The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Superb, Ian.

I had got my wish and some others aside from me had voted for Three Colours: Red, I'd like to have seen a 'Did It Have Shit On The Market?' for that.

• Paid Members
It's aged badly though, only The Running Man has aged more badly from Arnie's back catalogue.

Whoa, whoa, Whoa, whoa, Whoa.

That's English for stop a hoarse.

The Running Man is as fine now as it ever was, I don't think it's aged badly at all. Same for Total Recall, I don't think it looks old at all.

This however,

Robocop's whole approach is much more likely now even than it was in the mid 80s. The idea of corporations running public services like the Police would have seemed utterly fantastic; now, not so much.

is a beautiful point.

• Paid Members

Unforgiven (1992)

Unforgiven_2.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.3

What's it about?

Clint Eastwood takes on one last job with Morgan Freeman in tow. Gene Hackman might be fucked.

What do we say?

The Western was dead. But it got better. Mostly thanks to Unforgiven.

There was a theory in some quarters back in the early 90s, when it was released, that we as a viewing and critical public were so devoid of Westerns that we lavished praise on this one far too quickly and dramatically, and that it really wasn't as good as we thought it was. 20 years down the lines, with the plaudits still flooding in, I think we can put that nonsense theory to bed now.

The revisionist Western is a favourite topic of mine and there is certainly a very strong argument to be had that this is the very best of that sub-genre. Certainly, it wasn't massively influential necessarily - a sudden slew of Westerns did not appear and those that did appear were more of a traditional approach to the mythology. The occasional film, such as the superb Open Range, owes a lot to it. Regardless of its influence, it is still one of the truly great Westerns.

Clint reinvigorated his career with this, too. He hadn't been in a really solid and all-round critical and commercial hit since, arguably, Escape From Alcatraz 13 years earlier. City Heat, Firefox and The Rookie tanked on all fronts. Pink Cadillac, White Hunter Black Heart and Honkytonk Man were well received but not huge hits. There were several other films that proved to be enjoyable but not great. Clint needed Unforgiven and it gave his career a much needed second wind.

Surrounding himself with true acting greats like Freeman, Hackman and, lest we forget, the late great Richard Harris, he gave himself a very solid foundation to work with but still, coming back with a Western that was even riskier with its themes and usurping of Western traditions than, say, High Plains Drifter was, he didn't take the easy route back to unbridled critical and box office success.

But by doing so, he created one of the greatest Hollywood films of the 1990s and, very possibly, one of the greatest Westerns of all time.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

Ah, my number one. Everything about it is great; performances (Clint, Hackman, Harris especially), beautiful cinematography, and a bit where a man wets his pants. The scene where Munny soaks in the news that his best buddy has been killed, and he has to neck the whiskey to come to terms with it, is so brilliantly done. My favourite scene from any film ever.

Ah, my number one. Everything about it is great; performances (Clint, Hackman, Harris especially), beautiful cinematography, and a bit where a man wets his pants. The scene where Munny soaks in the news that his best buddy has been killed, and he has to neck the whiskey to come to terms with it, is so brilliantly done. My favourite scene from any film ever.

Absolutely. I adore that scene.

I've got a feeling I put this on my list, so I'm glad. It was and still is a great film to watch, as everyone said the acting was brilliant but I think the most poignant moment for me is where they have a shoot out on the mountain and the guy dies slowly. Hearing him crying and wanting a drink of water was so different to see and heart breaking at the same time imo.

Thank God this made it - I dropped it from my list at the 11th hour for a film that nobody else is going to have even seen, and won't get anywhere near the list.

I do think this is my favourite Western of all time. It's a tough one though, and that's probably why no Westers actually made it into my top 10, as there are so many good ones. I remember writing a lengthy essay on Unforgiven on this board a while back, so I won't repeat myself, but just to say that if Clint had only ever directed this film, he'd still deserve praise as one of the best directors of the 20th century. Just brilliant.

Edited by Loki

Unforgiven is such a wonderful film. I'd have only been 7 or 8 when it was released on VHS but I had a bit of a tradition of watching classic films with my grandad and sat me down and we watched together even though he knew it had some fairly adult themes in it. Needless to say I was blown away, even then I loved how dark it was and despite being stuck infront of the likes of Commando, Predator and Aliens since it was far grittier than anything I'd seen up to that point. When I watched it a few years after it still held the same original appeal but the more grown-up themes made more sense and everything fell in to place.

• Paid Members

I think this was maybe number one on my list (def in the top 3). An utterly incredible amazing and perfect film.

The ending 15 minutes is probably the most glued I've ever been to a movie ever. In films there are many visuals that make you're jaw drop and fill you with awe but Unforgiven is the only film where an actor has done that to me. William Munny is so fucking terrifying, epic and also pathetic...just an amazing creation. As he leaves the town of Big Whisky in the poring rain threatening to kill everyone and burn the whole place down you don't even feel like you're watching a man, but the fucking angel of death. Morgan Freeman is excellent too but Gene Hackman gives one of the best performances in a film ever. He's utterly despicable but in some ways he's actually the good guy in the story, just trying to keep peace in the town he's in charge of and trying to be rid of the old fashioned gunslingers of the west, despite being one himself.

A film that has everything and makes you feel every emotion possible. A true great.