The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

HOW THE FUCK DID THAT NOT GET IN THE TOP 50? PART 1!

I've spoilered it for people who don't want to know, so please do the same when discussing any films here:-

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

* Fargo (1996) - Only nominated by one person despite being regarded by many as the Coen Brothers' true masterpiece. I'm personally amazed it missed out. But I didn't nominate it, so I've got no reason to complain.

* The Goonies (1985) - Beloved action adventure, hugely popular back then and just as much now. Only nominated by two people, though. Again, a genuine surprise for me considering some of the films that made the final cut.

* Leon (1994) - Amazingly, only nominated by one person. A few years ago it would have made my list but has been nudged out by a couple of others since then, but Luc Besson's greatest film might have been a considered an obvious top 50 choice.

* This Is England (2006) - Not the only surprise Shane Meadows failure on the list....

* Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - ....as this didn't make it, in addition. Both films were only nominated once each.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Shit I'm the only one to vote for the Shane Meadows films. I thought This is England would have got some love atleast. Meadows is a genius in my eyes and while This is England is probably the better all round film no film has ever left me feeling the way way Dead Mans Shoes did, just sublime.

Also why the feck didn't I put Fargo in my top 10, I'm such a tit

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I just can't believe they are remaking Spiderman again! It's not even been 10 years since the last franchise got started.

Tell me about it. Plus, the Spiderman films were fucking massive, stupidly high-grossing and more merch than John Cena. I understand a bit when they do it when another recent version bombed, like they did with Incredible Hulk, but this seems silly to me.

I shilly-shallied about voting, but now I'm glad I didn't... No -----? You twats are twats.

Ah, but would it really have been in your Top 10? That's the thing - I like it, but I can think of 10, probably 20 films I like more. Same with the others Gladstone mentioned.

If Gladstone had had the time/technology to collate everyone's Top 50 into a Top 50, then I suspect the results would be very different.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
I just can't believe they are remaking Spiderman again! It's not even been 10 years since the last franchise got started.

Tell me about it. Plus, the Spiderman films were fucking massive, stupidly high-grossing and more merch than John Cena. I understand a bit when they do it when another recent version bombed, like they did with Incredible Hulk, but this seems silly to me.

Its a combination of a lot of things. Fox have to produce a film or they lose the licence (same reason they are rebooting the Fantastic Four despite the first two not being massive hits), Tobey Maguire being too old to be playing a teenage Peter Parker and by all accounts being an utter twat to work with by the last film and not wanting to do anymore and Sam Raimi not wanting to do anymore. If you're in a position where you have to change your lead actor, get a new director and your target audience were all toddlers when the original came out I dont see any harm in restarting it. Plus there was a lot of talk that they want to keep him as a high school student like the original 60s stories for a few films, something the Raimi films kind of rushed through

• Paid Members
I shilly-shallied about voting, but now I'm glad I didn't... No -----? You twats are twats.

Ah, but would it really have been in your Top 10? That's the thing - I like it, but I can think of 10, probably 20 films I like more. Same with the others Gladstone mentioned.

If Gladstone had had the time/technology to collate everyone's Top 50 into a Top 50, then I suspect the results would be very different.

Yeah, it definitely would have been - my top ten would've been shite, but it would have featured Leon. And Leon the Pig Farmer.

Edited by Rosegarden Funeral

• Paid Members

I believe its something to do with the rights. If sony didnt make a new Spidy film soon the rights would have gone back to Marvel (now Disney)

• Paid Members

There's only one film from that spoiler list i expected to be in and it's the first one, very surprised by that.

Only Eternal Sunshine has made it from my list so far (although i really struggled with the decision to bump Back to the Future II) and considering the lack of other comments for it and how high it was in my list, i'm curious and imagine that few others voted for it. Other than Chest of course. Obviously a film for the sexier UKFFer.

In other news, i was in a shop the other day and saw Rain Man and upon seeing it realized i'd forgotten all about its existence when putting my list together. This upset me greatly and i was deeply depressed for the following three minutes.

• Paid Members

=29

Jurassic Park (1993)

Jurassic_Park_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.9

What's it about?

Some dinosaurs go a bit mad at a theme park. Bob Peck straps on a rifle. Sam Neill and Laura Dern run around a lot. Not a bad thing in the latter case.

What do we say?

I have to say that I had almost completely forgotten about Jurassic Park and the possibility of it appearing in this list. Which is pretty bizarre really considering what a big deal it was when it was released, what, nearly 20 years ago?! Fucking hell, I'll order the coffin now, shall I?

But I have no complaints about its appearance as it is a cracking action adventure, the type of thing that Steven Spielberg used to do with his eyes shut and better than anyone else in film history, probably. He's good that Spielberg, keep an eye on him

To some, it was more than just an action adventure romp:-

"Contains my favourite moment of any film, ever (the first sighting of a dinosaur), and it's my ultimate childhood dream (REAL LIVE DINOSAURS) put right up there on screen for the six-year-old me to be astonished by."

Sodding hell, HarmonicGenerator, I was 17 when I first saw this. Fuck's sake. Clearly though, even looking at it now, it did have the power to amaze and the way Spielberg paces it makes the impact of said first dinosaur sighting and a bloke being eaten off the toilet even more powerful. As is always the case with these kinds of films, they can be elevated from slightly daft blockbuster romp territory to an altogether really good film with just the right cast.

Neill and Dern (they are good those Derns, occasionally hot, too) are safe hands, Dickie Attenborough bumbles around endearingly, Jeff Goldblum is ALWAYS awesome, and even Wayne Knight gets an extended cameo playing, well, Newman. Bob Peck's always been an underrated actor, too, so it was good to see him get a Hollywood blockbuster payday. Don't forget that Sammy Jackson is in there somewhere as well.

Again, I can't imagine many people finding this too disagreeable an inclusion.

Some good bits!

* Leon (1994) - Amazingly, only nominated by one person. A few years ago it would have made my list but has been nudged out by a couple of others since then, but Luc Besson's greatest film might have been a considered an obvious top 50 choice.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

When I was about fifteen I would have had that as one of my top three films easily, but on repeated viewings over the last few years I didn