The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Snip

Cheers for the reply! So things have changed a little regarding feedback? I was just wanting to know where things had gone wrong so could look to better than in other applications, or else I may as well try the scatter gun approach.

I've used Business Balls, which some kind soul linked on here aeons ago, and that has been a help, but not knowing what to tweak to get past shortlisting is a pain, especially in some cases where I've been doing or have done the same/simlar job as the one advertised. I think my approach is letting me down, but not sure how. Frustrating.

Regarding the job. The interview part was stonking, lots of positives, good fit, laughing and joking and some serious stuff as well. The excel test afterwards not so, but that was nerves and the tester said that out of all those tested was amongst one of the only ones to try the super insane hard one, but there ya go. I had two missed phone calls yesterday, didnt even know my phone had gone off. Rang back to be greated with an automated message saying that the call had been logged and would get a call back. They havent called back again at this stage though

Checked on the jobsite I used and my emails to see if had anything, but nothing thus far in terms of an unsuccessful. Should I just put it out of my mind or live in the hope that will get something?

What does an excel test entail? I'm intrigued.

Basic stuff create a table with some data, make it look pretty etc with shading justifications, simple formulas etc. That's no problem, pile of piss

Pivot tables/VLookup from scratch given a tight deadline time wise 20mins or so and some 'funky' macros and stuff. Got the basics and the data and everything sorted, but even the tester couldn't see why the table wasnt working '$' and all. Cant pivot a table if the sums were not working, Balls :/

• Paid Members
Fuck it, here you go -

I'm an IT focused BA, and I've been thinking about contracting for a while now. Only problem is I'm literally at step one on what I need to do in order to move from permi to contracting. Can you help me get an idea on the following Chest?

- I've heard that people usually start contract roles when they don't have a job at that time, and the roles have a start date of asap, which is a bummer cause I'd need to do a 1 month notice. Is this true?

- Did you set yourself up as a company or are you going through an agency?

- Apart from the money, what other benefits (relating to tax/VAT) does contracting give you?

First off, a 1 month notice is not so bad. I would consider yourself lucky as a lot of people I know were on a 3 month notice at my last permanent role and found it difficult to line jobs up for after when leaving, contract or perm. I was on a month's notice and managed to find a contract where that was alright. It helps if you've got some holiday saved up I guess, as I effectively had a 3 week notice instead of a full month.

So, no way around this, but there are roles out there. But you

• 2 weeks later...

Another interview, another "You passed all of the criteria with flying colours, gave the best presentation of the day and could do the job with no issues, but we are going with some one else anyway" rejection. Baws!

Officially give up

So....after a year or so of sickness and unemployment, went for a job yesterday - nailed the bugger. Better money than Im used to, nice working enviroment and a few nice birds. Think the agency woman fancied me too - but thats bye the bye.

Happy as the proverbial Larry right now.

I'm out of work/education for the first time. I left my job without having a job lined up as I felt I needed to be pro-active and force a change rather than getting cold feet/not looking at other jobs with full conviction. Because I left, does that mean I can't claim with Jobseekers? I have some savings and another pay day to come yet but if worst comes to worst, I need to figure out how to get money.

I've applied for a Trainee Mortgage Advisor job. I've no experience in banks which makes me think there's no chance, but I passed the online test and am going to have a phone interview on Monday. Any mortgage advisors on here?

I also applied for an Employment Advisor position with Ingeus. It doesn't sit quite right with me; I can't escape the feeling it's a bit dodgy/shit. I've read people say targets are constantly too high and there's no stability there (which I can believe considering there always seems to be a job opening there), but it's also in The Times Top 100 Companies To Work For. I've given it a shot anyway and am waiting to hear back, but I'm keeping my options open.

• Paid Members
I'm out of work/education for the first time. I left my job without having a job lined up as I felt I needed to be pro-active and force a change rather than getting cold feet/not looking at other jobs with full conviction. Because I left, does that mean I can't claim with Jobseekers? I have some savings and another pay day to come yet but if worst comes to worst, I need to figure out how to get money.

I've applied for a Trainee Mortgage Advisor job. I've no experience in banks which makes me think there's no chance, but I passed the online test and am going to have a phone interview on Monday. Any mortgage advisors on here?

I also applied for an Employment Advisor position with Ingeus. It doesn't sit quite right with me; I can't escape the feeling it's a bit dodgy/shit. I've read people say targets are constantly too high and there's no stability there (which I can believe considering there always seems to be a job opening there), but it's also in The Times Top 100 Companies To Work For. I've given it a shot anyway and am waiting to hear back, but I'm keeping my options open.

My old firm were in the top 100 companies-it's a paid accreditation and means nothing as the place was a terrible place to work.

As regards your JSA claim, was it a permenant position? If so you may nit be eligible for up to 13 weeks depending on your reasons. Wanting to force a change won't be one if them unfortunately.

Edited by Thunderplex

Yeah, I reckon I'm fucked on the JSA front. Perhaps silly for me to just leave, but hopefully I'll bag something soon.

The role sounds decent, but as I said I'm not convinced on the company. What you said adds to my doubts.

Random question: So my new job begins 28th of July - meaning I have a nice little holiday in the interim. Going to be signing off on Monday (can't wait), but when I do will the Jobcentre continue to pay me fortnightly until the job starts or is it likely they'll give me it as a lump sum?