NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm so pessimistic about Asuka's chances on the main roster. The women's divisions on RAW and Smackdown are a fraction of the size they are in NXT, with considerably less turnover, and less scope to have vaguely competitive matches with unsigned talent to bolster an undefeated streak. Asuka benefited from the weakness of the NXT division, in that her run coincided with the departure of the "Four Horsewomen" - on the main roster, how soon before she's exchanging wins with Charlotte every week, or just another body in a throwaway multi-woman time filler?

That's the same with anyone coming up from NXT who looks like a star, within 3 months they are just another body on the roster.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Did anyone else's Network skip to a Sanity promo halfway through the Lars Sullivan match? The greatest squash match I've seen in ages and it cut out halfway through!

Yes and it annoyed the piss out of me! Just went back to have a look though and they seem to have fixed it

21 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Can you imagine how good Asuka vs Ronda Rousey would be at say Wrestlemania, fucking HUGE. If they kept her unbeaten on the main roster and Ronda comes out and they go face to face to set it up.

Granted, it's a fantasy wank fest in my mind but a good one.

I had this exact same thought when watching the Mae Young Classic the other day. Ronda seems like she's up for doing a bit of wrestling and I can't think of a better opponent than Asuka.

• Paid Members

Really liked the way they used footage of Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan sparring & working on tag team moves as an almost unacknowledged backdrop for the Regal/Ruby Riot segment.

Makes the whole thing seem wonderfully natural and organic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Dream/Black was a superb segment, looking forward to seeing that one progress.

Still not sold on Cole/O'Reilly/Fish at the top. Fish probably has the best look out of them all, which isn't saying much, and Cole really came across as a weasel-y manager type, rather than a force and their next top star. Lots of work to do.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

"So this was the singer out of Quiet Riot, I dragged him over the top and said 'I'll knock that stupid wig off you head'...oh, come in son"

Im all for more bits of Regal stories

Absolutely - love his new gimmick of being caught mid-anecdote, suits him to a tee.

That Black/Dream segment was superb, so much better than I ever would have imagined it to be if I'd been told it was happening...I was expecting Dream to be sent out there as a schmuck to get taken down with one kick to make Black look like a bad-ass, but it helped both men. Dream seemed darker and more menacing than he has in the past, and really channelled old-school Goldust at points, while Alisteir Black kicking the microphone out of his hand is the coolest thing anyone has done in WWE since, at least, the "Bray Wyatt points and Roman Reigns spears" spot from the time they tagged together. Probably cooler.

I agree on Adam Cole - baffling decision to have him go from attacking the Champion in his first appearance to just being a ringside stooge for his mates in the stable's first proper match. They're definitely relying far too heavily on people thinking he's a big deal because he's Adam Cole, rather than teaching the audience why Adam Cole is a big deal.

He has a fabulously greasy look though, a real weasel.  But he's coming across as more of a manager.  Reminds me of Don Callis back in the Truth Commission days.

I'm not sold on the whole bunch of them, especially at the top of NXT.  They feel very indy-riffic.  As much as I've enjoyed the runs by Joe, Roode, McIntyre and so on, a lot of the fun in NXT has always been seeing the young guys coming up from the PC.  That's why I'm enjoying Lars Sullivan so much, and The Velveteen Dream too.  There are just too many "15 year veterans" in NXT at the moment and not enough completely new faces.  Plus the Performance Centre guys are often much larger, tougher looking dudes, and I'm an old fashioned guy who likes hosses more than high flyers.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

There are just too many "15 year veterans" in NXT at the moment and not enough completely new faces.

Yeah, agree. But perhaps this is their new model? Let guys bust their ass on the indies and in Japan for years and when they have enough experience, bring them in. I don't think this is their new model, I'd imagine they want to create and mould a load of guys from scratch, but that side has certainly fallen down the wayside of late. Velveteen Dream is the one stand-out at the moment, plus AOP and Heavy Machinery. They need to strike a better balance.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I'm absolutely delighted they're continuing Regal's gimmick of being interrupted in the middle of a daft story. So simple, but so brilliant.

I agree that I'm not sold yet on the new ROH guys. There's that definite whiff of indy workrate wankers about them. Is Adam Cole worthy of this hype? Genuine question. I've never seen him before and he's doing very little for me so far, other than being another small man throwing superkicks.

However, I understand why Triple H feels the need to constantly bring these type of guys in. Even at their worst they're better than guys like Tino Sabbatelli and his mate, who've got to be the most generic men to ever exist. Tino in particular feels like a throwback to 2006 or something, employed simply due to his size and looks, absolutely devoid of anything else, bland to an almost unbelievable level.

Seriously though, when are they bringing in Dalton Castle? I feel like I've been waiting forever!

• Paid Members

It's part of the problem with NXT having to be a viable product and touring brand, while also being developmental - you need the indie "names" to sell tickets, but then they end up being used at the expense of the homegrown talent and the younger indie guys who might need the time to actually learn to work TV, and work "WWE style" and whatnot. That the developmental territory ran with Drew McIntyre - a guy who has already worked WWE pay-per-views for years - and Bobby Roode - a guy who's been wrestling God knows how long, and been on TV most of that time - as their top feud shows that something's a little out of kilter.

I'm hoping they're starting to find that balance, though - Black working with Velveteen Dream is a good start and, as bland as Tino Sabatelli and Riddick Moss are, the opportunity to work with the likes of Johnny Gargano should at least help them develop a little in ring. You get better by working with more experienced opponents, yet it almost seems as if NXT has booked the Performance Center talent completely separately from the indie veterans, rather than having them work together, and letting the veterans effectively coach the newbies in-ring, which is surely the whole point?

There's obviously nothing wrong with bringing in the big name indie guys, as they have obvious value, I'm just not particularly keen on the way they're presented more often than not. When they brought in Adrian Neville, or Sami Zayn, there were nods to their indie careers, but they weren't defined by them, and they were allowed to develop as characters - to a lesser extent, Bobby Roode was able to develop an NXT version of his gimmick, with the "Glorious" schtick. But too many guys seem to get brought in with no explanation other than "they're fifteen year veterans, they've wrestled all over the world, held a bunch of championships" - well, yeah, you and everybody else. What makes Fish and O'Reilly anything more than two additional Roderick Strongs?

It's particularly egregious, to me, with Cole, Fish and O'Reilly because they've given us nothing else. They're telling us that these guys are important, but they're not really doing enough to show us why, nor are they really explaining why they're here, what their motivation is, or why it's a big deal. Just assuming that people will care because it's Adam Cole isn't really enough when, a month after he debuted, they've still done pretty much nothing to tell me who Adam Cole is.