The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Watched it for what has to have been the eighth or ninth time a couple of weeks back. It's so fucking good. I was going to put it in the top ten but pulled back at the last minute. Kind of annoying in one sense; it's Downey Jr's comeback movie and I now find him to be extremely annoying and obnoxious. Still, Shane Black can make anything sing.

"I'm sore. Physically I mean, not like a guy who's angry in a movie in the 1950's."

• Paid Members
Watched it for what has to have been the eighth or ninth time a couple of weeks back. It's so fucking good. I was going to put it in the top ten but pulled back at the last minute. Kind of annoying in one sense; it's Downey Jr's comeback movie and I now find him to be extremely annoying and obnoxious. Still, Shane Black can make anything sing.

"I'm sore. Physically I mean, not like a guy who's angry in a movie in the 1950's."

His super fast, talky, smart arse acting now grates with me too (it doesn't help it's common place in 'clever' American TV and film). It's a shame because I really liked Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

• Paid Members

His super fast, talky, smart arse acting now grates with me too (it doesn't help it's common place in 'clever' American TV and film).

Yeah, but its what makes him fit as Iron Man.

• Paid Members

His super fast, talky, smart arse acting now grates with me too (it doesn't help it's common place in 'clever' American TV and film).

Yeah, but its what makes him fit as Iron Man.

It's part oversaturation of that style, I think. I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on Monday and it started to really annoy me, and previous viewings were never like that. It didn't help Michelle Monaghan was at it as well. At least Kiss Kiss Bang Bang features some good lines though and Val Kilmer is great in it.

Edited by Blackson Jackson

• Paid Members

I don't really rate Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Watching it I felt like it's all the witty lines/funny shit that Shane Black had come up with the previous 10 years but never had a chance to use and then wrote a film loosely around them.

• Paid Members

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is shite. I tried it again a while back, it's crap. I really like Shane Black so it wasn't anything to do with not liking him. Plus, I really don't like Robert Downey Jr. at all - same performance, every film.

Don't. I can't remember if I put it in my top ten but I would rate Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in almost everyway. I loved the dialouge, the feel of the film and the story. It's great and the moment before that still was my favourite 'Doesn't that suck I just hit you for no reason.' :)

• Paid Members

Top 20 time, slappers. And what a start to it....

Once Upon A Time In The West (1968)

Once_upon_a_Time_in_the_West.jpg

GLADSTONE'S CHOICE - 2nd PLACE

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.7

What's it about?

Claudia Cardinale has her family murdered. It was Henry Fonda. Charles Bronson and Jason Robards will sort him out.

What do we say?

"The greatest western ever, fantastically shot, wonderful score and Henry Fonda's eyes in the flashback sequences are the stuff of beautiful nightmares."

Giving over a few paragraphs to Once Upon A Time In The West is never likely to come close to covering everything that this film has to offer. Giving over a sentence, as ozzfan did there, is an even tougher ask when writing about this film.

No amount of reviews and essays can really come close to telling you what you are likely to experience when you watch Sergio Leone's masterpiece for the very first time. It truly is an experience, whether you watch it on one of those Blu-Ray prints or grainy old VHS taped off Sky Movies Gold like how I first saw it. Not all truly great films are an experience. Some sneak up on you and only afterwards do you realise how great they are.

But right from THAT opening scene, where Charles Bronson disposes of Woody Strode and friends, you become completely immersed in this film and everything about it. It's practically faultless. One bone of contention that I often have with spaghetti westerns is that in most of them the acting is quite often dreadful - even throughout Leone's Dollars trilogy. That was never going to be a problem here with the only real risk being Fonda cast against type as a bad guy. But he's so good that if you hadn't seen many of his films, as I hadn't when I first watched it, you'd believe that villains were his stock and trade. To this day, as a direct result of this, I still always see him as a villainous actor first and foremost.

Then there is the music - always a huge part of any Leone film, but utterly vital here in setting mood and crucial in building tension in the film's most vital scenes. Here I am, though, thinking of dozens of different things about Once Upon A Time In The West that I want to comment on but having to cast them aside so this doesn't become a Sight And Sound article. If there's been a better Western than this ever made, I haven't seen it yet.

Some good bits!

Drip....drip....drip.....

"Something to do with death...."