The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It seems the more I read over the last 2 pages, the less convinced I am that the real number 1 is actually coming today....the real number 1 IS coming today right? Incidentally, I was reminded of this awesome review in the Washington Post:

‘Suburban Commando’ (PG)

By Richard Harrington

Washington Post Staff Writer

October 11, 1991

"Suburban Commando" feels like it was written by 14-year-olds for an audience of 12-year-olds, but it's likely to be enjoyed only by an audience of 10-year-olds (and barely at that). A lumbering Hulk Hogan vehicle, it is a cartoon acted out by unanimated characters, including several veteran actors who should seriously think about changing agents (are you listening, Christopher Lloyd and Shelley Duvall?). As for Hogan, he wrestles with his lines and they win time and again. If only his delivery were as well oiled as his body. Maybe Hogan's Saturday morning cartoon alter ego should have been brought in as a stunt double for scenes involving dialogue.

Hogan plays a space cowboy being hunted by a pair of bounty hunters sent by a madman who would be ruler of the universe. The Hulkster has crash-landed in a lily-white suburb, and while waiting for his ship to recharge he takes a spare room with a quirky family (Lloyd and Duvall). Along the way he deals with those pesky hunters, skateboarding kids and next-door neighbors who resemble professional wrestlers but who, in one of the film's few successful jokes, threaten to end a dispute with the Hulkster not with their fists ("Are you nuts?") but with their lawyers ("This is the '90s, we're gonna sue").

Too bad that option's not open to moviegoers.

The film reeks of cheapness: It looks as if it was shot on leftover film stock, and the soundtrack seems to have been assembled from scraps of a dozen other films. The effects are K mart and the acting is on par with the script. On the other hand, there is a countdown clock toward the end, so you won't have any difficulty gauging how much time is left on this bomb.

Even then, it goes poof.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

But seriously.

Thanks to everyone that sent in entries, and thanks to everyone that said they were going to send in entries but couldn't be arsed, and thanks to people who didn't send in entries but have said that if they had sent in entries that they would have nominated stuff that was on the list anyway. All your efforts were appreciated to varying degrees.

No thanks to Green for dropping off the face of the earth and offering no help at all, the hippie bugger. Thanks to everyone that sent in write-ups and gave me quotes to use as well, because I don't think anyone wanted to just read me waffling on endlessly. And thanks to everyone discussing the films on both this and the shitlist thread - it's made it good fun and I'd be happy to do another one again next year if there happens to be any interest in it.

Following on from this thread, I will be doing a spin-off thread from this that isn't a list or voting thread before anyone has a conniption, but you will have to see what that is when I publish it. I will also, once the dust has settled slightly on the discussions arising from this one, be bunging out some stats and stuff that people might be interested in in amongst everyone presumably publishing their own top 10s as well. What I will do is link those posts from the opening post in case they get lost in amongst everyone posting their own lists. I will also do this on the shitlist.

And thanks to Ian and company for the Hennig-esque selling of Suburban Commando - and to Ian for the original concept and great supplementary post.

Alright, enough waffling! Here's your number 1....seriously.

The Big Lebowski (1998)

Biglebowskiposter.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 3

IMDB Rating: 8.2

What's it about?

Jeff Bridges has his rug stolen in between games of ten pin bowling, John Goodman telling Steve Buscemi to shut the fuck up, and Julianne Moore trying to get up the duff.

What do we say?

It looks as though The Dude really does abide!

"I know quoting movies all the time makes you a dick but there are so many lines from this film that make it into my everyday conversations on such a regular basis. The dialogue is just tremendous. This was my introduction to the Coen Bros, and still my favourite." - Chest Rockwell

"One of those great comedies that makes you laugh every time without fail." - ezaki

Chest's got a point about the dialogue, you know. It is fantastic. But it usually is in Coen Brothers films. There must be SOMETHING about Lebowski that put it well clear of the rest of the Coens films. How did it manage to be so easily clear of every other Coens film ever made, not one of which ever really threatened to even be in the top 50? How did it manage to top the table from the first day of voting, only once losing top spot to Die Hard briefly for one day?

I think it's the cast. Oh, the cast. I always judge a film's cast strength on how good the support is. Here you've got Sam Elliott, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ben Gazzara, Peter Stormare, John Turturro and of course, JON POLITO. Oh, and Tara Reid. But you can't win 'em all. You really cannot ask for more than that. And that's just the support cast, may I remind you - half of them get little more than elongated cameos. It's an extraordinary collection of brilliant and adaptable character actors.

The leads are not bad either. Obviously. Jeff Bridges is a magnificent and multi-talented actor, dragging his feet convincingly to the iconic performance of his career to date, deadpanning beautifully and incredulous to superb comedy effect. John Goodman and Steve Buscemi as his bumbling bowling mates make up the Stooges, with Goodman proving, yet again, that he is one of THE great Hollywood comedy actors. Ever. Without discussion. And also, Julianne Moore's surreal artist is almost too easy for an actress of her range - and she threatens to steal this film when she's on duty.

Then again, it might be a labyrinthine plot that threatens to become all too complicated for its own good, especially as you try and keep track of the sublime cast, but just about manages to reign itself in from Lynchian ridiculousness with a neatly tied ending that is just about absurd enough to be really funny but not utterly ridiculous.

On a personal note, it's not my favourite Coens film. In fact, I'm not sure it would be top 5 for me, actually. But it's a testament to their amazing consistency and quality that it is a film that I thoroughly enjoyed on both occasions I've seen it, yet it can't sneak past Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, Raising Arizona and No Country For Old Men as my favourite of theirs. They're good, aren't they? In fact, are they the greatest behind-the-camera double act of all time now? How does their body of work stand up to, say, Powell and Pressburger? A post-list debate in the making perhaps, but yes, they ARE good.

And so is The Big Lebowski. Great, in fact.

But it's no Suburban Commando.

Some good bits!

"There are rules!"

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man!"

"Oh, I know that guy, he's a nihilist."

"Sometimes there's a man...."