The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

This is probably a long shot but has anyone on here every worked as/is currently working as a teacher? I'm finishing up my PGCE at the minute and am having no luck at all when applying for jobs. Just wondered what other peoples experiences of finding a job after ITT were?

This job has degenerated today. My developer is an utter cunt. I'm trying to fix things so we don't get these situations where clients have not been charged for work and where we have no idea what is in a release. The account director left a bit of a mess behind. I need help but I'm getting hindrance and the managing director doesn't give a fuck.

I looked at myself in the mirror this morning, I barely recognise myself. Some people smoke or drink or take drugs but my vice has always been food and I'm comfort-eating again, a problem I thought I had beaten. I'm really worried because I'm going out tomorrow night and the only thing on my mind is getting absolutely mullered. This is a terrible mental situation to be in. I turned up here not drinking at all, eating salads and having green juice every morning to detox. Now all I want to do is consume wheat, sugar and booze and you can see it in my complexion and in my waistline.

Good luck, mikey. That sounds like a vicious circle, though - eating/feeling like shit is only gonna make the job more unbearable.

Not to be celebrating mother's day at the orphanage but I just got a job. On the dreamjob scale, it's probably only a seven out of ten but it more or less guarantees a nine within a couple of years.

The problem is it doesn't start for ~5 months and I jacked in the work I'd been doing since graduating out of boredom. My boredom is now worse. I've done a bit of volunteer work but it's only a few hours pw. Anyone got any ideas what I should do all summer? I've got a couple of grand knocking about and I can probably access credit lines, given I've got a contract to show. So hit me. Help me help myself.

• Paid Members
The problem is it doesn't start for ~5 months ... got any ideas what I should do all summer? I've got a couple of grand knocking about and I can probably access credit lines, given I've got a contract to show.

We have very different definitions of the word "problem". All summer off not skint with a great job guaranteed at the end of it sounds like the best thing ever- make the most of it you lucky cunt!

I've never really wanted to admit this on here but I work for KFC as a cook. It's something I'm embarrassed about and a job I really don't like. I know many people can say they hate their job but mines due many reasons. These reasons range from sometimes having 6 hours between shifts, a recent hourly pay cut, dirty job, unrealistic procedures to be followed, terrible hours (7am-2am), idiots working there, a shit contract (mines 16 hour, it was an 8 hour and I work around 40 hours a week) and the franchise model (never enough people on for a busy store and makes it stressful). I've worked for a franchise before which was McDonalds and the franchise model wasn't at all this bad. I'm glad to have a job but I don't know how long I can stick this one out.

I finished Uni last week and I'm expecting either a 2:2 or possibly a 2:1. I've recently bought a car and have been employed since the age of 14. Now I've got some skills which hopefully can get me out of there. I'm just wondering if anyone could point me in any direction of websites, organizations, just anything to give me some help on leaving this job?

Also if anyone else who's worked for KFC can share any light on their experiences that'd be interesting.

Edited by Twinn

Go travelling?

We have very different definitions of the word "problem". All summer off not skint with a great job guaranteed at the end of it sounds like the best thing ever- make the most of it you lucky cunt!

Yeah. Seriously.. the answer to that question is "absoultely anything at all that you want to do"!

Haha, my post makes me sound like a spoiled dickhead.

I probably will get away for a bit but I've been 'travelling'-travelling before and I have some commitments with the new job that mean I have to be around a couple of days here and here, so I can't just up sticks and come back in autumn. I was wondering if anyone had weird left-field ideas. I don't know... like, an archery course or some shit. Or something vaguely work-related that I could do over the summer. Fruit-picking?

Twinn, you shouldn't be embarrassed at all about your job. And if you want to leave, already having a job makes it infinitely easier to find a new one, so don't jack in the KFC one out of frustration. You need to decide what it is you want to do before you start looking for something else or you'll just drift aimlessly from job app to job app. The internet and recruitment agencies have made looking for work a fruitless, soul-destroying task so have a clear idea in your mind before you start. That's the only way you'll filter out all of the shit.

Or you could apply for this? This gets emailed to me about three times a week, no matter how often I try to block it. I don't even remember signing up for that shit site.

Anyone looking for a job just keep applying sadly. Someone will eventually take a punt. I've taken on about a dozen people in the last year and get hundreds of applications every time. I started trying to employ people with transferable skills or experience. When that doesn't work you start taking a punt on people and it works some times. You just need to wait until someone takes a punt to get your chance.

• Moderators
Go travelling?

Yeah. Seriously.. the answer to that question is "absoultely anything at all that you want to do"!

Haha, my post makes me sound like a spoiled dickhead.

I probably will get away for a bit but I've been 'travelling'-travelling before and I have some commitments with the new job that mean I have to be around a couple of days here and here, so I can't just up sticks and come back in autumn. I was wondering if anyone had weird left-field ideas. I don't know... like, an archery course or some shit. Or something vaguely work-related that I could do over the summer. Fruit-picking?

As a contract worker, I don't really get much training and development in the course of my work. One thing I wish I had done a bit of last time I took a break between contracts was a training course to learn some new industry methodology and suchlike and get a bit of wider exposure to some new stuff.

Might be worth considering.

Otherwise, yeah.. taking up a new sport or hobby could be a good way to go.

• Moderators

Well.

That interview went horribly.

Fucking hate telephone interviews.

Don't think I really wanted the job anyway though, so it was a good first go around to dip my toe back in, and I've written some good notes for improvement. Have some research and CV revision to do this weekend though.

• Paid Members

I had a phone interview last night which went the same way. The agent scheduled it for 6pm as the hiring manager is based in the states. He reckoned it would take 40 minutes so I researched the company, the services they offer that I'd be working for, I researched their products, made sure I was fully prepared.

Interview lasted 7 minutes and it was clear I didn't have what they were after. There might be something else there for me but not sure if it's worth the risk going from being a permie for 6 years to contracting when there's only 6 months initially on the table.