NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Pete Dunne is going to be Britain's first proper* world heavyweight champion, isn't he?

*apologies to Gary Steele, Magnus/Aldis, Nigel McGuinness and whoever held that belt Wayne Bridges had for ages, but y'know.

Absolutely not. He’s great, but absolutely not. 

• Paid Members

Why not? They have two belts again, so that increases the chances straight away. Finn Balor, Jinder Mahal and Kevin Owens have all been world champions over the past couple of years. I think it's feasible, especially if they continue to subtly push him as Trips' guy.

@mim731 I don't think size makes a massive difference, look at the guys wrestling over the WWE title tonight. Neither are physically imposing, and the three examples you gave just happen to be the three biggest stars in WWE. I think most of the NXT roster can make their mark on the main roster. They all have potential to do so, depends on how they take their opportunity and how they're booked.

Edited by PunkStep

3 hours ago, firstnameunknown said:

That’s how I took it. I didn’t have the film down as some goofy comedy, with Rock playing a ridiculous parody of himself. I fucking hope that wasn’t really from the movie..!

It’s a film directed by Steve Merchant, starring Nick Frost. What did you think it was going to be like?

Great show, enjoyed every match. Very impressed by Dream, Black, Almas, Gargano, Ciampa and several others on the card. The best Takeover in a while for me.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

It's a great developmental league for 205 Live in theory, 

I can’t help but look at this and assume you have it the wrong way around. I’ve watched 8 or 9 episodes of 205 and can’t help think they’d be lucky to feature on NXT.

• Paid Members

Takeover was a really good show, that flew in, as always (interesting that they did go a little longer here than usual though). 

The main event was excellent. Really compelling, with a proper payoff to a long term story, with a clearly defined heel and face. Lovely stuff.

The NXT title match was very good, though I'm not sure I would have had Alma's losing, but I gather it's probably to facilitate a call up this week.

The tag title match was fine, fast paced stuff that was there mainly to facilitate an angle, but that helped make it memorable. 

The opening ladder match was craziness, with some incredible spots, but also with some extremely contrived spots that made it feel clunkier than it should have been. Very exciting though, with a massive let down when that fucker Adam Cole won. The least interesting man in the match by miles, wins it. I guess he was going to be the favourite though. I love Velveteen Dream, and would have loved to see him win, but there's loads of time for him down the line. 

The Undisputed Era got another vanilla midget though so they are a proper faction where everyone looks, dresses and acts the same, and none of them are interesting. Roddy Strong is a perfect fit. I like that they are heels so that I can root against them, but how come Cole is so damn popular with this NXT audience? I don't see it in him. Is it just the crowd participation involved in the 'Baybay' thing? 

Perhaps the Adam Cole character resonates more with an ROH/PWG familiar fan due to his time there. I love the smarmy dickhead/chickenshit bad guy he is but then I've followed him quite a lot since 2013.

Mine is and I know it's an unpopular thought, I just don't get the thing with Velveteen Dream. While the lad had some tremendous ability in ring and character wise I think the histrionics have hid a question about his character. Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Should I cheer him or boo him? At least with Cole I know I should boo him as a bad guy but he become a bad guy who is cool to cheer. Velveteen Dream just leaves me perplexed. 

• Paid Members

But that's hardly exclusive to Dream though these days (is he heel or face), so many guys are various shades of grey. Few guys manage to pull off the white meat character these days- Gargano and Bryan are the first two that come to my mind that CAN pull it off. Most of the time they just get booed.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Perhaps it was just harder to judge at this Takeover because Dream was part of a multi-superstar scenario where pops for the spots came before heel/face alignments. Also in NXT (or the modern WWE fan culture in general) more heel characters get cheered these days by proxy. @stevieg1980 what is it you don't like about his character, just that you don't know whether to cheer/boo? 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

You say that, but in WWE eyes 205 live is a promotion from NXT.

Agree, I think they do, hence my point. I think it’s the wrong way around. 205 is almost silly and redundant. No need for it. It’s full of the crap that NXT doesn’t need. It’s filler, OTT, unrefined NXT fodder. (Bar a couple)

• Paid Members

Reading Tiger Rick's post in the 'Mania thread made me think of the commentary on NXT, and it really is the worst thing about any TakeOver show. Ranallo just drives me mad with his completely over the top hyper screaming that goes on all show long. Nigel McGuinness is just bad. Percy Watson? Well he's kind of just there. He doesn't talk enough to get the chance to show if he is as bad as the other two. Having said that, the one Takeover that he was part of a duo with Ranallo, the commentary was better that night. I'm not sure if that's because Watson was decent, or it was a benefit not having to listen to McGuinness. 

• Paid Members

At one point at Takeover, Nigel McGuinness referred to EC3 as "self-effacing". He doesn't know what half the shit he's saying even means.

Percy was surprisingly good on the last Takeover - I think that speaks for what a bad idea a three-man booth is when the three men don't have clearly defined roles. It just becomes noise.