The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Moderators
Has anybody ever started a new job and they get a few weeks training with the person they will be taking over from, then you're by yourself and you're suddenly like FUCK I don't really know what I'm doing?

Because that's me right now.

Yeah, but fortuantely it was a temp job I didn't like or want that paid really well, so I sat around for a couple weeks pretending to work, got paid and then left.

That doesn't help your situation, obviously. (also one key difference is my handover from the old person was really shoddy and brief so basically, I'm putting all the blame on them)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

This is so often the case though i've found over the years, is this assumption that because someone has performed a role for years, they are in some way, trained to show someone else how to.

Training is a skill in it's own right, and i wouldnt profess to be able to tell people how to achieve half of what i know how to do, a) because i'm on autopilot with most things and never tasked with thinking about it, and b) because i can't articulate what i do know in a clear consise way. This is where everything has gone to shit these days, too many "single points of failure" and reliance on individuals, dosent seem to be anything like teams anymore - although maybe that's just in the public sector.

• Paid Members

Yeah, when I worked at Deluxe Media they had me training people in my role and, while I was incredibly proficient at carrying out my job, I sucked at explaining it clearly to somebody else or showing them how to do it.

One good thing is the guy that was training me has moved to a different team but is still very cool about me contacting him on Lync to ask any questions I might have - I feel a bit cunty doing that though, as he's currently training in his new role.

• Paid Members
Yeah, when I worked at Deluxe Media they had me training people in my role and, while I was incredibly proficient at carrying out my job, I sucked at explaining it clearly to somebody else or showing them how to do it.

One good thing is the guy that was training me has moved to a different team but is still very cool about me contacting him on Lync to ask any questions I might have - I feel a bit cunty doing that though, as he's currently training in his new role.

I'd be cool with that in his shoes though mate, sitting with you and trying to explain to you the entire scope of the role and each individual process would be fucking impossible, you ringing up saying "'ere mate, when i click on that button, it goes tits up". He's far more likely to be able to answer a specific query like that right away.

The guy training me up at Royal Mail was a right bellend because he saw me as a hinderance to him finishing early so just used me as a spare set of hands, he had absolutely no patience and was rude to the point that I was getting a bit arsey back with him for grunting one word orders at me. Truth be told though it wasn't completely his fault as he wasn't a designated trainer and was completely not suited to being in that position.

• 3 months later...

Just seen a job that I just missed out on back in October 2012 has come up again with a company locally. I still the contact details of the person who interviewed me (whose company it is).

Would it be wise to send him n email signalling my intention to apply for this position again? Or do you think doing so could work against me? I'm not sure which would be best for my chances

• Moderators

Well it's a judgement call right? How did you feel? Did you vibe with the guy? Do you think you narrowly missed out? Only you, having been there, can read the situation and decide what's best.

In theory, it's not a terrible idea to get in contact if you think you only narrowly missed out.

Well it's a judgement call right? How did you feel? Did you vibe with the guy? Do you think you narrowly missed out? Only you, having been there, can read the situation and decide what's best.

In theory, it's not a terrible idea to get in contact if you think you only narrowly missed out.

We did seem to get along great in the interview. It was real laid back and we talked for close to an hour, which if I was to not get the job anyway would have ended much sooner than that. Which leads me to think that just stating my intention to apply would be a good thing

EDIT: So i thought "Fuck it, do it! What have you got to lose?", o i go to my email to write, and low and behold

Thanks for your CV, I will contact you by 19 March if you are shortlisted for an interview.

Regards

Now this has come from his personal email not his business one, which says to me he remembers me in some way, so surely thats a good thing

Edited by KingOfMetal

I leave my job in four weeks one day - and my manager is insisting i hand everything over to an admin intern who does part time hours.

Im a project bloody manager. This intern cant use Excel, struggles with sending emails and is one of those people who has never actually finished what shes been asked to do but is always "working on it".

I dread to think what she would say if i tried to explain a Gantt chart to her :-(

Whats most annoying is i came in to this project on a short term contract which has been repeatedly extended due to multiple council cock ups - and now im about to leave - despite 18 months massively hard work to keep things on track - its just going to get all ballsed up.

• Paid Members

Almost a new shitty record, I managed to be employed for 3 hours last week.

I was offered and accepted a full time position, but we were sent home early on my first shift due to computer problems. They rang the next morning to apologise, and that they'd be paying me for 5 hours, and that that evening's shift was still as arranged and so on.

Then they rang later that afternoon to say that due to the old "internal restructuring", that position was no longer available.

Jobcentre are as understanding as ever, offering me their limitless sympathy and demanding to know why I "walked out of this job".

Fuck.

• Paid Members

That absolutely sucks, Surf. How much contact have you had with the Jobcentre about it? Is there likely to be someone more sympathetic (read: someone who isn't gunning for sanctions) who you'll get to speak to?

If it makes you feel any better, I've just clocked exactly why your sig is great.

• Paid Members
Is there likely to be someone more sympathetic (read: someone who isn't gunning for sanctions) who you'll get to speak to?

I'm not really in the mood for jokes. Oh, you were serious?

Margaret on reception is ever so nice, and the taller woman with long hair that's sometimes with her is too. That's about as far as it goes. The rest range from apathetic to "Unemployed are the enemy. Must prevent them getting intel at all costs". BCD at Nottingham have possibly the worst attitudes among staff that I've ever encountered, you can't even sign off without them trying to turn it into an argument. Next week I'll have a meeting where they'll ask me why I didn't just stay signed on and claim it as part time (because somehow I was meant to know in advance that they were going to pull the job).

Hopefully G4S Action Man will be on duty, as he's always entertaining. He has no utility belt, so just has all manner of things clipped to his belt loops on karabiners, and is always on at least DEFCON 3, ready to spring into action in case someone coughs without putting their hand over their mouth. I keep hoping that his karabiners will get caught on a door handle and tear his trousers, so he'll have to shuffle off in a Robin Askwith style.

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce