The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Nah, we're not certain it's a comedy. I just seem to have set the hares running with something I may or may not have mis-remembered.

I've never seen Step Brothers. Is it really that good, then? As much as I want to see many of the films that have cropped up in this list, anything recommended of the comedy genre will be pushed to the top of that pile.

• Moderators

I loved Step Brothers. Will Ferrell's good in it, John C. Reilly knocks it out of the park (Always stealing films, that man. Casualties of War, Talledega Night, and of course REED ROTHCHILD as you well know), Mary Steenburgen is super hot in it, and they all wear awesome 80's style t-shirts and y-fronts that I'd kill to own.

Recommmended.

• Paid Members
Whilst we're talking Ferrell - I really enjoyed Blades of Glory, but don't hear that mentioned too often, if ever. What did you guys make of it?

Love Blades of Glory. Re-watched it about a week ago actually, it was the first time I'd seen it since becoming a massive fan of both Amy Poehler and Will Arnett through Parks and Recreation and Arrested Development / 30 Rock so I probably enjoyed it even more on second watch.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

No! Why? Well, because....IT'S HERE!

This is it, the moment of truth!

Suburban Commando (1991)

Suburban_Commando_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 4

IMDB Rating: 3.9

What's it about?

Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Shep Ramsey runs wild on YOU?!

What do we say?

A superb piece of no-selling from all those who voted for it in not mentioning it amongst the guesses made in the last couple of days, I have to say! The only film on the list to be nominated as number 1 four times, the only film on the list to feature Shelley Duvall (no The Shining?!) and the only film on the list to feature Hulk Hogan. And it's the one that matters.

"Christopher Lloyd's finest performance as Shep Ramsey's sidekick Charlie Wilcox." - The BarbarIAN

"A genuinely top quality and funny comedy - panned by critics but adored by fans, just like all the best films, and a proper star turn by the Hulkster. Love it!" - Loki

"I would say that I expected next to nothing from this film. I just stuck it on after getting back to Birkenhead after a game (we won, of course) because there was nothing else on, and it was magnificent. I genuinely laughed almost the whole way through." - bobbins!

"Totally, totally awesome! It's got Hulk, it's got Taker, it's got Emmet Brown - what more could you ask for from a film?" - Moo

I have to say that when I rented it out back in 1992 and watched it with my best mate, it really was only because it had Hogan in it. It being funny or a good film was completely secondary to this fact. But then something happened. I laughed a lot. And found myself enjoying it immensely. So we rented it out again next weekend and it was just as good.

Funny. Good. Rewards repeated viewings. Hmm. I don't think there was any way I was expecting that even when I was only 15 and was yet to discover Kieslowski and Fellini. But the signs should have been there. In Shelley Duvall and Christopher Lloyd, you have two accomplished actors, one of them majoring in comedy, providing Hogan with the thespian back-up he needs. The superb comedy actor Larry Miller (from the Seinfeld episode The Doorman) gets many of the biggest laughs.

And it's all helmed by Burt Kennedy, a long time director who, for the early part of his career, dealt with B-movie Westerns before in the mid-60s to early 70s he started working with the likes of John Wayne and James Garner on cracking Westerns like Support Your Local Gunfighter, Hannie Caulder and The Train Robbers. That said, he had never done much comedy, but with the last major film of his career, he makes the transition smoothly and unexpectedly well.

But then there's Mr Hogan himself. With one-liners delivered expertly, combat and slapstick scenes obviously easily negotiated, and charisma there in abundance, he does about as well as you could possibly have asked for. He looks and acts a genuine movie star here - and he could have been an even bigger one if he wanted.

So there you go! The top film is done and dusted, and the list is complete and, if you want to check out the number 1 film yourself, here you go:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwpueCNtxFQ...player_embedded

Some good bits!

Suburban Commando: Urdu Edition!

• Moderators

The right choice. I always thought Christopher Lloyd was at his best here, even better than his performance in Dennis. Also Shep's delivery of the word "France" when they ask him where he's from is one of the finest moments in cinematic history. I've never quite understood why TV stations haven't treated the film as the Sunday afternoon classic it should be.

Edited by PowerButchi