The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I wouldn't mention it. There's a good chance that they've already had a few people tell them and they just can't be arsed/haven't got around to calling up their web designer and paying him to change it.

The last company I worked for had some flyers printed and the date on them was slightly wrong. After a couple of weeks of customers pointing the error out it looked like management were going to murder the next person that said anything.

• Paid Members

It's a very fair question and a valid point Guy. For me it depends on how you point it out. Can you construct the points you want to make about the errors in to a question and leave it until the end of the interview in the usual questions section?

Such as 'after researching and looking at your site, I noticed 'blah'... Does this mean 'blah' or 'blah'.

It might come across as inquisitive and knowledgable, rather than possibly clever clogs.

In interview panels I have sat in on, I'd be in favour of specific questions being asked, that look like informative questions. It's good to know that the interviewee has done a bit of research rather than a question for the sake of it.

Yeah, if I do it I plan to do it right at the end. I've even printed out the page and highlighted them for the panel. I really don't actually think anyone has already pointed them out to them because given their nature, they would have been amended. I'm being deliberately vague, but these figures are in the public interest and should be accurate by law. It's a genuine mistake that they've made but one that wouldn't happen on my watch!

I think if it comes up naturally in the conversation, you could mention it.  But don't just waltz in there and go "fuck me lads, your website is riddled with errors" before banging a bag of Undertoker down on the table and sparking up a fatty boombatty.

Good luck though Biffers.  You strike me as the kind of chap who should do what I've done though, start your own business and pimp your expertise out for loads more money.  That way you can sit in your grundies at home pointing out errors on other people's websites and get paid for it.

• Moderators

So after 13 odd years at the same firm, doing reasonably well but not spectacularly (story of my life) I decided as part of my ongoing midlife crisis that my goal for 2015 would be to leave and do something else. About a day after making that decision I spotted something that was interesting, vaguely out of my comfort zone with more responsibility and dollar. I applied and have an interview next week. I'm not nervous at all and I'm pretty confident I can land it, the only doubts are really about leaving my current job, which has been good to me through the years.

you still owe me a Frampton Comes Alive for the Teacher's Voice logo comp.

Anyway, I was doing my research and going through some of the statistics on the new company's website for which I would be responsible and I was surprised to find a few errors. Apart from not exactly shining a great light on the new company, it got me to thinking should I point these out in the interview? On one hand I think it would demonstrate I have been thorough in my research and that I have an eye of detail, grasp of complex statistics - all qualities that they are after. But on the other, I suppose I'm worried that I might come across as a bit of a cunt. What do people reckon? Is that sort of thing appropriate behavior in an interview?

Is there any chance that they've done it on purpose to separate the double-cocked, maverick renegades from the chaff during the interviews?

Anyway, I was doing my research and going through some of the statistics on the new company's website for which I would be responsible and I was surprised to find a few errors. Apart from not exactly shining a great light on the new company, it got me to thinking should I point these out in the interview? On one hand I think it would demonstrate I have been thorough in my research and that I have an eye of detail, grasp of complex statistics - all qualities that they are after. But on the other, I suppose I'm worried that I might come across as a bit of a cunt. What do people reckon? Is that sort of thing appropriate behavior in an interview?

I wouldn't point them out as errors, just respectfully highlight them as areas for improvement with a reason for why you think so. 

I still find it amazing that I got my current job just off the strength of my qualifications and experience. I just applied for the job in a whim, because I was fucked off with the security work. Roughly an hour later I got a phone call asking whether I could start straight away after a 5 minute conversation on the phone. Though because of the fact that I had to work 2 weeks notice I did do a week of starting my current job at 8am, finishing at 4:30. Then going on to do a6 hour shift from 6 to 12. Simply because they were so desperate to get another person working. It does go to show how easy most security work is. It also meant that I got my final load of pay the same time as the payment from my new job.

• Paid Members

Well it's not a particularly high skilled job is it? What would they even ask in an interview that lasted more than five minutes?

Can you tell us about a time when teamwork played a part in chasing off some youths on bikes?