Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

Has anyone caught Dave Chappelle's new specials on Netflix yet?

Just watched The Age Of Spin and it was absolutely terrific. Really challenging on the subject of Bill Cosby especially. Not as laugh-out-loud funny as his earlier specials but it's still some show. Might watch the other one later.

Yeah, watched Age of Spin, thought it was great...the intro about the Detroit debacle was killer...lined up the next one to watch later too!

Is it true that he got $60,000,000 for these?

• Moderators

We are getting three more specials on top of these, aren't we? I assumed these were on top of the deal he signed with Netflix rather than two of the three specials he signed to do with them.

One more, I think. During his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, he said that Netflix threw money at him for three specials, not knowing he'd already taped the first two, so he dusted those off as part of the three.

• Moderators

Watched the second Chapelle special. Wasn't quite as good as the first, but still good. He said some stupid shit about vaccination, but didn't go too deep so I was able to ignore it.

There's a bunch of other good shows on Netflix. There's some bill burr and some Jim Jeffries worth checking out, off the top of my head. The Chelsea Peretti one is good. Aziz Ansari is there; he's a bit of an acquired taste but I enjoy it.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Yeah, Chelsea Peretti's was pretty good. I hated every moment of Aziz Ansari's. Anthony Jeselnik was terrible, one of those shit comedians who tries to be controversial first and funny a distant second, utter shite. Same can be said for Tony Hinchcliffe, who was so desperately bad that he busts out an impression of someone with cerebral palsy at some point. Might watch the Katherine Ryan one next.

• Moderators

Yeah, I didn't enjoy jeselnik either. I watched it on bellend Steve's recommendation.. I'll still continue to take his recommendations though because usually he's on point.

I enjoyed the Katharine Ryan one. With Trevor Noah, I really enjoyed the one that was a documentary, but the one that was a straight stand up show I thought was just ok.

Hannibal Burress has some good shows on there also. Man, Netflix is such a great platform for stand up shows.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I watched Bill Burr for the first time on there recently (it was an old one where he still had hair) and loved it.

I will definitely be checking out the other 2 or 3 of his currently on Netflix, but when I discovered he had a weekly podcast I downloaded a few and was disappointed to find he mostly just rambles about American Football and Baseball.

One I have not been impressed with after starting THREE of his specials without getting to the end of any of them was Louis CK.

I know he his very highly rated, but something about his style didn't click with me.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I didn't enjoy jeselnik either. I watched it on bellend Steve's recommendation.. I'll still continue to take his recommendations though because usually he's on point.

I enjoyed the Katharine Ryan one. With Trevor Noah, I really enjoyed the one that was a documentary, but the one that was a straight stand up show I thought was just ok.

Hannibal Burress has some good shows on there also. Man, Netflix is such a great platform for stand up shows.

Yeah, I like Hannibal Burress as well. He's got some great turns of phrase.

I think their quality has improved over the last couple of years but I still would like to see them go more quality over quantity. I mean, how many more fucking fat jokes do they think people need to hear from Ralphie May?