The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members
An agency I have a good relationship with want to put me forward for a job that's the sort of thing I'd like to be doing in a year but I don't think I'm quite qualified for yet, what should I do?

Depends on the likelihood of that sort of job coming up again in a year's time.

What's everybody experiences of recruitment agencies? I've applied to one and went for a short meeting with them yesterday. They've arranged me a job interview for Aldi tomorrow which I'm unsure what to do about. They've stated I'd be employed by the agency for 12 weeks and there is a "good chance" Aldi will give me a permanent job after this. I wouldn't be too arsed about taking a probation period with Aldi but I'm really put off about the probation period being with the agency. The pay is slightly better compared to what I'm on now. Despite not liking my current job, it's safe and it pays the bills.

• Paid Members

I've just handed my notice in. It's been a long, long time since I left a job on my terms, and it feels very odd.

Just recently resigned from my job as well. It feels liberating, doesn't it.

• Paid Members

Yesterday I was employed. Tomorrow I'll be employed. Today I'm a benefit scrounging, workshy layabout who's ruining this country. I'm probably an immigrant too.I'm glad the weather's been nice for it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Advice please!

My current 6 month contract ends in September. Now, when I joined this company they kept saying that it was essentially a permanent job, but as they'd recently been bought by a larger company, they weren't able to secure the actual permanent contract for me yet. So, since I've started I've been working on 3 and then 6 month contracts.

I wouldn't have been worried before as it was a lot of effort for them to not renew my contract and then hire and train someone else to do my job, but they are re-organising my department so that we will have an 8 person team (instead of four) so now it would be pretty easy for them to tell me to fuck off and get someone else in.

Aside from the issue that I mentioned in this thread previously, for which I was punished (punitively, I feel, but whatever), before and since then my job performance has been fine, certainly I'm the most experienced member of the team at present.

I've looked into it and as far as I can work out, they can just tell me to fuck off. I can't claim that it's a dismissal, for which they'd have to give me reasons for etc, unless I've worked here for two years (I've only been here a year).

So, I'm shit out of luck, aren't I?

I could really be doing with listing an old manager from around 4 years ago as a reference for a job interview, but for a number of reasons I'm pretty uncomfortable about contacting him again and would rather not if at all possible. When I left I had permission to use his name, and I did for a year or two afterwards. But not knowing the general etiquette and what's the done thing, would it still be fine to list him after so long based on his ok from back then, or is he likely to see that as rude and disrespectful?

I know the advice for the purposes of getting the best reference would be to contact him to give a heads up and make sure he's not taken by surprise, but I'm not really bothered about that as I know i'll get a good one no probs if it comes to that. I'm just a bit clueless about whether the green light to use him as a reference still stands 4 years later and it's fair game, or if that would be considered poor form?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
I could really be doing with listing an old manager from around 4 years ago as a reference for a job interview, but for a number of reasons I'm pretty uncomfortable about contacting him again and would rather not if at all possible. When I left I had permission to use his name, and I did for a year or two afterwards.

Assuming it is a relevant reference, and for one of the most recent positions on your CV, putting him down would be fine. At worst, he can put "Reznor worked for me between 2005 and 2009." If he does get pissed off, so what? Is he your dad? You'll move on. His fault if he can't.

It's a crap shoot whether employers contact them after all.

I've been trying to start down a new career path for quite some time. I was stuck in retail for longer than I care to remember and having dipped in and out of unemployment over the last 6 months I've finally found an opportunity that ticks most of my undemanding boxes. On Monday I've been invited for an informal chat with the head of the countryside management department for our local council in view of taking up a traineeship with them after I passed my initial assessment and interview. The money is poor but its at least a salaried minimum wage which is better than the usual apprentice rate and its enough to get by on on a short term basis until the money goes up a little. I'm not really financially motivated and I'm mainly looking for a job that makes me happy and learning a whole bunch of new skills (the job ranges from running badger watch groups, conservation, going out to schools to the more practical things like banging up fences etc) whilst working in such an awesome environment seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Has anyone ever done or is currently doing work like this?

Given that the informal chat is taking place at the local park where ill be shown around and introduced to the team what do urs reckon would be suitable attire for such an occasion?

• Paid Members

Hey, I have a very generic question that I could use some advice with, I've been unhappy in my current job for a while, I used to enjoy it but management and procedural changes have complely ruined it and I'm getting way more pressure put on me than I deserve and certainly more than I'm willing to put up with for how much I care about the job and the pay I receive so I've decided that I'm definitely leaving at the end of October.

Anyway, that's the background, my question is if I tell my superiors now that I'm leaving in 3 months are they more likely to cut me some slack and ease the pressure off me because they know I'm not trying to impress them or will they run me into the ground and make my life hell while they can? I know you don't know them or me but some generic outside advice would be handy. Obviously I have to tell them in a month anyway but August is looking pretty nasty work wise and I'm not sure what to do.

Cheers if anyone replies.

• Paid Members

In my experience it all depends on the company you're working for. When I left my last job they pretty much downgraded my responsibilities & I was given basic admin shit to do. As I my role was commercially sensitive they wanted to limit my access to pricing etc so if I ended up working for a competitor my info would be 3 months old at best. A mate of mine is currently working his notice as the manager of a Carphone Warehouse store & they're being extremely cunty with him. In short, you work there chief so only you will know how other people have been treated when they've left.

I assume you've got something else to go to? I'd always advise against burning any bridges but depending what your plans are you could always just stop giving a fuck & whatever they throw at you just not do it?

• Paid Members

Cheers, I've already asked friends & stuff, that's why I wasn't too detailed on here, I was looking for a more generic "in your experience" answer. I'd say my situation is more similar to your friend's than yours. I've not got anything else to go to, I want to take a couple of months off over the beginning of winter to work on some projects of my own. I'm totally burning my bridges here, I'm not scared of that, I never want to work for this company again and there are still superiors who no longer work here who would give me a glowing reference if I needed one.