The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Far Out.

I didn't enter my list, but Big Lebowski would be my number 1. I adore it.

The best thing about the script is how The Dude pick up things that have been referenced earlier into his dialouge. ('This agression will not stand,' 'You mean couitus?' etc...) It's really subtle but fantastic when you pick up on it.

And Creedence fucking rule.

• Paid Members

Still disappointed there was no Rocky movies (or Mr. Nanny). Rocky and Rocky III should have been up there at least.

Well done though, Gladstone. This thread has been well worthy of Gold status. Really loved the contributions from the rest of the forum as well. Its threads like this that proves the forum isnt as shit as some would have you believe. Well done everyone. Apart from those who slagged off SubCom (thats my little name for Suburban Commando I made up).

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

I think it's only fair that a Coen Brothers movie takes number one spot. Depending on the day of the week, I'd be happy to see any one of a number of Coen films on rotation in this slot. Miller's Crossing and No Country were both in my Top 10. Big Lebowski is just as good. Fargo too would have been acceptable. I think they're the greatest filmmakers of the modern era, if you look at quality versus output. With the exception of the Ladykillers remake and A Serious Man (which I thought was awful), every other film is top drawer.

It's also a sad day when you look on the Wikipedia page of an actor like Jon Polito, and find one of the few things said about him is

Polito is an openly gay man

• Paid Members

Fuck yes, one of my all time favourites that I used to watch once a month without fail. As previously mentioned, so many quotable lines that have seemed to work their way into the vernacular of my group of friends. Brilliantly acted, wonderfully written & the depth of memorable supporting characters sets this apart from the rest.

'Are you ready to be fucked?'

• Paid Members

Already started getting a few of these through on my LoveFilm sine they were announced, watched Fargo for the first time last night (and bloody loved it), I've got Kalifornia coming today hopefully, which didn't make the list but came up highly recommended a few times in discussion over other Brad Pitt movies.

Great work Gladders, definitely one for OT Gold I think. I actually wasn't that keen on The Big Lebowski but I've only seen it once and own it on DVD so I'll give it another go this week and see.

• Moderators
Still disappointed there was no Rocky movies (or Mr. Nanny). Rocky and Rocky III should have been up there at least.

Yeah, I was disappointed that there were no Indiana Jones films (in either list, if you include the 4th one) but as someone said at the start of this thing those kinda franchises probably split votes and suffered because of that.

Just for shits and giggles, here's my Top 10 wot I sent, though it'd be different if I did it today (no Chinatown, no Unforgiven!!)

Best

So hard, Gladders, so hard, and it changes all the time, but I’ve tried to pick a spread of films and so haven’t gone overboard on particular directors, so only 1 Coen and 1 Ridley Scott film. No Predator either! There are some pretty dodgy shots in it and I want my list to be perfect.

Blade Runner

I’ve gushed on and on about this film on the forum many times, so in brief – it’s the most beautiful film ever made. Everything here is of the highest quality – the art direction, the framing of shots, the exquisite in-camera sfx, the lighting, the blocking. It’s the perfect example of cinema-as-art. Coupled to that you’ve got a complex and thought-provoking storyline and some career-best performances by Ford and Hauer. Oh, and the finest film soundtrack of all time.

Die Hard

This film is the polar opposite of Blade Runner in many respects – it’s cinema-as-entertainment. Die Hard is the perfect action film – exciting, funny, spectacular stunts and roaring weapons, bloody punchups and a charismatic hero. The genius conceit of the film (one which launched a thousand unsuccessful imitators) was limiting almost the entire film to a single location. This concentrates the drama and adds to the suspense, plus provides a wonderfully dirty, crawly, hurty locale for Bruce to strut his stuff. I watched this film again this Christmas, as I do every year, and it’s just as good the 20th time as the first. That’s really hard. McTiernan did this and Predator inside 2 years. Impressive.

The Godfather Part 2

I put this in here because, even though there are films I like more, it’s clearly one of the great works of cinema and deserves to be high up the poll. Epic in scale and minute in detail, it’s the best paced film ever with its long, languorous set ups and moments of gruesome, instantaneous violence, mirroring the lifestyles of the gangsters it portrays. Marlon Brando may have created The Godfather, but De Niro fleshes the character out. Such different acting styles, one perfect character.

Robocop

This is such an extraordinary film, it’s hard to describe. A young director of strange European indie films being given the helm of a huge Hollywood blockbuster, this is the result – a film that is really, really violent and really, really funny, and it does both without any crunching changes in tone. It’s probably slightly less surreal today than it was on release, mainly because the dystopian future it describes looks a hell of a lot closer to the modern world than they could have predicted in 1987. Like Dawn Of The Dead, it’s a love-letter to modern consumerism that also warns of its pitfalls and lays out the potential consequences of unchecked capitalism. A film that rewards repeat viewings with more and more detail.

Miller's Crossing

Wait, a pastiche of film noir that ranks higher than any actual film noir? Well, yes. I should probably have Chinatown in here, but Miller’s Crossing is just so... clever. Like Verhoeven above, the Coens have that magic ability to make films that work both as a homage/pastiche to a particular genre AND make a cracking example of it in its own right. I’m never sure exactly how seriously they take any of their films, but considering they wrote the story as well as directing, it’s an amazing piece of work. Great final shot, real magic.

The Andromeda Strain

I’ve seen this film once, about 15 years ago, and it’s never left me. A rare attempt to do something completely different with cinema. No music, no flashy direction, no grizzled heroes. Just an insanely scary and plausible premise and 2 hours or so of chillingly suspenseful atmosphere. One of those films that could only have been made during the 70s, that golden age between the collapse of the old studio system and the rise of the new, when entirely left-field experiments could get mainstream funding and no shackles.

Jaws

So, being realistic, Spielberg is the greatest director of all time, isn’t he? I mean, even if you’re not an avid fan, you can’t deny the sheer quality of his resum

Edited by Loki