The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Somewhat curious and alarmed that my name is being thrown around in people's nominations for TDK. I've pretty much exhausted all criticism of that movie so there's not much new ground to break. It still boggles my mind just how far the fanboys go to plug all the holes in it and I'll never understand the "It's the best superhero genre film ever and therefore that means it's high art" as if that genre is 1) primarily populated by low budget student films and 2) devoid of entertainment value outside of Christopher Nolan's wildly overrated and overlong entries into it.

The flaws of his Batman films are many, but it's mostly pointless to debate them because those who are willing to overlook them have accepted being blind.

• Paid Members
Somewhat curious and alarmed that my name is being thrown around in people's nominations for TDK. I've pretty much exhausted all criticism of that movie so there's not much new ground to break. It still boggles my mind just how far the fanboys go to plug all the holes in it and I'll never understand the "It's the best superhero genre film ever and therefore that means it's high art" as if that genre is 1) primarily populated by low budget student films and 2) devoid of entertainment value outside of Christopher Nolan's wildly overrated and overlong entries into it.

The flaws of his Batman films are many, but it's mostly pointless to debate them because those who are willing to overlook them have accepted being blind.

That or they just might not agree with your disagreements?

For me it's a good film. I'm not a Batman fanboy and I fucking hate comic book movies, so it was a fun film to get lost in for a few hours.

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, the rest of my comment on it was along the lines of 'it's just a film I can happily put on whenever and I'll sit down and get into it for the whole duration', which I don't do for a great many films, hence why it made it onto my list (at number 10, I should add, and even then it was touch and go). I just didn't want to provoke a response like ... well, like the one above Chilli_Dog's and turn this thread into another 'Nolan's-shit-no-he's-not' distraction. Especially as there's still thirty films to go!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

In fairness....

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

....there are no other Nolan films on the list so if people want to get the Nolan stuff out of their systems, this will be the only chance they get!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I've always loved Dumb and Dumber since I was a kid but it never even got close to even entering my mind when picking a list of favourite ever movies so I'm intrigued to know who voted it as number 1. Not knocking the film or anything, just a bit surprised that it's charted so high. Showed it my kids for the first time recently along with The Mask and Ace Ventura, Jim Carey may have appeared in some dross but he has done some bloody good comedy films in his time.

I think I had it as my number 1 choice, it was either that or Predator. The reason I love Dumb and Dumber is because I used to watch it every morning before I went to school when I was about 8 till I was 10 and end up watching it on TV every time it's on, I have it on DVD and VHS like someone else stated and it inevitably ended up being the first film I knew the entire dialogue to. It never fails to make me laugh and it cheers me up if I'm feeling shitty, brilliant film.

• Paid Members

At the time I didn't know it was him, but whenever I watch Ace Ventura now I have a massive urge to listen to Funky Cold Medina.

As for TDK, I really dislike superhero films normally. The film industry has become oversaturated with them, and most have had little thought going into the film about making it a good movie, more a case of milking as much out of the superhero movie cash cow as possible. However, for me TDK bucked that trend here. It was a very good film imo, superb supporting cast (Caine & Oldman are obviously great in it) and Heath Ledger is as good as people make him out to be as The Joker.

I have fond memories of Nicholson as The Joker, to the point where I didn't think I'd enjoy Ledger at all. For me, Nicholson WAS the Joker, much like Gene Wilder was Willy Wonka. But I was very impressed with his different take on the character. The Dark Knight may be a little overrated, and whilst it wouldn't make my top 10, it is still very good.

Burton's Batman - while great - feels everything like a Tim Burton film and nothing like a Batman film. It's like a one-off What If? come to life. "What if Tarantino directed an episode of The Bill? What if Michel Gondry did a movie of The Magic Roundabout?" It's 100% his vision, just like his Superman would have been.

Do you think that you feel this way because Burton's formulaic-ness in subsequent work has retrospectively tainted it, or do you really think as a standalone film it just isn't Batman?

The latter. Both Burton's Batman films are tremendous, but the 'feel' I have while watching them is like the feel of watching Scrooged and being all Christmassy inside, but instead I'm feeling Burton-y and not <AdaptedSourceMaterial>y. They seem like a fun experiment now, in how Tim Burton would visualize Gotham, but to my mind, not canon. But still awesome.

That said, he's probably one more lazy, wonky trees and black 'n white stripes film from retroactively ruining most of his back catalogue.

I'd probably plump for the other option - I think his descent into lazy self-parody makes some of his earlier films seem less special. I don't think Batman feels particularly Burton-y, in fact it's one of his least Burton-y films, and it DOES feel comicbook to me, whilst still being darker and more moody than the 60s Batman series. I suspect hoping for "canon" in film adaptations of anything is just a pointless exercise, you'll only be disappointed the next time Hollywood resets (coughStarTrekcough). Just enjoy each film for what it is - a discrete entity.

• Paid Members
I thought the Spider Man films were pretty lame tbh. The new one looks like it could be a lot better though. I have high hopes, but am trying to keep expectations lower.

I just can't believe they are remaking Spiderman again! It's not even been 10 years since the last franchise got started.

• Paid Members

I haven't got time to drop in another proper entry for the list until tonight, so I thought this might be of interest to some people. A selection of films that people may have thought would be a good bet for the top 50 - but didn't make it....

HOW THE FUCK DID THAT NOT GET IN THE TOP 50? PART 1!

I've spoilered it for people who don't want to know, so please do the same when discussing any films here:-

* Fargo (1996) - Only nominated by one person despite being regarded by many as the Coen Brothers' true masterpiece. I'm personally amazed it missed out. But I didn't nominate it, so I've got no reason to complain.

* The Goonies (1985) - Beloved action adventure, hugely popular back then and just as much now. Only nominated by two people, though. Again, a genuine surprise for me considering some of the films that made the final cut.

* Leon (1994) - Amazingly, only nominated by one person. A few years ago it would have made my list but has been nudged out by a couple of others since then, but Luc Besson's greatest film might have been a considered an obvious top 50 choice.

* This Is England (2006) - Not the only surprise Shane Meadows failure on the list....

* Dead Man's Shoes (2004) - ....as this didn't make it, in addition. Both films were only nominated once each.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Moderators
I thought the Spider Man films were pretty lame tbh. The new one looks like it could be a lot better though. I have high hopes, but am trying to keep expectations lower.

I just can't believe they are remaking Spiderman again! It's not even been 10 years since the last franchise got started.

It's a bit ridiculous, but Tobey MacGuire is a fucking gimp and this one (from the trailer) feels more like the comic, so I'll allow it.

HOW THE FUCK DID THAT NOT GET IN THE TOP 50? PART 1!

I've spoilered it for people who don't want to know, so please do the same when discussing any films here:-

* Leon (1994) - Amazingly, only nominated by one person. A few years ago it would have made my list but has been nudged out by a couple of others since then, but Luc Besson's greatest film might have been a considered an obvious top 50 choice.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Wow, I'm the only person that voted for Leon? I'm pretty surprised by that really as it's a work of brilliance, it's probably one of those movies that never even crossed some peoples minds and they'll now go "Shit, why didn't I vote for that". I love everything about Leon- the music, the action and the acting is superb with Gary Oldman stealing the show. It never fails to keep me hooked from start to finish and I'll always rate it as one of my all-time favourite films.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by cobra_gordo