The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
Has anybody had any "work focused interviews" for ESA? My brother has got one tomorrow and is rather nervous. It is contribution based ESA. Some people are rather confused. Do you need to do the "Work Programme" if it is contribution based?

If he's on Contribution Based, he has no obligation to go to the Work Programme, no matter what his adviser says. Tell him not to worry at all about the interview, it's just a chat about what he feels he can do to make positive steps towards possibly getting back into work. If you want a deeper chat about it, please feel free to PM me in confidence.

Has anybody had any "work focused interviews" for ESA? My brother has got one tomorrow and is rather nervous. It is contribution based ESA. Some people are rather confused. Do you need to do the "Work Programme" if it is contribution based?

If he's on Contribution Based, he has no obligation to go to the Work Programme, no matter what his adviser says. Tell him not to worry at all about the interview, it's just a chat about what he feels he can do to make positive steps towards possibly getting back into work. If you want a deeper chat about it, please feel free to PM me in confidence.

Work programme = people who have been claiming JSA for 12 months plus in most cases - certainly not ESA

Your friend sounds like they have been asked to attend a work focused up interview as part of the work related activity group - they will have to attend but it will only be to discuss any steps they can take to potentially return to work at some point in the future, they will not be made to take a job or similar...

• Paid Members

Brother went. It basically went ok supposedly. Didn't even get the chance of going on the "Work Programme". Ordered to go into councilling and call the guy back in six months. Also got told to fix his teeth ("I expect the whole dental work to be done by the end of the third month"). Strange. In and out in 20 minutes.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Bit crooked. Clean though. He's married to a lawyer so it's not exactly a barrier to him having a life. He's very out-going, unlike myself.

I hope it's not a new DWP rule where they can basically slag off your appearance? Would be rather out of order. Especially if they say that kind of shit to the vulnerable.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Moderators

Sounds like bullshit to me. The kind of bullshit you should report. What business is it of anybodies what your teeth are like? You couldn't get away with telling someone to get a tit-job. If we're in the place where people should expect not to get a job because they don't have perfect teeth, then we're completely fucked as a society.

Just applied for a job as Team Leader at my local cinema. Its a job I'd be perfect for with my past experience as a retail supervisor as it is based on customer sales retention etc., not just about seeing free movies. I aced their requirements online and had my CV recently written by a professional company and also had a covering letter done.

Despite all of this, I still got really nervous when it came to pushing the final button to submit the final application.

The only thing that has me worried is when they asked me why I left my previous supervisor job, as it is a job that I was dismissed from for what they deemed as gross misconduct (twitter comments. Twitter has since been deactivated). How do I go about broaching the subject if I'm asked for an interview?

• Moderators

Sheeeit. What did you say on twitter?

Depends if you want to lie your ass off (i.e. do you know that you won't get caught?) or do you need to broach the subject with honesty, but framing it in the best possible way?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

They can't find the comments anymore as I deactivated the account and then it disappears completely 30 days later. SO unless they ask for them direct from my previous employer, then they can't see them.

I could just say that I said something (the actual thing i said was in June 2012, then came to light 12 months later somehow) which I learnt a great lesson from and say how stupid it was.

I'm currently working for a local takeaway doing menu distribution and delivery driving and serving in the place, and I can put them down as my current reference, so if they ask for two refs I can then just give a character reference and they wouldn't need to speak to the other employer at all

• Paid Members
Bit crooked. Clean though. He's married to a lawyer so it's not exactly a barrier to him having a life. He's very out-going, unlike myself.

I hope it's not a new DWP rule where they can basically slag off your appearance? Would be rather out of order. Especially if they say that kind of shit to the vulnerable.

I have great teeth, and the reason I have great teeth is because I had braces for years when I was a teenager. You don't just go to the dentist and come out fifteen minutes later with a Hollywood smile. So, what does the job adviser expect your brother to do?

I'm baffled by the fact your brother's teeth came up. Surely that kind of shit can't be the norm. I can understand the job advisers telling people to not to go to interviews in their pants etc but telling people to, for instance, lose weight or get their teeth straighten seems like a bit of a liberty.

Edited by nfc90210

@KingofMetal - I reckon its probably best to to outright lie, but bend the truth. If you can get away without them asking thats brilliant. Just say you went travelling or something!

This might be a weird one for you guys. Dont know if anyone has any experiences but regardless I shall ask.

I've recently become really fucking frustrated with not being to find any job, hate being on the dole,I am either not qualified cause of experience or over qualified cause I have a degree. No shop or bar even seems to want me. People have looked at my CV and said its decent so no problem there. Anyway Im sick and tired of that shit so have decided to do something. Im thinking of learning to become a barber, which I think is a good trade, and its a lot of hard work but there is opportunity there, so I am hoping to start an NVQ in September. Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar, ie a trade of chef etc?

Cheers.

Edited by Cobra1000

They can't find the comments anymore as I deactivated the account and then it disappears completely 30 days later. SO unless they ask for them direct from my previous employer, then they can't see them.

I could just say that I said something (the actual thing i said was in June 2012, then came to light 12 months later somehow) which I learnt a great lesson from and say how stupid it was.

I'm currently working for a local takeaway doing menu distribution and delivery driving and serving in the place, and I can put them down as my current reference, so if they ask for two refs I can then just give a character reference and they wouldn't need to speak to the other employer at all

Lie. I was involved in an appeal after dismissal for perceived gross misconduct and approached my next job with honesty. The woman who interviewed me seen how ridiculous the situation I was in was and decided to give me a chance. During induction the subject came up with the HR manager who was horrified that they'd employed somebody who had been dismissed. She claimed that me omitting it from the application was grounds for dismissal however my saving grace was that I had applied before my dismissal and I had at this point won my appeal and officially left of my own accord. Needless to say my employment there was as long as the orobationary period and I now state my reason for leaving as being a generic reason like lack of hours or seeking new opportunity.

Don't fuck around with Twitter, I got a stage 2 warning for saying a supplier were shit. They were and are and put a dangerous circuit under my desk which could have led to me being electrocuted but my company didn't care because they were our client, as well as a supplier.

On a completely different subject, does anybody do HR here? I was employed back in December with a six-month probation but have never received either verbal or written confirmation that I am now permanently employed. Back in June, my boss gave me a "pull my socks up" talk and it's two months later and I've had no word about anything. Is there legislation governing this sort of thing? If so, am I still under probation?

• Paid Members
I'm baffled by the fact your brother's teeth came up. Surely that kind of shit can't be the norm....

Something like my brother was talking and the guy was staring at him and suddenly burst out and said "I didn't want to say anything, but how did you teeth get like that?", then it went onto the subject of teeth for about five minutes.

Edited by bAzTNM#1