NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Price Devitt is a typical Japanglish shit name, like all the tag team names they have over there (Bullet Club being the exception, that's a great name).

Ā 

OOOOH. I love shit Japanglish names. Great Bash Heel? Killer Elite Squad? Some even better beauties historically - Holy Demon Army? Miracle Violence Connection? Love them.

• Paid Members

Ā 

Ā 

Price Devitt is a typical Japanglish shit name, like all the tag team names they have over there (Bullet Club being the exception, that's a great name).

OOOOH. I love shit Japanglish names. Great Bash Heel? Killer Elite Squad? Some even better beauties historically - Holy Demon Army? Miracle Violence Connection? Love them.

Yeah, if I thought anyone on here would love the shite Japanglish names, it'd be you! Miracle Violence Connection is one of those that has grated on me the most. Forever Hooligans is one of the shittest in recent years.

Ā 

I don't know if Team No Respect count, but they get a pass as they were awesome.

I think Killer Elite Squad is a better name than Bullet Club to be honest. I'm suprised they're not in NXT yet. They can't have given up on Davey Boy Jr.

Vince listened to "shit wrestler got good in Japan" once and booked Albert to beat Cena and Punk. He's likely quite gunshy on making a mistake like that again.

• Paid Members

Did Samoa Joe break the trend of wrestlers not changing their names? I remember he was brought in as a part timer initially, so they could get a rub off his name when they run house shows. And then he became a big deal on NXT. You'd think if Balor came in after Joe, he probably would have just been "Prince Devitt." NXT highing process these days seems to be Triple H and Regal wanking over old RF Video comps.

Ā 

If Itami and Balor debuted this month instead of when they did do you think they would have been known as Kenta and Prince Devitt?

No. Prince Devitt is a shit name and they didn't want the name KENTA to avoid confusion with Kobashi perhaps. Why do you ask, because of Nakamura? I do think Hideo Itami is a rubbish wrestling name, though.

Ā 

They don't want any confusion with Kobashi yet they are fine with there being another Austin on the roster?Ā 

Ā 

Saying they let AJ, Joe and Aries use their names because of name value in TNA is laughable especially considering the success Itami and Balor had in Japan.

Ā 

I think Ian has nailed it above, times are changing. Ā Not every indy guy is going to debut with their previous name like Swann, Gargano and Ciampa did but it seems WWE have thrown the generic name changer machine in the bin for now.

It isn't laughable to think they are retaining their names because of the TNA name value. Infact the only thing laughable is that dismissive attitude.

Ā 

Serveral guys have debuted from TNA and kept their name. It's not just a coincidence or they can't be bothered to think of new names anymore. TNA is as good as dead, NXT is literally just picking the bones right now. If WWE want to buy the tape library it makes sense to keep the names as they are.

Ā 

NXT knows their fans will have been familiar with TNA over the years, and at least have some fond memories of their top guys.

It isn't laughable to think they are retaining their names because of the TNA name value. Infact the only thing laughable is that dismissive attitude.

Ā 

Sorry that was my fault for not wording it correctly. I don't believe that having name value in TNA means nothing, it was more the argument that name value in TNA means more than New Japan and PunkStep's suggestion that that was the only reason they kept their name. TNA is as good as dead like you say. Had this of been 2 years ago I think they would all have different names, that's my opinion.

Ā 

My original question was would Itami and Balor be called Kenta and Devitt now? What do you think?

I think there were two main reasons for the name changes: Firstly, Vince wanted to put his stamp on things from the get-go and show guys that what they've achieved elsewhere has nothing to do with who they are in WWE. Rightly or wrongly, there's some logic to it.

Ā 

Secondly, WWE seem to have opened up to accepting that other smaller feds around the world do exist (see: global cruiser tourney/wwe.com articles). Bringing a wrestler on board without changing their name would have given the competition exposure when people typed their name into Google/YouTube etc - again, rightly or wrongly, you can see Vince's logic. They seem to have loosened up on it, especially since TNA are now as good as dead.

Ā 

Oh, and another one. Triple H is and always has been a closet internet fuck boy and he's finally persuaded Vinnie Mac to let him keep their names.

• Paid Members

My original question was would Itami and Balor be called Kenta and Devitt now? What do you think?

I still think they definitely would've changed Devitt's, purely on the basis that it's a shit nonsensical name. Finn Balor is actually a really good and much-improved name. I think they would've changed KENTA's too but I wished they hadn't. Hideo Itami is cack.

• Paid Members

Secondly, WWE seem to have opened up to accepting that other smaller feds around the world do exist (see: global cruiser tourney/wwe.com articles). Bringing a wrestler on board without changing their name would have given the competition exposure when people typed their name into Google/YouTube etc - again, rightly or wrongly, you can see Vince's logic.

I think the concern, primarily, was those little indy feds being able to advertise guys with the name they'd used in WWE, with impunity, once WWE had got shot of them.

Ā 

WWE wanted wrestlers to get their most exposure with a name WWE owned.

• Paid Members

That's correct - the name changes were so that they could trademark it and make sure others couldn't make money off it.

Ā 

It means, say, RevPro or someone couldn't put out a DVD of Devitt's best matches there and call it "Best of Finn Balor in RevPro" or something if he makes it big. They could, of course, always call it "Best of Prince Devitt", but then you're relying on the general public knowing they are one and the same.

Really enjoyed the show this week, back in front of the full sail lot who I can take or leave, but at least they make some noise. Those Axess shows were painful.

Ā 

Impressed by EY, good match to establish Joe as champ, I hope we get an ROH type scenario where Joe just goes on a tear defending against all manner of opponents, different styles.

Ā 

Also really enjoyed the Dillinger/Aries match, Dillinger has something going with this 10 gimmick, and I find him quite likeable, he's pretty quick witted aswel, I remember his match with Nakamura and he didn't shrink, he grasped the situation.

Ā 

I like No Way Jose :unsure: