The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

ATOS are really appalling. We've (when I've went with Mumzie) have found the doctors to be alright. Mumzie has never failed and she's been there about 10 times in about 20 years. It's the security staff and the office workers there who cause most of the bother, especially in the Glasgow branch. Always looking for somebody who is easy to kick off (in terms of temper) and then report back to the decision makers.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

So, I had a subtitling test today at my company as they're currently desperate for subtitlers since we have so much output, I'm currently working within a scheduling role related to subtitling as opposed to actually subtitling.

I wasn't very confident as I was sick over the weekend and didn't have a chance to practice re-speaking, but I felt it actually went alright and just got an email from the Head of Access Services asking me if I'm free for an "informal" interview tomorrow afternoon.

Now, what exactly is an "informal" interview? He says it'll last 30-45 minutes, that doesn't sound like an informal shooting-of-the-breeze to me. Will I need to wear a shirt or something? I mean, they know me so they know I don't generally come to work looking all smart. I suppose they just call it informal since I'm already working within the company. Not sure what questions to expect though. There will likely be ones like, "Why do you think subtitling is an important service" and shit like that, but overall I'm a little apprehensive about what this will entail.

• Paid Members

I have the opportunity to become a contractor (IT based) for the next year and am trying to work through the pros and cons compared to bring an employee. I know a few people are here work as contractors in this way, can you help to clarify it for me?

Cheers in advance.

I have the opportunity to become a contractor (IT based) for the next year and am trying to work through the pros and cons compared to bring an employee. I know a few people are here work as contractors in this way, can you help to clarify it for me?

Cheers in advance.

As a member of staff who works with lots of contractors, I would say as a contractor all you are worried about is as long as the work comes in and the money earning potential for you is worth jumping from being a member of staff (No sick pay, holiday pay etc . . . . ) then go for it.

If I was a contractor, I could probably add about

• Paid Members
Yay they offered me the job.

SpursRiot2012 - Subtitling WWE SmackDown for your viewing pleasure.

Well done, really pleased for you.

• Paid Members

I'm really not enjoying looking for a job at the moment and money is getting really tight. It really seems like the ball is in the employers court to an extreme level at the moment, I'm mainly applying to positions online through online agencies and it's a nightmare, they hardly tell you anything about the company so you don't go to them directly,which means virtually applying blind, they insist on being told loads of information before you can send your application and half the time your CV won't even be read anyway because it's been filtered out by a robot for not having the right buzzwords on it. They're getting so many applications that they can be unreasonably specific which means even though I know I could do something due to having good transferrable skills it's hard to get the opportunity. Also despite these all being jobs I could get with my previous experience I'm completely burnt out on 9-5ing for other people anyway so my heart's not even in it.