The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I emailed my list on 12 January. Too late now i guess

Hmm, I never got it. Sorry about that. Bung your list on at the end, though, I think that's most people will be doing.

• Paid Members

This is another one that might get some split votes, I put Back to the Future 2 at number 3 or 4 I think. I'm hoping a few more people voted it too and it's still to come. I love the first but I find there's just even more to love in the second one, the amazing transformation of the Hill Valley square for 2015, hoverboards, the bleakness of alternate 1985 and rich Biff, the whole concept of the Sports Almanac, the overlaps of characters in 1955, especially at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance culminating in the awesome Biff chasing marty down a tunnel scene, and fucking FLEA.

This actually could have been my number 1. I'm getting excited talking about it.

• Paid Members
This is another one that might get some split votes, I put Back to the Future 2 at number 3 or 4 I think. I'm hoping a few more people voted it too and it's still to come.

Heh!

=37

Back To The Future Part 2 (1989)

Backfu2.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 7.6

What's it about?

Much the same as the first one, but with added Elisabeth Shue. Can't say fairer than that!

What do we say?

The Back To The Future films threw up a couple of anomalies in this list. Firstly, not a single person voted for part 3, which was a huge surprise. Secondly, part 2 finishes just above the original despite receiving half the nominations. A couple of people, including Burchill's Buddy, had it very high on their lists. The original, conversely, tended to be quite low down on people's lists.

I can understand that to a certain extent. The sequel is a much bolder and more difficult affair to pull off, and a fair bit darker in some places, and so I can see why those risks might have set better with people than the fairly safe approach that the excellent original took. Considering it featured in less lists, though, I can see why it didn't sit as well with others.

It's my personal favourite of the series, I have to say, but also the episode I've seen least of all. The cast are pretty much as good as in the first one with Thomas F Wilson given even more of a chance to shine. The addition of Shue not only adds extra glamour to the cast but extra quality as well, and while the lack of Crispin Glover is a shame, Jeffrey Weissman, whose career strangely never really took off after this series, fills in more than adequately.

It should be remembered that it also tricked a lot of mongs into believing the hoverboards were real as well, so it should get extra points for that.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

Haha, bizarre. But yes. It's one of those films I can watch over and over and over and still see something new each and every time. Like Gladstone says it's definitely darker and riskier than the first, and I'm one of the people who thought that every risk they took paid off. I love everything about it, the set design and how they transform the exact same set into 4 very different feeling places (I'm including both versions of 1985 here obviously), the music, the costumes, the incredible chemistry between Doc and Marty and between Marty and Biff, I could go on gushing for quite a while, but I'm just glad it made the list.

How long was the wait between BTTF 2 and 3? I can still remember the To be concluded bit making me giddy in the cinema

About a year, maybe just under that.

Yeah, they were shot back to back and were released in I think '89 and '90

• Paid Members

Don't know whether to thank you or not there, Martyn. One on the one hand, these last three articles I have to do will never get done. On the other hand, it IS Jaws.

"We've got a panic on our hand on the 4th of July."

• Paid Members

=37

North By Northwest (1959)

Northbynorthwest1.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.6

What's it about?

Cary Grant gets mistaken for a spy and is chased around America by James Mason and 'friends'.

What do we say?

The only Alfred Hitchcock film in the final 50, which is about the biggest disappointment about the list, but at least we had the common sense to put one of Hitch's best in there. In fact, Frankie Crisp thinks even more highly of it than that:-

"Possibly as near to a