The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's a reboot or a remake, but it's being done by Jose Padilha and it's supposed to have Michael Fassbender as Robocop, so I'm interested!

Anyway:-

The Sting (1973)

Stingredfordnewman.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.4

What's it about?

Robert Redford persuades Paul Newman to do over Robert Shaw. Charles Durning is in hot pursuit.

What do we say?

Of all the films on the list so far, even the one that I personally voted for, I think I'm happiest in seeing The Sting on here.

It's interesting, of the two Redford-Newman films, it has pretty much always been Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid that gets all the attention, but in recent years that seems to have not been quite so much the case. Maybe it's because poker's really popular all of a sudden, I don't know. Interestingly, though, Butch Cassidy didn't receive a single vote. How things have changed.

For me, The Sting is clearly a better all round film. Then again, it's a better all round film than almost everything I've ever seen. At times it even borders on perfect. The sets, the costume design, the music, the pacing, the sub-plots - everything in this film is so good and absolutely everything in it seems to matter. There are also at least two fantastic twists that genuinely take you by surprise when you first see it.

Of course, Redford and Newman are wonderful together. Their chemistry and effortless interplay is utterly integral to you completely buying into their relationship until THAT ending. But for me, Shaw and Durning are almost as important. Charles Durning is a brilliant character actor. His support was the cornerstone of many outstanding films for at least 25 years after this was released but he has rarely been better than here as a relentless if occasionally bumbling crooked cop. As for Shaw, well, I reckon his performance here is every bit as good as Jaws. It really is that good.

What's astonishing about The Sting is that I haven't a sodding clue about how to play poker - and yet that scene on the train still had me completely transfixed and on the edge of my seat. There are many other astonishing things about this film, though, and I wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to anyone, no matter what your mood. It's absolutely brilliant.

FULL YOUTUBE LINK! (rest of the parts are linked)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqhTj3UDnf4

Some good bits!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on C4 right now, if you haven't see it and would like to :)

wish I voted now, I totally would have had Butch and Sundance in there, The Sting is awesome too. Some of the best chemistry ever commited to screen comes from Redford and Newman.

• Paid Members

Ahh knackers, never mind. Thought I'd found the full Robocop on YouTube but it was episodes from the shitty TV series.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is on C4 right now, if you haven't see it and would like to :)

Yeah, this film is absolutely superb and in watching it now for the first time in years I'm reassured in my decision to place it so highly. The rest of you suck for not voting for it.

That was Loki. He's from Surrey, you know.

So are you :angry:

We're finally getting to the good stuff. Both Robocop and The Sting are worthy Top 20 films, and two more different examples you couldn't get. Mrs Loki and I watched Butch Cassidy last year and it has really not aged well, it was quite disappointing. On the other hand, The Sting feel timeless, as if it was made yesterday. I wonder which actor will get most films into this top 50? At the moment it's Shaw, isn't it?

I could write thousands of words on Robocop and Verhoeven. There's a great book in why 80s action films of that era are still head and shoulders above anything made since. I think it's a combination of breadth of ambition, a new wave of directors with new techniques, and the fact that in the midst of all the cocaine and champagne, Hollywood temporarily forgot to be cautious. Most of these films are 18 rated! Something that most action films try hard to avoid nowadays.

• Paid Members
That was Loki. He's from Surrey, you know.

So are you :angry:

So when we met and you were scoffing your eggs benedict, did I sound like I was from bloody Godalming?

• Paid Members

I'm glad The Sting made it in, I expected it to make it, but maybe a little higher than it finished. As for Robocop, I'm not a fan, and would have thought that The Terminator would beat it on the list. However I guess many people probably put T-2 in ahead of it, whereas I'd like to hope that Robocop didn't have this problem with it's sequels . . .