NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I really, really like Mauro. Please don't let Vince see that video though- not only will be hate his announcing, but it will also remind him that they still employ the wuss that Bradshaw 'lightly ribbed'.

• Paid Members

I like Mauro, forced references and prepped lines aside, and that video reminded me - in the best possible way - of Vampiro in Lucha Underground, how sometimes he'd get so excited that he'd get up and run around for a bit.

I think good wrestling announcing comes in two categories -  well-informed "sports" analyst, and enthusiastic amateur. The first tells you all the stats and the history and explains why everything works, the latter gets caught up in the story and carried away right along with the audience, and you can forgive a lack of knowledge or insight because he's on the journey with you. Mauro is one of very few that I've seen really bridge the gap between the two.

Compare that performance to Jim Ross at the NJPW Long Beach show, where he couldn't manage to pluck up a fraction of that enthusiasm, but couldn't make up for it with any informed analysis or insight either.

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

He's good, but I wish he wouldn't say "jacknife pin" when he doesn't know what one is. I'm THAT pedantic.

I've got a ton of these pet hates, but I'd never even noticed that one, and now probably will.

Mine is "Hurricanrana". I trained with a guy with a Lucha background, and he was quite pedantic over precisely what a Hurricanrana actually is, and used to get really pissed off at other headscissors being called one. It's been drilled in to me so much that it annoys me too now.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

"Senton" now being largely used for a wide variety of moves that aren't a senton drives me up the wall. A butt splash/vertical press is not a senton. A rolling Samoan drop is really not a senton.

With all the call-ups (and more next week I guess) it's 'ringing the changes' season in NXT.

War Ma-Raiders are a straight swop for AoP - I was half expecting them to come out with Paul Ellering as his new project.

We've got a cool heel female champ, I guess her next feud is with Kairi Sane?  They've not got great babyface female wrestlers atm unless they dig up Nikki Cross from wherever she's been hiding.

With the ROH crew now holding almost all the belts, looks like it will be Brits v UE for a bit.

And who's the first heel challenger for Black?  Sullivan?  Dream?  One of those guys I guess unless it's heel Roddy.

Can't wait to see who they bring up to tv over the next few months as well, always fun to try and spot the future WWE main eventers.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

War Raiders is a rubbish name...

I can’t decide if I love it or hate it. Same with the face paint.

I’m glad they’ve sorted out the situation where one of them used to have a first name & the other didn’t, that always used to inexplicably annoy me. Rowe & Hanson is incredibly close to Rowan & Harper, though.

• Paid Members

Completely read that wrong!
Yep, five stars for Ciampa and Gargano is proper order. I didn't think the ladder match was as wonderful as everyone is making out though...though I'm not the biggest fan of Mr.O'Shea to be fair.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

His snowflakes mean less and less by the year. If 5* is for the real benchmark matches, Gargano and Ciampa was well short. Not that it wasn't very good, of course, but 5* is perfect. In fairness, once he gave 7* to some spotty nonsense, he ruined it anyway.

That the ladder match got 5* renders the above pointless. He's gone.

Edited by tiger_rick