NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The film about Paige looks fucking terrible. It looks like it’s a half arsed, tongue in cheek advert for Chef Boyardee from 2001 or something.

Erm, I’m pretty sure the joke was that that wasn’t a clip from the film at all...

6 minutes ago, firstnameunknown said:

Erm, I’m pretty sure the joke was that that wasn’t a clip from the film at all...

You sure? Pretty much everywhere is reporting that it’s a sneak peek of the film.

Looking around a bit and fairly certain that’s actually a clip from the film.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Sometimes I struggle to explain or articulate why I watch and love wrestling. That Ciampa-Gargano match, and the whole feud, explains it better than I ever could. Blown away by that. Drama, storytelling, incredible selling, great spots, false finishes that made sense, just everything that had. I hope these two feud forever. The "You deserve it" chant after the floor powerbomb was great.

Can I also give a mention to Drake Wuertz who was bloody great in that match as well. His wincing when Ciampa was booting Gargano's head on the apron was spot on, and just a VERY small thing but him telling Johnny "There's no rope breaks Johnny" was top as well, as the wrestlers in pain and writing in agony would absolutely need reminding. Great stuff.

Other takeaways: Mauro Ranallo is THE worst commentator of all time. I mean they're all bad, but this guy is the pits. He only has one gear, his awful shoe horned in phrases or puns, but most of all...STOP SHOUTING AT ME!!!

• Paid Members

The Gargano vs Ciampa match was one of the best matches I've seen in years. An incredible story told throughout. So much so, it's amazing that that isnt taking place tonight. Nothing is touching that at WrestleMania. And not because it isnt a great card. It's just unlikely you'll see a match that good for a while.

• Paid Members

Excellent show. All the other matches ranged from very good to f'n great. The pacing of the NXT title match in particular was superb. 

Ladder match was amazing, didn't mind the rest spot a little later on in play because that gave the crowd the chance to breathe a touch before they went into the finish.

I'm a massive, massive fan of Velveteen Dream and have been for a few months now. Another poster said the business needs more characters - this guy is straight up MONEY. I'd been keen for him to continue to build his profile in NXT before they bump him up - doing that too early will just kill the buzz and momentum around him. I'd actually be up for him renewing his rivalry with Black for the title. 

Ricochet is one of the most exciting talents I think the company has signed in a while - his movement is just something else. The moonsault off of the falling ladder spot was mental. I'm guessing they might go with a feud betwixt him and Adam Cole over the title, which I think will a) Produce some excellent matches and b) open the door for some character development from him where they can work on that side of his game.

I never caught much of EC3's TNA stuff (or his previous NXT work back in the day) but his presentation so far from a character perspective has been superb as well - another one like Dream who I think has the potential to make some serious cheddar. Easily dislikable and carries himself like a legit prick, and therefore a legit heel star. 

As for Dain/Sullivan - I'm all for a new generation of big men as someone highlighted a couple of pages ago, all I ask is that there's something unique about them. I think Sullivan does bring back memories of a Snitsky or Heidenreich, because he's essentially just a big, ugly, clumsy brute without much substance. The thing I like about Dain is aside from looking like an absolute bloody savage, the bloke can actually move around a fair bit too for someone of his size. He reminds me a bit of Luke Harper in that sense. 

Echo all the sentiments about the main event - just fucking great storytelling, from Ciampa's entrance, the callbacks to previous moments in the storyline, the ending, the lot. I know we say this about the majority of NXT callups to the main roster before they get the bump, but if they get it right with Gargano they could have another Daniel Bryan on their hands - a genuine babyface that the crowd genuinely believe to be a good bloke in real life (which for all intents and purposes hey are), the underdog aspect, etc. 

Edit - Forgot to mention Pete Dunne. Bring on the series of brawls coming up against the Undisputed Era. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Just watched the show, not read any of the posts on here and have avoided twitter. I’d say overall ‘good’ with some outstanding bits.

Best bits:

- Ciampa. Fucking love everything he has been about since the barber shop window. Thoroughly love to boo him. Best heel in fucking yonks. Utter bastard. Brilliant.

- Dream is getting better. Mic skips and presence never a question, in he ring he’s been pretty green for a canny while. And although he shows a naivety with his timing, and his attack isn’t great, selling selling and bumping has been fucking stellar as of recent. Again, 22, fuck sake.

- Great match between Almas and Black. Unless Almas wins the Andre battle royal tonight and is used as a jobber on smackdown for the next 6 months, I’m really looking forward to him chasing the title now it’s on Black. He was agitated enough as the champ, imagine him as the bitter loser.

I actually ‘enjoyed’ every match. None were a bore or were shit. Hence overall being very good.

Ill go and read all your craic now and see how far off I am from general views.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Pete Dunne is going to be Britain's first proper* world heavyweight champion, isn't he?

*apologies to Gary Steele, Magnus/Aldis, Nigel McGuinness and whoever held that belt Wayne Bridges had for ages, but y'know.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Jacko said:

One thing I’ve always wondered if suddenly hhh got the keys to the castle how much do you think it would change nxt?

It looks as though he's already building a team for that very scenario. I think they've got a really good formula going with the brand now and as HHH moves up the corporate ladder, the current blueprint will remain intact and he'll still work closely with officials there who will effectively carry it on from where he left off. It'll just be that he oversees the direction of things from afar rather than always being there in person, calling the shots from Gorilla etc.

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The Gargano vs Ciampa match was one of the best matches I've seen in years. An incredible story told throughout. So much so, it's amazing that that isnt taking place tonight. Nothing is touching that at WrestleMania. And not because it isnt a great card. It's just unlikely you'll see a match that good for a while.

Agreed on all counts. My heart was in my mouth for that entire main event, one of the most stunning, most dramatic matches I’ve seen in ages and ages.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Does it do it's job as a developmental, I Dunno?

It's a great developmental league for 205 Live in theory, I'm sceptical about for the main roster for 70/80% of the NXT roster going up. Undisputed Era, Dunne, Ricochet, and various others might look undersized against the likes of Reigns, Cena, Lesnar etc. For a Sullivan, Dain, Almas, AoP, Black  (maybe, he's pretty tall), who knows?