The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

For a moment before coming in here I thought this was the Bay version. It's still shockingly high up the list though. It's more of a nostalgia treat than a top film, which is the reason why both Last Starfighter & Petes Dragon, got left off my list.

The Touch is a cracking 80s movie pop tune though.

You still talking about movies? I told you man, give up.

Anyways, Glengarry Glen Ross was my #1 choice and here's some waffle I done wrote about it for Gladders (who only used one line, the fuck):

1: Best ensemble cast ever? I think so. Certainly the most effective.

2: Alec Baldwin

I'm a sucker for good dialogue in a movie, so naturally I absolutely love Glengarry Glen Ross. The "shouty" Pacino is all well and good, but the scene in the bar with Jonathan Pryce is superb too. I get the idea that he could probably sell me sports bras if he wanted to. Of course, the scene where he goes batshit at Spacey is fun too. "You fucking child." Then there's the bit when Alan Arkin starts talking to him when the police are there, and he seems to just treat him with utter disdain before finally deciding to pretend to care. Ed Harris seems to like pointing this out in super style. "What are you?! Friend to the working man?! Big deal! FUCK YOU!!!"

• Paid Members

=23

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Ferrisdayoff.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.9

What's it about?

Matthew Broderick, Mia Sara and Alan Ruck take a day off. Jeffrey Jones sets off after them. Charlie Sheen pops up in a now familiar state.

What do we say?

I have soured slightly, but only slightly, towards Ferris Bueller's Day Off over the last few years. Maybe due to over exposure, maybe due to the depressing approach of old fartdom, or maybe due to the epiphany that Bueller is a bit of smart arse twat who we probably shouldn't be rooting for after all.

It's probably just as well, then, that the film is really very bloody funny indeed, well worth its place in this list, and even pulls off an about turn of dramatic proportions near its end as Cameron fucks up his dad's Ferrari to spectacular effect with utter aplomb. John Hughes should have tried more straight dramas in his career - he sure as hell was good at getting genuinely great serious scenes into his comedies after all.

Pretty much all of Bueller's set pieces have passed into folklore, so how about some unsung heroes? Jennifer Grey, for instance, superbly pulling off the pissed off sister role and getting some brilliant lines. Shame about almost everything she did afterwards. Sheen looks into the crystal ball for an amusing drug-addled extended cameo. But surely everyone knows by now that Jeffrey Jones steals this film? If not, then this needs to be addressed.

Noncery aside, Jones was (is?) a great actor. This film launched him as a comedy actor of high quality and versatility and did every bit as much for him as it did for Broderick. Films such as Beetlejuice, Without A Clue and Ed Wood would have been poorer without his abilities. Here he pulls off the idiotic jobsworth teacher thing better than anyone else has managed since. The Rooney v Bueller's house feud is still bloody fantastic, too.

It's still one of the very best of its kind from the 1980s, epiphanies aside, and despite question marks over his character, it shows that Broderick was and still is VERY good indeed.

It's not as good as WarGames, though.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

Plus recently the Internet has been set alight to a "trailer" to a sequel, starring Mr.Broderick. However it's turned out to be a Honda car ad for the Superbowl.

• Paid Members
Should I be ashamed that I've never even heard of, let alone seen, Glengarry Glen Ross?

In any case, I have just popped it on my LoveFilm list, so I'm taking Seven's advice and fucking getting on it.

Yes you should but at least you're doing something about it. It's truly fantastic and although I'm unashamedly a Mamet fanboy, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Ferris is the second of mine to make it to the list, and I had it in second place behind The Sting. Rewatched it again only a few days ago as someone had recommended John Hughes' commentary in the Commentaries thread. In that he does mention that Ferris is not really a nice guy and someone that we shouldn't be rooting for, which is something I had never picked up on in the past. A few interesting facts as well as Hughes said how their was a 10 year age difference between Broderick and Ruck, how Broderick and Grey were dating at the time of filming and how Ferris' parents ended up marrying in real life.

• Paid Members

Those of you, like me, who are massive fans of The Sting should be thankful to Mr Milano without whom it would not have got in the list.

And next time you're all being meanies to bobbins, remember that he voted for it as well.

• Paid Members
Those of you, like me, who are massive fans of The Sting should be thankful to Mr Milano without whom it would not have got in the list.

And next time you're all being meanies to bobbins, remember that he voted for it as well.

They weren't the only ones to vote for it! :angry:

• Paid Members

GGR is outstanding, the dialogue is up there with the best in any film. As plenty have already said before me, EVERYONE is fucking class in this film, without exception. I finally got round to putting together my list the other night and sadly cut this from my top 10- just. Along with Boiler Room, which is highly underrated in my opinion (Ben Affleck is not only watchable but spot on in his role, christ alive).

Affleck is a very, very overhated guy, and one who has become so much more interesting since he got behind the director's chair. He has a fucking shedload of bad films in his locker and some woeful performances, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who caught a break too early and thus his education is on film. His two directorial efforts to date have been solid if unspectacular, but there's tons of promise about him now.

Edited by Mr. Seven