The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

• Paid Members

Although you may be singing off on Monday, if your job starts on 28th July, you need to carry on attending signings and providing job search evidence until that time. This is due to the fact that they could withdraw the offer at any time, and you may need something to fall back on.

Surely you can sign off whenever you like?

Ā 

Apparently not! Has to be within a week of starting the job - will pop into JC later to be sure but thats what Ive been told

Ā 

Do you mean if you want to still get paid your JSA? Otherwise, what Surf said.

Ā 

Apparently not! Has to be within a week of starting the job - will pop into JC later to be sure but thats what Ive been told

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah still want to get paid - my bad, shouldve defined that earlier.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah you gotta continue with the pointless signing ons and fake job searches then. Remember to work your money out so it covers until your first pay day (incase your new job is a monthly salary) because your only paid up to your sign off so could be left in a pickle if you go from fortnightly payments to monthly and have work expenses etc that you didn't have before, although you can get help with stuff like that.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah you gotta continue with the pointless signing ons and fake job searches then. Remember to work your money out so it covers until your first pay day (incase your new job is a monthly salary) because your only paid up to your sign off so could be left in a pickle if you go from fortnightly payments to monthly and have work expenses etc that you didn't have before, although you can get help with stuff like that.

Ā 

Yeah I've already worked that one out in my head. Funnily enough, even though new job is twice the commuting distance than my old, itll cost me less owing to taking a different bus route

• Paid Members

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Depending on your signing day, you can sign off up to 13 days before job start.

I'm still plugging away on the night shifts.

Ā 

Was set up to do several nights in a row about a half hour drive from home this week. Last minute change and they're sending me to Farnborough. I'm looking at a near-two-hour drive each way, two days in a row. They're upping my money for it though and giving me thursday and friday off, so it could be worse, and it's been made clear that clients have actually requested me when things have gone to shit because they know I'll get it sorted, which is a nice little pat on the back.

Ā 

On the other hand, I'm wondering how long I'll be able to deal with being out of the house 16 hours a day. 12 hours of heavy work with 4 hours of driving around it is a big ask. Determined to stick with it for a few more months so I can get some money saved, but some of the guys I meet who've been doing it for years look fucking dreadful.

• Paid Members
I'm still plugging away on the night shifts.

Ā 

Was set up to do several nights in a row about a half hour drive from home this week. Last minute change and they're sending me to Farnborough. I'm looking at a near-two-hour drive each way, two days in a row. They're upping my money for it though and giving me thursday and friday off, so it could be worse, and it's been made clear that clients have actually requested me when things have gone to shit because they know I'll get it sorted, which is a nice little pat on the back.

Ā 

On the other hand, I'm wondering how long I'll be able to deal with being out of the house 16 hours a day. 12 hours of heavy work with 4 hours of driving around it is a big ask. Determined to stick with it for a few more months so I can get some money saved, but some of the guys I meet who've been doing it for years look fucking dreadful.

Start looking round now before it gets to the point that you can't do it any more. Far easier to get a job when you are in one.

Aye, I've always got me eyes peeled. Last night turned out ok. Took fucking forever to get there, but we smashed through the job quickly so I got on the road at 5 instead of 7. Missed the traffic on the M25 so I was home with beer in hand by half six. Local shift tonight and the next two nights off, so I'm quite happy.

• 4 months later...

So after 13 odd years at the same firm, doing reasonably well but not spectacularly (story of my life) I decided as part of my ongoing midlife crisis that my goal for 2015 would be to leave and do something else. About a day after making that decision I spotted something that was interesting, vaguely out of my comfort zone with more responsibility and dollar. I applied and have an interview next week. I'm not nervous at all and I'm pretty confident I can land it, the only doubts are really about leaving my current job, which has been good to me through the years.

Ā 

Anyway, I was doing my research and going through some of the statistics on the new company's website for which I would be responsible and I was surprised to find a few errors. Apart from not exactly shining a great light on the new company, it got me to thinking should I point these out in the interview?Ā On one hand I think it would demonstrate I have been thorough in my research and that I have an eye of detail, grasp of complex statistics - all qualities that they are after. But on the other, I suppose I'm worried that I might come across as a bit of a cunt. What do people reckon? Is that sort of thing appropriateĀ behaviorĀ in an interview?