The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

While I enjoyed Jurassic Park III for what it is, it's not as good as The Lost World. Jurassic Park 3 is like a fun direct to DVD sequel that somehow managed to be released at the cinema. I don't really think of it as a proper Jurassic Park movie.

• Paid Members

I must admit I enjoy 3 most out of them all.

JP was a cinematic event but came across at times as more of a science lesson, lost world was just a plodding mess.

3 Is just a honest dinosaur movie that traps along at a cracking pace. Also it is only around 90 minutes long, the perfect length for most movies.

• Moderators

Maybe it's time for a rewatch... I've only seen it the once, whereas I watch at least part of the first one pretty much anytime I spot it on telly (seemingly every 6 weeks or so).

Also, I like the science lesson element of the first one.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

The Lost World has that kickass bit where the raptors hunt the people down in the long grass which I love. However it also has that bit where the girl ninja kicks a raptor out a window. It's a film that is packed with awesome moments but also some fucking terrible ones.

Pete Postelwaite is fucking good in it though.

The Lost World has that kickass bit where the raptors hunt the people down in the long grass which I love.

That sequence is epic, I've always loved the bit where it zooms out and you can see the trails they're making in the grass towards the group of people.

Pete Postelwaite

This. If only for

scene (from about 1:15) when they're hunting the dinosaurs when they first show up and he can't pronounce the names on the list he's got so he just lobs it out of the car and shouts "That one, the pompadour, ELVIS". I think that touch of British I-don't-give-a-fuck-what-it's-called-just-let-me-shoot-it's-face-off attitude is ace and wouldn't have had the same feel if the character was played by an American.

Incidentally has anybody else read the book of The Lost World by Michael Crichton? I'm half way through it and aside from a couple of character names it's completely fucking different.

• Paid Members

I read it as a kid. The only thing I remember from it is the kid getting trapped in a cage and dragged away by raptors and a bit about how Ingen made too many carnivour dinosaurs so no matter what they are all doomed to extinction again anyways.

• Paid Members

=29

Four Lions (2010)

Four_Lions_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.3

What's it about?

"Four incompetent British jihadists set out to train for and commit an act of terror." So there you go.

What do we say?

I think this is the newest film on the entire list, so clearly in the relatively short time it has been on release, it has clearly made quite an impact. Especially on Nexus:-

"One of the funniest films I've ever seen, with a brilliant cast."

I can't vouch for the first bit or the second bit, mainly because I don't really know the work of many people in it aside from the excellent Craig Parkinson, also because I haven't seen it yet. I can take or leave Chris Morris sometimes, to be honest, he's never really caught my imagination enough to really give a lot of his stuff a real go. But a foray into film direction was inevitable and judging by the reaction to Four Lions, it was a good foray as well. Foray's a good word, isn't it? Foray.

Perhaps as much as anything else, it seems that most of the people reviewing the film were far more keen to comment on its humour rather than its satire or 'controversy'. I know Morris himself said he wasn't interested in creating controversy and I think that is evident in the reviews that this has received, by and large. Things that try to be controversial first almost always end up shit.

Given the amount of Morris fans around here, not quite as big a surprise in this list as I think might have been expected. Looking at the clips, though, I think I'm definitely going to watch this, looks as funny as fuck.

Some good bits!

"James fuck Bond?"

"Yes, it was us!"