The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Sweep the Leg is an great video, well, I liked it anyway.

The Karate Kid is another one of those films that holds high esteem for nostalgia reasons, I must have seen it a bunch of times growing up and can remember the figures and the play sets being really good, though it always irked me when figures were as 'jointed' as the Action Force ones for some reason.

Anyway, is still ingrained in society or at least late 20/ early 30 somethings. Mr Myiagi Wax on and Wax off and Daniel-son and the crane kick are certainly moments that still raise a smile. And Martin Kove is delicious as the super hard bastard John Kreese. He was also in Death Race 2000, which is great and was recently in that Wrestler sit comwith Foley linked in on topic.

'No Mercy'

• Paid Members

The List~! is going on hiatus until Saturday or Sunday as I will be away and that, but when I come back it will be time for the top 20!

=21

My Neighbour Totoro (1988)

My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_(Movie_Poster).jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.2

What's it about?

A couple of girls meet some strange creatures in a nearby forest. Not dogging in Epping.

What do we say?

If you had told me before I put together this list that only two animated films would make it, I would have been dead sure and sad that one of them would have been Shrek and that the other definitely wouldn't have been Transformers: The Movie. So, it's time for a second surprise in the space of a few days.

My Neighbour Totoro is easily dismissed as one of them Japanese anime manga things with the girls with the big eyes and the stupid tear that appears when they're worried and possibly cocks that turn into 67 headed demons or something. Erm. But it isn't. In fact, it's the kind of film that many people have always insisted that Disney used to make in its heyday but actually didn't because Disney has always pretty much been shit. Apart from Duck Tales.

It's not a 'film for kids'. But it's not an 'adult animation'. It's just a beautiful and absolutely lovely film that just so happens to have something for everyone. It has a simple story that has enough emotion in it to never EVER even border on the maudlin, some great moments of humour, and some scenes that almost seem impossibly imaginative. Hayao Miyazaki never seems to run out of ideas - he's still making films and contributing while still resisting the temptation to head Stateside because of the total creative freedom he still enjoys in Japan.

'Genius' gets bandied around all too often these days as a description for all kinds of individuals, but I'm not sure what other words would more aptly describe his work. His quite amazing body of work speaks for itself - but for me, Totoro is still his finest film. I first saw it when I was 24 and I think it's the best animated film that I've ever seen. Like I say, it's not a kids' film. It's just a fabulous film. Innit, johnnyboy?

"The most delightful film ever made. I could happily watch it until the end of time if it was the only option."

Some good bits! (can only find the trailer, sorry!)

• Paid Members

Aw man. Quite disappointed at this entry on the list, and not because I don't like it but because I knocked it off my list in favour of Spirited Away, which has been pointed out won't be making the list.

I love love love Studio Ghibli, and Totoro is easily one of my favourites.

This movie is perfection. I'm one of those obnoxious people that has had a catbus plush, and a catbus piggybank, and a totoro toilet roll container. Yeah.

Is this your house?

79370990-f319-4ccb-b55a-ed527dc8c897.jpg