NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

It was onto a winner the second Pat McAfee opened his mouth on the pre show. That's a gold standard buffoon.

More seriously, that show had it all. Drama, character, a spot fest, stars made, everything.

Edited by BrodyGraham
Potential spoilers

• Paid Members

How much did that ladder match die? It was fucking outstanding for 25 mins and then turned into a horrible wankfest. Dream and Richochet pottering around for 20 mintes to hit that spot in the corner, those identical spots on the outside with everyone laying around and then that horrible bit where everyone is on ladders. So contrived. And then the dullest person in the match wins. How do all those people like this guy? I don't get it. What's wrong with Lars Sullivan? Lot of boos when he looked like he'd win. They seeing Vince's next wet dream?

Credit to six guys for nearly killing themselves. And most of it was tremendous. Last bit was too indy.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

How much did that ladder match die? It was fucking outstanding for 25 mins and then turned into a horrible wankfest. Dream and Richochet pottering around for 20 mintes to hit that spot in the corner, those identical spots on the outside with everyone laying around and then that horrible bit where everyone is on ladders. So contrived. And then the dullest person in the match wins. How do all those people like this guy? I don't get it. What's wrong with Lars Sullivan? Lot of boos when he looked like he'd win. They seeing Vince's next wet dream?

Credit to six guys for nearly killing themselves. And most of it was tremendous. Last bit was too indy.

I'm with you Rick, Adam Cole does nothing at all for me, and I have spent his entire NXT run so far trying to work out why massive parts of the crowd love him. And thats not taking into consideration the fact he looks like a shrunken adult...

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JNLister said:

I can't think of a three hour show that's ever been better than that. 

Calm down, Schiavone.

I've got the main event to go but unless it' the best match in history, this is overblown. Really like Shayna but a lot of that women's match was clunky. Nice story though and a great finish. Do wonder if this stuff is for me though. The new big babyface is on the outside cheering on the heel. The brave heel who overcomes incredible pain to choke out the babyface.

Undisputed Era got another dullard. Great.

Title match excellent but no better than most we see every month. Do love Vega. the only heel in the company who actually takes short cuts. Such a novel idea.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Calm down, Schiavone.

I've got the main event to go but unless it' the best match in history, this is overblown. Really like Shayna but a lot of that women's match was clunky. Nice story though and a great finish. Do wonder if this stuff is for me though. The new big babyface is on the outside cheering on the heel. The brave heel who overcomes incredible pain to choke out the babyface.

Undisputed Era got another dullard. Great.

Title match excellent but no better than most we see every month. Do love Vega. the only heel in the company who actually takes short cuts. Such a novel idea.

I’m with Rick.

It was a fine show, but no more than that.

The ladder match could have been excellent, but there were a few too many contrived spots for me to get fully into it. I spent too long thinking ‘surely they could have worked out more organic routes into these spots when they were thinking this out’ which I think is the definition of being out of the moment.

The tag match was good, so was the title match. 

The main event was very good, with some nice moments but it never really stepped over to the next level for me. Just a very good main event.

It was a consistently good show, but I don’t think it was anything more than that.

ECIII certainly took his licks in the opener though.

I've spent the majority of Sullivan's NXT run trying to figure out what the appeal is. He's big and scary looking. So was Heidenreich and Ryback and Snitsky all of whom I found interminably dull.

Cole plays the smarmy opportunist as well as anyone I can think of since Edge, and he can go. I've even grown to appreciate Kyle O'Reilly's ridiculous gurning as a deliberate part of the act.

Aside from Dream's inability to handle a ladder, there wasn't anything in that ladder match that I'd point out as feeling any more contrived than any number of multi man ladder matches. It's not like the ladders side by side schtick hasn't been seen before. 

• Paid Members

When was the last time a heel got a reaction like Tommaso Ciampa got walking out for the main event? Even if the (really great) match didn’t live up to Gargano’s last Takeover match, the way that crowd reacted to both guys was a testament to how good this feud has been. Whoever decided to not give him entrance music was a genius. Take note, Full Sail. He’s a heel. Boo him, you fucking melts.

• Paid Members

Really good show. Not as good as previous takeovers but solid. I don’t get the hate for Adam Cole from so many people. I like him. And the rest of Undisputed Era. Roddy needed to turn heel. He’s much better in that role than as a face. You could see it coming on the pre show interview when he was being so positive. Makes sense for him to be the tag champ in they do the freebird rule now that Cole is a singles champ. Cole seemingly has got the Booker T in impact treatment. Don’t want to make him the main champ so a belt is created for him. 

Glad Shayna won. Good finish to the match. Embers good and everything but her whole character is a sulky face who pouts a lot, so she was hard to invest in. 

I think Almas and Blacks match was slightly better than last years. But I need to rewatch that again. Great match though. I hope Almas and Vega thrive on the main roster. 

Main event told a fantastic story. We got the only ‘you deserve it’ chant in recent times that actually made sense. Johnny playing the resilient baby face who showed heart and even a moral dilemma with not hitting Ciampa with the crutch and trying to get him to show redemption was a fantastic touch. Johnny kills it every time. Such a great baby face who you can’t ever route against. 

Edited by TheBurningRed