The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Before I GO TO LUNCH, here's another one:-

=25

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

51hEmDmzJTL._AA300_.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.9

What's it about?

Alec Baldwin tries to beat some motivation into some real estate salesmen. It works....sort of.

What do we say?

Glengarry Glen Ross is one of those films that could quite easily be dismissed by people who look at the simple plot synopsis and think that it sounds boring. You would be massively, massively wrong.

Written by the truly great David Mamet and directed by the largely underrated James Foley, this is a film that in some ways could not fail. If you put together THAT cast with such a simple premise then it is not likely to fail. It's just a case of who ends up on top.

Many would say Alec Baldwin for his sizzling elongated cameo, complete with profanity laden motivational monologues and well placed insults. Others would say Al Pacino and his largely reigned in cockiness with one or two moments of grandstanding brilliance. But less would perhaps plump for Jonathan Pryce's beleaguered and doubtful client / victim, Ed Harris' quietly seething borderline nutter, Kevin Spacey's battered boss, the always marvellous Alan Arkin's serial complainer and Jack Lemmon's unravelling failure.

Mr. Seven goes with the latter:-

"Round of applause for Jack Lemmon please. Shelley

Fantastic, a top film I've never seen. I've watched Boiler Room so many times it sometimes feels like I've seen GGR! It's NEVER on tv, if it had been on terrestrial in the last 5 years I'd have recorded it.

• Paid Members

Love Glengarry so, so much. Sev is spot on with what he says about Lemmon, who I'd say probably comes out on top in the acting stakes (just about). However Pacino's venomous "You stupid fucking cunt" is the best insult in any film I have ever seen. Simple, effective, delivered perfectly.