NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I really wasn't a fan of the ladder match either - rating it higher than Almas/Black (which I'd put close to, if not equal with, Gargano/Ciampa as a standalone match) is a head-scratcher, but Meltzer seems to take his ratings a lot less seriously now, and I'm sure he gives out plenty of them just to create this kind of conversation in the first place. I did see him once argue that wrestling has got better over time, so it only makes sense that more matches now would be getting five stars or more, but where does that take you? It pretty much kills the notion of star ratings as a means of recognising match quality regardless of context (geographical or historical) if, in five years time, he's handing out 8 or 9 star matches rather than making the effort to ensure his rating system is consistent.

It's all bollocks, though, at the end of the day. I never liked star ratings in music or film criticism, and like it even less in wrestling, and get the impression that people commenting on it take it far more seriously than Meltzer does.

Star ratings are absolute waffle, how anybody can put credibility into what Meltzer thinks is beyond me. I got into a spat with him years ago when I said Mark Henry vs Big Show WHC match was better than the latest ROH main event (think it was Davey Richards vs somebody). Horses for courses innit. Someone who subs to him would know more but weren't he down on the Rock/Hogan WM 18 match, that match IS what Pro Wrestling means to me.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I did see him once argue that wrestling has got better over time

I think that's true, in WWE anyway. If you go back 20 or 30 years WWE midcard matches were almost all 1* on his scale. Now there'd be a huge pecentage of them that are 3* or 3.5* matches. That misses the point hugely to suggest that its the case for main event matches. Yes, the consistency level is very high these days. But is anything on the level of Bret/Austin from WM 21 years ago? No, is it fuck.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

His snowflakes mean less and less by the year.

Yep. He gave 5* to Omega VS Jericho, which just goes to prove that. No way is that match remotely close to be being better than either of the HBK/Taker WrestleMania matches.

To be honest, half of the ratings depends what mood he's in. If he's just had a Tokyo Dome wank, then he's going to be handing out snowflakes like a traffic warden on commission.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm just assuming that he's just trolling with the snowflakes now. He broke his own system with the Okada/Omega matches, rendering the whole system useless.

That or he's genuinely lost the plot.

Yep. I think up to a point it can be subjective, but when you start handing out six/seven star ratings (Scott Keith also did this for Gargano/Ciampa as well) then you're just a pillock, and you're effectively parodying yourself. 

J.D. Dunn - who I don't think has done anything in many, many years - usually got it bang on with his snowflake ratings. Meltzer, Keith, Csonka (the worst recapper/reviewer around) are the pits these days. I can't think of any recappers I generally agree with now in terms of match ratings that are handed out. 

12 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

He'd be right, it's shite. Crowd reaction is amazing but that's never been enough for me.

For you maybe, but it's still my favourite match of all time.  I'll take storytelling and charisma over movezzz every time.

Do Meltzer and the like have set things that they score a match on? So for example, when rating a computer game, IGN used to score individual aspects of the game; graphics, sound, gameplay etc.

Is it the same with a wrestling match? Something like crowd reaction, duration etc?

Hope that makes sense.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Loki said:

For you maybe, but it's still my favourite match of all time.  I'll take storytelling and charisma over movezzz every time.

You wait until you watch the matches that have both. It'll blow your mind.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'm just assuming that he's just trolling with the snowflakes now. He broke his own system with the Okada/Omega matches, rendering the whole system useless.

That or he's genuinely lost the plot.

In fairness, he have an AJPW Kawada/Misawa March from 1994 6 stars, so it wasn't unprecedented. Not condoning his ratings, but it' not quite true that he broke his system with Okada/Omega.

• Paid Members

He did with their rematch, when he gave it 6.25 snowflakes.

He's already dished out 5* on six occasions this year so far, which is the joint most for any year (joint with 2017, where he also rated 4 other matches greater than 5*). Big Dave really loves the wrestling at the moment.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

I think Larry Csonka is the only good one going at the moment. 

He doesn't proofread his articles and his insight normally ranges from "This was a good show. But not a great show" or similarly robotic responses. He does push out a lot of stuff on 411 but it's a case of quantity over quality with him.