The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Fucking yes! Never expected my number one to even be in it, after the top 10 was announced. Cracking stuff. First watched this in 1991, from the video man. My Dad told me he was talking to him in the pub and he'd said "tell your Ian, I've got that new Hulk Hogan film in if he wants to watch it". I own this of big boxed VHS, pirated VHS, in a double VHS with Mr. Nanny and on DVD. I've got a shitload of copies of this. Let's have a look at it.

suburban-commando-1991-dvd-front-cover-14464.jpg

Shep Ramsey:

ClongassuburbanoGridCapa.jpg

Hulk Hogan as Shep Ramsey is probably the best way to cast him. Big fucker, with no clue of how the human race works. Hogan was at his very peak during this time period. He was still the biggest draw in the United States and he could still command a movie role where the cast weren't scraps from shit soaps and old films. Its the only Hulk Hogan film on IMDB where most of the cast have photos to accompany their filmographies. Shep is an space warrior, who's work has become sloppy and he has been adviced to take a few weeks off and to just chill for a bit. Even though Shep disagrees that his level of workrate has slipped in 1990, he takes some time off anyway. Upon his arrival on earth, he takes an obvious dislike to it. Earth is just to safe and boring for him. Hogan picked a good part here. He just lets the film work around him. The cast is so strong that he only needs to be himself. He even kept the tashe on in the movie.

Charlie Wilcox:

suburbancommando.jpg

Definitely Christopher Lloyd's finest hour. Wilcox is a walkover who meets a bigger, cooler and more heroic man in he form of Shep Ramsey and their rollerocaster relationship ends with them shaking hands and Charlie killing the General Suitor, to the sound of his kids saying "Dad, your the greatest". Only Hulk Hogan can make Doc Brown play the straight man. What makes him even better in the role is that he has a look on his face constantly as if to say "oh, bollocks". He plays it like he expects something to go wrong.

Jenny Wilcox:

157546_large.jpg

Fresh off Popeye, Shelley Duvall isn't that far removed from Olive character in this film. He's plays an over the top pain in the arse, who wears the trousers in the family and has so little confidence that Charlie can ask his boss for an extra few quid that she just turns the garage into a spare room without telling him. Its Shelley Duvall, though. She's always great.

The Undertaker and a man who looks like the Undertaker:

277309_large.jpg

The big man's debut on the silver screen. Unlike the Rock or Steve Austin and admittedly, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker was a seasoned thespian before he made his famous debut at Survivor Series 1990. His mate was rumoured to have been played by Crush, but the role was given to Tony Longo.

General Suitor:

277307_large.jpg887-18554.gif

You had the Predator rip-off, but it was more of a knowing wink that pure theft. When he's not suited up in his alien outfit, Suitor is camp as Christmas. Never saw him in anything else, but Suitor is a right giggle. I've checked his IMDB, I've seen fuck all else he's been in. He hasnt even got an wikipedia page. He wasnt in the film much at all, usually allowing the Undertaker and his mate to do his dirty work. But he showed enough for me to want to see more of him.

Adrian Beltz:

87367_large.jpg

Larry Miller's great in this. He plays the smarmy boss in two of my favourite films. This and the Nutty Professor. He's one of those actors you've seen in loads of films. The way he keeps that grin on his face in every film I've ever seen him in, just cracks me up. He's in this film a lot surprisingly, always popping up with a bit of faux life coaching, to get him employees to do all the work for him as he takes the credit.

Margie:

87365_large.jpg

Shep even got pussy in this film. Her name is Jo Anne Dearing, and her IMDB is suspect to say the least. She hasnt been seen in years, so one can only assume life imitated art and she just disappeared off the earth. I always liked her part in this, though. She was the only one in the movie not overcome by Shep's size and star power, and her lack of feared seemed to be an attractive quality because she ended up in the back of his ship by the end of it.

Other notes:

She ...

12253-18554.gif

... now looks like:

LauraMooney1-med.jpg

Did it have shit on the market? Not enough to comand the UKFF Favourite Fifty Films, but it kept its hand in. It had a game out on a few consoles of the period, but there should have been figures, t-shirts and all sorts.

top-10-wrestlers-turned-actors-20061013052052228.jpg

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

I see, how, erm exciting...

"What are you gunna do fight me? This is the 90's Im gunna sue you or something?" is that close from the mechanic dude

Saw it at the cinema a long time ago.. Went to Burger King before hand. I remember more about that than I do the film :(

• Paid Members

What a fucking great choice, can't argue with it at all. I have fond memories of Taker having an incredibly high-pitched voice, had me in stitches as an 8 year old.

Still, no Rocky in the entire list? Arnie has almost his entire filmography in there- but no love for Ivan Drago, Clubber Lang or Thunderlips??

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Aside from even mentioning the Rocky films, I'm shocked there hasn't been any room in this list for The Breakfast Club, The Lost Boys, Stand By Me, First Blood, Tombstone, Backdraft, point Break, Roadhouse and Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Some very good films on the list, and some that I really never expected.

I'd like to commend Gladstone on putting this list together. He's obviously put a lot of work into it and it's been great reading. I for one would have given up after reading about 5 e-mails.

Disgrace. Should've been Highlander, you divs. My only memory of Suburban Commando is Undertaker's squeaky voice as well, might watch it again.

The biggest giveaway is the notion that Moo was logged in at some point.

Considering one of the quotes is from bobbins and mentions laughing, I'm not sure they're meant to be taken seriously.

I enjoyed Step Brothers, but it wasn't a patch on Anchorman. I like the mix of low-end slapstick and clever social comedy in Anchorman, there's so much going on, whereas Step Brothers is just one gag stretched out for 2 hours.

Talladega Nights is far, far better than either of them.