NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

WWE show of the year for me. Itami/Black and Ember/Asuka were my personal highlights but honestly everything was great. Asuka is an absolute superstar and probably the most well-protected character in WWE at the moment.

It wasn't my type of music but the live band really made the show (and Black's entrance) feel somewhat special.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Adam Cole brings to the table, the pop he got when he was making his way through the crowd was pretty amazing. Hopefully now that Roode  has dropped the belt he'll be getting the call to the main roster soon.

• Paid Members

Great show from start to finish. Almas needed the win and I thought him and Gargano couldn't be topped. But then Asuka vs Ember happened. Probably the better match due to being more emotionally invested as I didn't want Asuka to lose. Ember is good, but she isn't the right person. I don't think anyone is. Asuka should give up the title undefeated and move to the main roster. 

The main event result surprised me. But a pleasant one. Hope Roode moves on to Smackdown now. Happy to see Cole and reDRagon. O'Reilly and Fish are good workers and Cole has the work rate, charisma and mic skills to carry the group. Perhaps Strong will join them?

Edited by TheBurningRed

2 hours ago, The Dart said:

Only 20% of those who had matches at Takeover, including the preshow, are American.  Probably not a record for a regular WWE show, but interesting anyway.

Someone should tell Donald Trump, he'd hopefully resign from the Hall of Fame in protest.

• Paid Members

Nigel McGuinness iritrates me no end. Just repeats the same “talking points” over and over again. Then after the introductions to the main event mentions McIntyre has “30, 40 pounds on Roode.” Their weights were just announced! (The difference was 19 lbs.)

Nigel can hardly ever get his words out right first time around. It's like he's trying to commentate and chew a wasp at the same time. No one's speech is perfect but you need to be more eloquent than that in that job.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

The match quality was tremendous throughout this show, it was actually quite exhausting to sit through if anything. If this had been a three hour show, with a few light entertainment segments and popcorn matches to balance the card out, it would have been just perfect.

Asuka and Ember had the best women's match of the year so far. I'm glad they have kept the streak going. Surely makes sense to use the Mae Young tournament to introduce a new wave of challengers for Asuka.

Aleister's entrance was absolutely brilliant with the band playing him to the ring. He looked a huge star and the gimmick fits him well, he's believable with it. Total opposite of Finn Balor, who fails to convince all all in a 'dark' gimmick. Great match too, his finish pops me every time.

Zelina Vega was the missing piece of the puzzle for Almas, the act is so much stronger now.

I already hate the newcomers Fish, O'Reilly and Cole. I'm going to take a lot of convincing that they aren't all undersized workrate wankers. They all looked so unconvincing delivering their beat-downs to guys twice their size. Especially Cole. He looks like a child next to McIntyre. NXT already has all these ordinary looking guys like Gargano, Ciampa, Strong and Lorcan doing the CAW indy worker thing. I'm worried about them turning into RoH.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Adam can talk! Lots of character value to him so don't worry in that regard. I've wanted him in WWE for ages whereas guys like Strong and O'Reilly, I can enjoy their matches a lot at times but never saw them as "WWE guys" because they're clearly not talkers

Edited by sj5522

A really good show from start to finish and Summerslam is going to have to exceed all expectations if it is going to be anywhere near as good.

I can see Johnny Gargano being a great main event face for NXT in the near future and a solid addition to the main roster if they ever put him on Raw or Smackdown. Andrade Almas has improved as well as a heel and would be a solid mid carder on the main roster.

They could have something special in Aleister Black if they continue to treat him as a star. His finisher looks and sounds good and like a few others on the show he is continuing to improve.

Surprised but happy to see Asuka win. The winner of the Mae Young Classic is probably taking the title off her (given the hype probably Kairi Hojo). I can them running open challenge title defences for Asuka in the meantime over the next couple of months, with her beating Ember Moon, Riot and Cross again. I guess she will be promoted to the main roster after Survivor Series now, but sadly I can see her trading wins/losses with everyone on Raw/Smackdown when she ends up there.

• Paid Members

I watched this, as usual, without knowing any of the build up due to not watching NXT weekly or following the reports and I enjoyed it, but I'm a little surprised at the huge amount of praise it got. Having said that I didn't watch the women's match.

The opener was the best match I thought, I was very impressed by both guys. 

Aleistair Black looked like an absolute star during his entrance. Unfortunately, for me, that's the high point. The super kicky-kick style is great if nobody else is doing it. Even if he is really good at it. It just seems like every fucker that comes through NXT these days relies almost completely on knees and kicks. 

The tag match I also thought was good fun, with a surprising pair of winners. Then they set up the next program which was a good way to move things forward, until I seen the two guys that came out. Fish and O'Reilly. Look at the shot of this pair. I've never seen them before or Adam Cole for that matter. However Cole looled the part. Fish and O'Reilly looked like what people expect indy guys to look like and brought with them more shite kicks and knees. I wasn't one bit impressed by the pair of them.

The main event had two great entrances. Fantastic stuff and I would imagine, not having seen it yet, that both entrances along with Black's entrance, will be better than any entrance on SummerSlam. This was a good match too, and I was surprised by the winner again, whih I liked. Both men looked really good here I thought. 

Overall there was nothing bad here, match wise, and everything was pretty good. However there was nothig as good as Bate/Dunne, Roode/Itami, Roode/Nakamura, AOP/Gargano and Ciampa etc. 

Gargano/Almas, McIntyre/Roode, AOP/Sanity, Black/Itami in that order in my view. Normally when NXT have a TakeOver show, the best match on it is rarely topped by the main WWE PPV the next night, but with SummerSlam I think possibly four of the matches from last night have the chance to out-perform the NXT guys this time around (although I haven't yet had the chance to watch it so I could look very foolish in a few hours time!)