The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

What better way to follow up Glengarry Glen Ross than with this....

=23

The Transformers: The Movie (1986)

10300-transformers_movie.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.1

What's it about?

"The Autobots must stop a colossal planet consuming robot who is after the Autobot Matrix of Leadership" according to IMDb. That's what I would have said.

What do we say?

I think I'm going to need some help with this one. patdfb?

"Pure nostalgia hit, this film has been a part of my life for so long it would hard to remember a time without it. Action sequences, death of Optimus Prime, effectively Megatron and Orson Welles' last film. Cracking story. Awesome soundtrack. What is not to like?"

Well, I don't know, pat. I've never seen it.

To be honest, I've never been a Transformers fan. I was more interested in Battle Of The Planets and Top Cat. The recent revival in the interest in them thanks to several shitty Michael Bay films hasn't really shifted my apathy towards them, if I am completely honest, but this is one of only two animated films on the list and, looking around, you won't find many people who have a bad word to say against the film itself.

I'm struggling a bit, I have to be honest, because I know next to fuck all about this. I mean this with absolutely no disrespect towards it, but if I were to pick a film on this list that was the biggest outsider for a placing, even more so considering it has cracked the top half of the table, it would be this. Well, that and the number one, that is. No, Mystic Pizza didn't make it, I'm afraid.

FULL YOUTUBE LINK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRCF9F3h88E...feature=related

Some good bits! (There would be more here but I'll be fucked if I know which ones on YouTube are from the film or the series. You find them!)

Don't hold back on your apathy, Gladstone :laugh:

Nah, it's a great film in many respects, being a huge part of many people's childhoods and also being the "end" in many ways of the Transformers story that I knew at the time. The sheer number of comic-book inspired films on this list says a lot about the UKFF constituency though.

• Awards Moderator

Never seen it, which I find strange given how popular it was at school. I'm surprised it's finished as high as it did regardless of the childhood memory aspect of it. My number one hasn't got a sodding chance if this is the kind of film flirting with the top twenty.

Some clips from Transformers The Movie

Prowl, Ironhide and Brawl get totalled

I cant overstate how much I love this film, it is a bleak dark film, with very little in the way of salvation and marked a vast difference to the TV series, but that doesnt mean it doesnt inspire hope or instill many good things such as respect, loyalty and giving strength when everything is utterly fucked. Many series regulars were killed off, in a variety of sadistic and bleak ways. It's got swearing in and it has a Vince Di Cola sound track. Who he? the bloke who did the much revered Rocky IV soundtrack and it also has Stan Bush as well, him of Bloodsport and Kickboxer soundtrack fame

As for acting talent, Orson Welles, Robert Stack, Leonard Nimoy, Judd Nelson, Eric Idle ( Excellent film for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or whatever actor you are trying to reach)

The animation is top notch, and though many dismiss it as another toy film, it is something unique in so much that it came together to something much much better.

Its wierd to think that it was almost ditched for a cinematic version of GI JOE/Action Force The Movie, which was in production at the same time and much of which one should be at the cinema depended on a major death in each. One had one and went to the cinema, the other didnt.

Tbh I prefer the UK cut to the American one, sans swearing and with a fantastic Star Wars style voice over at the start and end from Victor Caroli instead of Superman style titles.

Edited by patdfb

• Paid Members

I'm quite a nostalgic person, and have never been known for looking back on things with the quality control button turned up while watching things I used to like. The Turtles I can still watch, old wrestling featuring Papa Shango setting jobbers boots on fire I'm all for and The Ghostbusters I'll happily sit down and watch with my two nieces. But Transformers hasn't stood the test of time for me. Only the soundtrack (and thats partly to do with a skit on Raw featuring Johnny Ace) I really have time for. I tried watching the film about 18 months ago, when my ex-lass gave me the DVD thinking it was mine (it wasn't but I wasnt going to say no). I never got into it like I did when I was a kid. I'd still watch it over those awful Michael Bay films, though.

I dont know whether it was because I took Transformers for granted as a kid compared to everything else. I remember the sheer excitment of seeing El Matador popping out of the Christmas wrapping or praying that the Marshmallow Man was in Woolies so my Mam and Dad could get him for me. With Transformers it was always like "cheers, I'll put it with the other 50 bastards my aunties and uncles got me". Transformers were always the easy option for people who didn't really care about you, but you had to buy for you anyway. Its more bitterness than anything else. Everytime I see Megatron, I see my uncle Joe laughing as he leaves my Auntie for a younger woman.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

I didn't put any nominations in, but this would have been near the top of any favourite movies list for me. I've probably seen it more times than any other film- I loved this as a kid and still do now. It's a kids' movie where half of the cast end up dead, which was pretty mind-blowing at the time. If I came to it fresh, having not been a fan as a child, it wouldn't get near my top ten, admittedly, but as a slice of nostalgia, it's brilliant. The soundtrack, regardless of whether you watched the film as a child or not, is absolutely top notch, too.

Michael Bay's films is utter shit. I'm pretty positive two Bay films were on my most Hated. But the cartoon version had everything the Bay films didn't. Character development, real drama, non racist robots and a heart breaking death scene.

Though I didn't vote for it, I do love this film.