The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

My list:

Best

1. The Big Lebowski

2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

3. Sin City

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Fight Club

6. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

7. Snatch

8. The Godfather

9. O Brother, Where Art Thou?

10. Robin Hood: Men In Tights

Worst

1. You, Me and Dupree

2. Simon Sez

3. Napoleon Dynamite

• Paid Members

Blow Out, blimey. I've got that and last watched it about 5 years ago i think. Wasn't as impressed with it then as i was the first time. But i liked it and the ending, may have to give it another go.

Big Lebowski huh? Interesting, didn't see that coming. Didn't even enter my mind yet, i'm not wholly surprised it's the number 1 of this board. Seven is right though. As are others when they say the Coens have done better. Burn After Reading is massively under-rated but, it's probably not been seen by many. It's better though, i love it so and today it would be right in my top 10.

Good work on this Gladders. It's been a joy to follow and be a part of. If you do, do it again i'd like to suggest a top 20 next time due to the number of '...if this was a top 20 favourites' comments. That and it would be interesting to see how different the results would be.

Surprises of the list for me...

The lack of American Physco, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Reservoir Dogs, The Shining, Rain Man, Rocky, Fargo, Almost Famous, Heat. The lack of Scorsese, Kubrick. The lack of Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and Dustin Hoffman.

The dominance of Pitt, Spacey and in particular Schwarzenegger.

Great list though overall, really.

I don't completely remember my whole Top 10 order but 1-4 was:

Fight Club

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Pulp Fiction

The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford

The rest i'm not sure on the order and it kept changing. Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, American Beauty, Adaptation and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang made up the rest though. As did Vanilla Sky. Which nobody else will agree with but, it's got Penelope Cruz' breasts in it which makes it top 10 worthy all on it's own.

Suburban Commando was #11.

The list would probably be very different, besides the top 4, upon voting yesterday, today or tomorrow.

I sent a my original list to Green and didn't end up doing a second one. But here we go:

Top Ten: this list could alternate from week to week and dependant on the mood.

American Psycho

Big Lebowski

Predator

Die Hard

Total Recall

Aliens

Boogie Nights

The Empire Strikes Back

Requiem For A Dream

Under Siege 2: Dark Territory

And the worst :

Repo Men

The Thin Red Line

Reeker

• Paid Members
5. Return of the Jedi

Jedi is your favourite Star Wars film? Good man, mine too, always presumed your fav was Empire like everyone else. Fuck Hoth, Endor is where it's at.

Ok, so my top 10 (ps I didn't vote- done my list too late)

1) Scarface

2) American Psycho

3) Human Traffic

4) Pulp Fiction

5) ROCKY FUCKING IV

6) Twentyfour Hour Party People

7) Monty Python & the Holy Grail

8) The Beach

9) Reservoir Dogs

10) Goodfellas

Just missing the cut: Boiler Room, Office Space, Swimming With Sharks, Glengarry Glen Ross, Goldfinger, Donnie Brasco, Deliverance

I can't remember my list exactly but what I know was on there were:

1. Cool Hand Luke

It's a great film, the first time I saw it I was drawn to the charisma of Paul Newman and capitvated by the film. It's a wonderful story against an strict authority and always makes me go from laughing out loud ( mainly at 'Ohhh Lucilllllle) to heartbroken.

2. Shawshank Redemption

Again, it's a film which I thought was incredible the first time I saw it and each time I see it I still feel the same melancholy up to the end. Brilliant film

3. Airplane

It's daft, silly and stuffed with gags. This film is incredible, the deadpan delivery of all involved is quality.

There I get confused but I did include:

Swiss Miss

A film where Laurel and Hardy end up moving a piano across a riggity rope bridge while being fondle by a gorilla. Just wonderful to watch again and again

Duck Soup

It's got good jokes and a clever parody of government, the fact it still rings true after 70 years just shows how corrupt and shitty politics are.

Blues Brothers

Great acting, amazing songs and tons and tons of cars being fucked up. It truly was the film of my childhood.

Blazing Saddles

Mel Brooks is a genius and proved it with this sublime commentary on racism. And years ahead of it's time.

I can't remember what I put after that. Possibly Monsuier Verdoux and MicMacs.

• Paid Members
Good work on this Gladders. It's been a joy to follow and be a part of. If you do, do it again i'd like to suggest a top 20 next time due to the number of '...if this was a top 20 favourites' comments. That and it would be interesting to see how different the results would be.

I'll address this now, actually - would people have preferred a top 20 to a top 10?

• Paid Members

I dunno, I kinda struggled to pick a top 10 in fairness. Once you get past your favourite 4 or 5 it just becomes a list of films you really like that you'd probably replace if you had another good think about it.

• Paid Members

My list, not that anyone cares.

Best

1) Its a Wonderful Life: cracking film, the ultimate feel good movie.

2) Duck Soup: The Marx Brothers at the top of their game and as funny now as it was back then.

3) 12 Angry Men: one of the most entertaining films in which nothing actually happens.

4) Terminator: Amazing, Arnie was more than perfect for this role.

5) Predator: Not just a great sci fi film but a great film in general. The pacing and characterizations are spot on.

6) Airplane: Surely not? Dont call me Shirley.

7) High Plains Drifter: Eastwood at his best, cold, chilling and yet charismatic. No matter what he does thats wrong he's still in the right.

8) Labrynth: Bowies best peformance ever.

9) Fight Club: I still love this film, Brad Pitt is cracking.

10) Rocky Horror Picture Show... yeah? And?

Worst:

1) Cabin Fever: seriously, fuck off.

2) Catwoman: tested even my ability to watch TV.

3) Battlefield Earth: Scientology The Movie. Just as bollocks as the religion.

4) I Am Omega: Terrible, terrible rip off of I Am Legend/The Omega Man, just bad in every way.

Good work with this. Never took part but did enjoying following it the last month or so.

Being chronically indecisive, having a bad memory, and having difficulty separating old films I've seen dozens of times from newer ones I've seen once or twice put paid to any hope in hell of me being able to pick out 10. I could maybe narrow it down to 30 or so but that would be no use to anyone. For what it's worth, some of the ones I would've considered that don't seem to have had much of a mention include The Towering Inferno, Zodiac, Smokey & The Bandit, Untouchables, Traffic, Beverly Hills Cop, First Blood, Cliffhanger, Backdraft, Carlitos Way, Mississippi Burning, Coming To America, In the Line of Fire, and The Fugitive. Then about the same number again that

Here's my list again. was reposted from Green's aborted thread, hence why 10 and 10

Top Films of All Time

1. The Wizard of Speed and Time- Seminal Stop Motion/Special effects film about the small guy in Hollywood, trying to get his films on to TV and hit the big time. It has a Woody Allen (Lookalike) Cameo and Tubbs out of Miami Vice in it. A great Soundtrack and some amazing effects. Top Banana

2. Transformers The Movie (Animated)- Pure Nostaligia hit, this film has been apart of my life for so long it would hard to remember a time without it. Action sequences, death of Optimus Prime, effectively Megatron and Orson Welles last film. Cracking story. Awesome Soundtrack. What is not to like?

3. The Big Lebowski- The Dude Abides, Shut the Fuck up Donny

4. Robocop- Frankly awesome action movie, with some biting satire of 1980's culture. Seminal Classic and rightly so

5. Kelly's Heroes- Heist movie, in World War 2? Cracking cast including Clint Eastwood and Telly Savalas, awesome Lalo Schifrin soundtrack, great story and just an amazing all round film

6. Blazing Saddles- Mel Brook's finest hour, endlessly quotable, very funny and breaks the 4th wall at the end. Immense

7. Star Wars Empire Strikes Back- The 'Dark' One, best of the original triliogy, from the Battle on Hoth which is epic in scope to the showdown on Bespin, a quality film all round.

8. Starship Troopers- Never have (m)any of the actors in this been better. Disaster/War movie, lots of satire and a piss take on the entire cast, plus it has Dina Meyer in it, so it's win on that score as well.

9. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot- Clint and Jeff Bridges again, and another Heist Movie. Massively underated. Jeff Bridges, is utterly amazing in it. A non happy ending as well. Superb.

10. Demolition Man- Sandra Bullock, Sly Stallone, and Wesley Snipes. Great action film, set in the near future, yet unnerringly predictive of what is to come. Still could be worse could be a Rat Burger?

Worst 10 Films of All Time

1. Batman and Robin- Just Why? Fucking awful film, no redeeming features whatsoever.

2. Plan 9 from Outer Space- Ed Wood's Opus. Utterly awful film, but likeable because it is so awful

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show- Overated Bag of Wank. I dont care about the Time Warp nor that Meat Loaf is in it. Fucking balls of the highest order.

4. The Bourne Ultimatum- Awful, complete let down of a film. Bourne? Utter shite more like

5. The Talented Mr Ripley- Overly long, pretentious bag of wank. No, wait its arty! No, its a fucking chore to watch this dross, awful.

6. Batman Begins- Shakey Cam, headache inducing puke of the worst kind.

7. Showgirls- Why?

8. Catwomen- Coming off her performance as Jinx, in Die Another Day, this film gets everything wrong from plot to acting to special effects to everything

9. James Bond Die Another Day- Bond, done wrong. Its no wonder the franchise with Brosnan ( and has had been since the 1960's) died after this point. Utterly cringe inducing, film with no redeemable features at all.

10. Grease II- I think Id rather rake my own eyes out with an acid tipped screwdriver than watch this abortion of a film again.

• Paid Members
5. Return of the Jedi

Jedi is your favourite Star Wars film? Good man, mine too, always presumed your fav was Empire like everyone else. Fuck Hoth, Endor is where it's at.

Yeah it always has been, although the last hour of Revenge of the Sith pushes it very close now. The fall of the Republic and the rise of Palpatine was always the most interesting era of the saga for me so seeing that in RotS was awesome, and it has the best fights. But Palpatine being most prominent in Jedi in the original trilogy was probably the reason it was my favourite. Also I always loved the scenes at Jabbas Palace and the Sarlaac pit.