The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I'm glad The Sting made it in, I expected it to make it, but maybe a little higher than it finished. As for Robocop, I'm not a fan, and would have thought that The Terminator would beat it on the list. However I guess many people probably put T-2 in ahead of it, whereas I'd like to hope that Robocop didn't have this problem with it's sequels . . .

Pretty much bob on there Sev...

No he isn't, he is a Manc.

:laugh:

He lives in Red Hill. I wasn't born in Surrey either, I come from Duane's stomping ground, the sleepy seaside town of Bournemouth. So by your logic, I'm not from Surrey either.

I think my film tastes are completely out of tune. I'd never dream of saying Batman, Jurassic Park or Spiderman were anywhere near the greatest films of all time. Superheroes and fantasy films don't appeal to me at all, I honestly thought they were only made for kids until that last Batman with Heath Ledger got all that universal praise.

I don't like Back To The Future either, and I know that's pretty blasphemous. Hasn't dated well for me.

• Paid Members
I think my film tastes are completely out of tune. I'd never dream of saying Batman, Jurassic Park or Spiderman were anywhere near the greatest films of all time. Superheroes and fantasy films don't appeal to me at all, I honestly thought they were only made for kids until that last Batman with Heath Ledger got all that universal praise.

I don't like Back To The Future either, and I know that's pretty blasphemous. Hasn't dated well for me.

It's not a Greatest Films of all time thread.

No he isn't, he is a Manc.

:laugh:

He lives in Red Hill. I wasn't born in Surrey either, I come from Duane's stomping ground, the sleepy seaside town of Bournemouth. So by your logic, I'm not from Surrey either.

I never said that you were, you spenk. Bear in mind I live in Manchester but don't refer to myself as a Manc.

• Paid Members

It's not a Greatest Films of all time thread.

Indeed. I don't know how many times this needs to be said in this thread before it permeates.

• Paid Members

=25

Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

star_wars_movie_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.8

GLADSTONE'S CHOICE - 6TH PLACE

What's it about?

They are the droids they're looking for - but Alec Guinness is pulling a fast one, the sly old fox.

What do we say?

It's actually been quite a few years since I've seen the first Star Wars film so I'm basing my placing of it on my memories of it up until my last viewing. I doubt my opinion of it would change on a viewing today.

One of my favourite childhood films and one that has never really diminished with the dozens of further viewings I gave it, I am in some ways loathe to include it given what an utter, utter bastard George Lucas became. But I still love it, and I say that as someone who generally prefers more serious minded science fiction rather than the kind of thing you get with the first three good Star Wars films.

There's no way in my mind that it could have been bettered considering what they were working with at the time, and no matter how much Lucas may try now. The story and backstory are wonderfully well pitched, there are numerous memorable scenes and set pieces, and the performances, given the type of film, are outstanding.

The cast is one that, right at the top, is packed with (then) relative unknowns but has a raft of reliable and great actors in support, which was an interesting way round of doing it. I'm not sure why people thought Mark Hamill would go on to have a long and fruitful career, because he clearly had significant limits and it was pretty obvious that Harrison Ford was going to be the major star turn career-wise from the get-go.

It's aged quite well, too. Of course, getting a hold of the original version gets more and more impossible by the day but that is the definitive version no matter how much Lucas may not want that to be the case. Fuck you, Lucas. Leave it alone.

Some good bits!

"Move along!"

• Paid Members
You can't argue with this one at all, can you? Empire Strikes Back will surely be higher on here, possibly Jedi too? I don't think we'll see the prequel trilogy on here as I can't see them higher than Ep 4.

Anybody voting for the prequels had their votes nullified and personal details passed on to the relevant authorities.