The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
My shift was 14:30 - 00:00. I forgot about the RTE2 late news bulletin and left at 23:15. Typically, the one time I forgot about a bulletin (I've left early in the past but always after making sure there are no more live programs scheduled) and there happened to be a big issue with it. RTE called, I wasn't here, although there actually would have been nothing I could have done about it since it was being subtitled from our office in Manchester. They complained to the Head of Operations and it all came out :( I do sort of think, hey, maybe they will still offer me that position. Hopefully, anyway.

Thats a bummer. Not liked you pissed off a couple of hours earlier. Everyone has cocked up once in their career, so it will probrably be down to whether they like you or not for that particular role. You fucked up, admitted it, and moved on.

Best of luck with it.

• Paid Members

No, it's not flexi. As I said above, I fully appreciate I have nobody to blame but myself if I don't get that other job now. But, in mitigation, everybody does it, I just fucked up and forgot about the late bulletin. And, if that had gone fine, it wouldn't have mattered. But, as it was, there was a whole big issue where they didn't get subtitles for it because the subtitler up North (for as yet unexplained reasons) didn't send subtitle it.

Great news, Tommy! Although that should be Tommy!!

SR2012, yeah that's a shitter, if it's a formal warning, as in down the disciplinary route, then that will go against you big time. However, if you were miles ahead of the other candidates, you still might nick it by a nose.

• Paid Members

It's a formal thing. I'm assuming it would be a case of gross misconduct, but I haven't actually physically had the letter yet so I guess I will know more tomorrow. I think I will resign myself to not getting the job and then if I do I'll be very happy.

Congrats, Tommy!!

• Paid Members

Thanks Chaps

What will you be doing?

Assisting with handling clients accounts for a property investment firm.

I have no industry knowledge, so a lot of basic admin maintaining databases and assisting with quarterly charges for the most part with ad hoc bits and bobs and some varied customer contact and a good year or so to get up to speed on the wider business, there's scope to grow and I'm not going to be so relentlessly lent on as I am now, it's better pay and by my standards its a right swanky joint.

It's a formal thing. I'm assuming it would be a case of gross misconduct, but I haven't actually physically had the letter yet so I guess I will know more tomorrow. I think I will resign myself to not getting the job and then if I do I'll be very happy.

Congrats, Tommy!!

Generally if its gross misconduct, they suspend you so they can carry out an independent investigation. Seeing how they've told you already, I doubt very much it is gross misconduct. If it is, appeal it straight away as you've already been told that its a warning on your file.

• Paid Members
Thanks Chaps

What will you be doing?

Assisting with handling clients accounts for a property investment firm.

I have no industry knowledge, so a lot of basic admin maintaining databases and assisting with quarterly charges for the most part with ad hoc bits and bobs and some varied customer contact and a good year or so to get up to speed on the wider business, there's scope to grow and I'm not going to be so relentlessly lent on as I am now, it's better pay and by my standards its a right swanky joint.

Coolness! Seems to be some positive movement on the job front at the moment.

• Paid Members

Here's a rant/plea for advice.

I saw a job advertised on the Reed website that I was perfect for, it was 5 minutes from my house & it was in a field I have a lot of experience in, I applied online at about 8 in the evening the day after it was posted with a ridiculously incredible cover letter, what I'm trying to get at is there was no way the company wouldn't want to interview me based on my cover letter and CV. At 9 the next morning I had a form email from reed saying I had been unsuccessful in my application, it annoyed me because there's no way the company could have actually reviewed my application in that time, what gives? This is the third time this has happened to me with the reed website and it made me furious, I don't mind losing out fairly but it's chronologically impossible I was even given a chance. The original posting said they'd be reviewing candidates over the next 2 weeks, it was the second day and 16 people applied before I did. Is there any point in whinging to reed about this? Should I go to the company directly? What's the point of a job website that isn't properly forwarding applications?

• Moderators

You may as well go to the company directly if you think you're such a good fit and it's that close to home. Got nothing to lose, right?

Reed are pretty shit, as well. No point in whinging to them about it though because they know it and they don't care. If you go directly to the company, however.. you don't need to bitch Reed out but they'll ask you how you heard of the position maybe and you can tell them in a neutral way what your experience was and maybe they'll think twice about using Reed for sourcing candidates.

• Paid Members
Anybody else had this situation and how did you play it?

I hope to be in that position soon and do exactly what you seem set to do. I work without a contract and at the same unskilled rate I had when I started here part time as a student ten years ago. I've been back for two and a half years but in a totally different, skilled position which is key in our model, such that a business advisor made a note to my boss that I should be on at least twice what I'm paid and that it's a business risk for him to incentivise a key member of staff - who doesn't have to give notice - to seek work elsewhere.

Anyway, a position ought to be created soon in an organisational restructuring into which I should slot. And as soon as I get a title, contract and better pay (even if not as much as I'd like), I'll be drawing up a CV and looking at my options, since I've never been able to counter "if you handle all this, how come you only get paid this much and aren't contracted?" before.

So if I were you, I wouldn't feel bad at all in treating it like a stop-gap. The company seems to understand that this is what its role is when taking on new staff, and the job you're doing for them isn't actually what you want to be doing anyway. There's nothing wrong with applying for jobs elsewhere; that's how people make progress.