep saying "Subject to references". Is there anything to worry about with the references either?

Thanks for the advice about second interviews.

Mr. Danger, personally I lean towards the "free talking, personality shining" thing more than button down, but it depends entirely on who is interviewing you. I think you can tell very quickly the kind of person you're dealing with.

I always find I interview way better, and tend to get more jobs, when being interviewed by women rather than men. Not sure why.

I find the interview experience to be completely different depending on it being a man or woman who interviews me. I'm much more charismatic and relaxed speaking to female interviewers but the same shtick come across as awkward when being interviewed my a male. I'm not sure if its a primal threatening thing or if its just a case of the lower end jobs I'm going for dont have highly professional HR people. There was even one occasion of me being the outstanding candidate in a group interview with multiple people from the company being involved throughout the process and I had a great rapport with them all except the top HR person who was a guy. Its gotta be this damn rugged uber manly appearance I'm cursed with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Things look like they might be improving on the career progression plan, I went for an internal role that I didn't get due to lack of people management experience but was encouraged to apply for a new PM job that is coming up soon, that coupled with a nice backdated pay rise means I might stick around....although 2 companies have asked if I want to work for them, one is in a consulting role and the other I'm not sure what (we are one of their customers and they don't want me going to a competitor). I'm had an informal chat with the former who wants me to visit his office and meet his guys when I can make it to the South East of England and the other company are trying to arrange a call this week.

Both would probably take me away from home a lot more on customer sites which would mean I'd spend less time with my wife and young son which is shitty, but if things get any worse in my current job I can see my entire team's work being outsourced in the next 24-36 months and I can't see myself landing a decent job round here that pays what I get just now. Anyone here been in a similar situation?

• Paid Members

Has anybody had any "work focused interviews" for ESA? My brother has got one tomorrow and is rather nervous. It is contribution based ESA. Some people are rather confused. Do you need to do the "Work Programme" if it is contribution based?