The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Ben Affleck's best film to date is Changing Lanes. That film is absolutely fucking superb and he is great in it. He's a good actor, deserves more credit.

No way is 'Changing Lanes' better than 'The Town'.

Well this thread has gone from favourite films to the Ben Affleck appreciation thread, quite funny really considering I cant see any of his films being anywhere near this list, that is unless Gladstone is about to shock us all by revealing the next film is Gigli :crazy:

• Paid Members

=21

The Karate Kid (1984)

Karate_kid.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.0

What's it about?

Ralph Macchio's getting bullied so Pat Morita gives him tips on how to wash cars and paint fences. Hello again, Elisabeth Shue!

What do we say?

"I fucking love the Karate Kid. Not even in a "LOL! 80's!" kind of way." - Quentin

"There has to be room for Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-san. Who wouldn't want to have a mentor like that, and then be able to knock someone out with a crane kick? Great stuff." - WeeAl

"The best sports and/or underdog movie of all time. A billion times better than the 'kids movie' people have it down as, it's a mark of how deep it cuts that so many bits of Karate Kid are so ingrained into popular culture." - Astro Hollywood

So, The Karate Kid proved quite popular, then? I don't think I've seen it for about 20 years. I think when I did see it, I was always left wondering that when he did that Crane Kick whether that was actually a legal move and whether he was allowed to take that starting position. Hmm.

Anyway, no, it's not really a kid's film, is it? It's pretty violent, actually. But then it should be as it's a film about kicking people's faces off, after all. It's also another film on our list where much vaunted talent went on to do nothing. Ralph Macchio went on to Crossroads, and not even the Britney Spears one where she's in her grundies and Martin Kove went on to Rambo. And that's about it.

The sequels were uniformly shit. Hilary Swank did alright for herself out one of them, though. But the original is still as memorable as it is well loved nearly 30 years on.

Some good bits!

• Moderators

YESSSSSSSSSS

Karate Kid was my #2 pick. It's the film I've seen the most times, too.

I was livid when they decided to remake it, but the original is such a part of the lifeblood of pop culture that you could ask 10,000 people the first thing that comes to mind when they hear 'The Karate Kid', and not a single one would say 'Will Smith's boy'.

karate_kid_miyagi_ending.jpg

There is always tears.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

I love the Karate Kid. When I was in the Infants, a big fear of mine going into the Junior school was me getting beaten up by a load of big lads dressed as skeletons. I still get nervous on a night out if I'm walking home by myself and come across a mesh fence. It was an inspirational tale, as far as standing up for yourself. A cracking little film. Still watch it when it comes on the telly.

A great soundtrack, but the toys all fell to pieces and had little playability. Miyagi always played a great Mr. Fuji in my wrestling league and Johnny played a good Owen Hart before his Hasbro came out, but other than that they merchandised the film so shoddy.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Moderators

If you want the most awesome thing ever - EVER - there's actually a second version. The director himself uploaded this to Youtube. It's a fully edited cut of the Karate Kid comprised entirely of camcorder-shot rehearsal footage.

FINISH HIM

And for another KK bonus, here's a music video directed by William 'Johnny' Zabka, that reunites the Cobra Kai.