NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

22 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

dont know anything about Adam cole or the other 2 ROH lads, any good? Cole just looks like a carbon copy of HBK, and yet another super kick 👎

Adam Cole just looks like a tiny Steve Corino.2CA2C9FF-1B82-4B8E-80BC-DA8D98B7BE52_zps

My mates only just got round to watching Takeover and he messaged me afterwards as we usually do to say what we thought of the show, only his was much shorter than usual - "oh great, another one that kicks"

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Surprised there's no talk on here yet of (if i've been overly cautious with the spoiler tags, please ignore.  I dont watch, so not sure what's aired and what hasnt)

Asuka relinquishing the belt

That, and this photo I saw on Twitter which I don't know is from the recent episode to air, or a future taping, but...

DIB0oTGUMAAO7tr.jpg

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

My fantasy booking is that they now make the Mae Young Classic for the title and then have the winner face (and beat) the returning Asuka at the next Takeover in November. It's the only way they can make the next champion look credible if they backdoor their way into winning it without beating Asuka.

I know the spoiler discussion has been done many times in this topic without any definite resolution, but for me anything from an NXT taping is a spoiler until after it has aired on the weekly TV show.

WWE have done this a lot lately, filling their social media with news about people showing up as a surprise or (in today's case, from last night's taping) a major storyline development.

But I still enjoy watching angles play out or people debuting in context - rather than tuning in knowing what is about to happen.

Edited by dopper

Cracking little episode I thought this week. Heavy Machinery are my favourite tag team in WWE, and Dozovic is something quite special. Probably my favourite Roode match in WWE so far against Strong in the main event and a continuation of the Cole/ROH invasion storyline. It's been said before but Regal is so brilliant in this NXT role, he adds a new dimension to the Authority figure, it's been done to death and is STILL being done on the main roster but in my opinion this is the best version of an Authority role I have seen.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Cracking little episode I thought this week. Heavy Machinery are my favourite tag team in WWE, and Dozovic is something quite special. Probably my favourite Roode match in WWE so far against Strong in the main event and a continuation of the Cole/ROH invasion storyline. It's been said before but Regal is so brilliant in this NXT role, he adds a new dimension to the Authority figure, it's been done to death and is STILL being done on the main roster but in my opinion this is the best version of an Authority role I have seen.

Don’t know if that’s down to Regal though as opposed to the “writing”. I loved him as commissioner in the early ‘00s.

• Paid Members

One of the things William Regal has going for him is that he actually seems like he is an authority figure, not just a bloke cutting promos to set up matches - he has an actual office, not just some leather chairs and a poster for the next PPV, but a real office with management textbooks and whatnot. When he's doing contract signings, or coming out to make matches, he acknowledges that there won't be time on this week's show, or that the wrestler requesting the match hasn't earned it, and when he's involved in a pull-apart brawl or whatever, he seems genuinely concerned about the safety of people, and about his show; his reactions to Pete Dunne in the UK Tournament were superb for that. And when he does lose his temper, or book someone in a match as punishment, it feels justified, and you're reminded that it's still Regal, he's still a hard bastard behind it all, rather than it just feeling like a wrestling trope.

35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

his reactions to Pete Dunne in the UK Tournament were superb for that. And when he does lose his temper, or book someone in a match as punishment, it feels justified, and you're reminded that it's still Regal, he's still a hard bastard behind it all, rather than it just feeling like a wrestling trope.

The Pete Dunne reaction was great. Genuinely looked like he was trying his hardest to not lamp Dunne himself there and then. He's just convincing in that role, likeable and respected and only really comes in to feuds where needed, he doesn't just throw his weight around and create matches for the sake of it, playa. I'd like to believe he has plenty of input in to how the character behaves, and as much as I don't like authority figures, one in the style of Regal on NXT on main roster would be great to wheel out every now and then.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

One of the things William Regal has going for him is that he actually seems like he is an authority figure, not just a bloke cutting promos to set up matches - he has an actual office, not just some leather chairs and a poster for the next PPV, but a real office with management textbooks and whatnot. When he's doing contract signings, or coming out to make matches, he acknowledges that there won't be time on this week's show, or that the wrestler requesting the match hasn't earned it, and when he's involved in a pull-apart brawl or whatever, he seems genuinely concerned about the safety of people, and about his show; his reactions to Pete Dunne in the UK Tournament were superb for that. And when he does lose his temper, or book someone in a match as punishment, it feels justified, and you're reminded that it's still Regal, he's still a hard bastard behind it all, rather than it just feeling like a wrestling trope.

Absolutely this- and it comes down, simply, to good writing. Good writing can come from having the time to lay out these ideas within a small team and produce a month's worth of TV in one hit.

Bad and lazy writing can come from having a few days to put together a three hour show, only for the boss to rip the whole fucker a few hours before they air live and snarl 'REWRITE IT, PAL', with a team of 20 all pitching in ideas (or not pitching in ideas for fear of being torn a new one from the boss). Hence lazy segments and route 1, uninspired episodes of Raw each week. Fuck being a writer on Raw.

• Paid Members

I'm so pessimistic about Asuka's chances on the main roster. The women's divisions on RAW and Smackdown are a fraction of the size they are in NXT, with considerably less turnover, and less scope to have vaguely competitive matches with unsigned talent to bolster an undefeated streak. Asuka benefited from the weakness of the NXT division, in that her run coincided with the departure of the "Four Horsewomen" - on the main roster, how soon before she's exchanging wins with Charlotte every week, or just another body in a throwaway multi-woman time filler?