The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

Y Tu Mama Tambien is of course amazing. And much better than Shaun Of The Dead, which I found really overrated. It obviously appeals to a certain demographic though, I don't find Ricky Gervais amusing either so what do I know. And I thought 'Miranda' was the worst comedy show I'd ever seen and it won loads of awards.

• Paid Members

What have Ricky Gervais and Miranda got to do with this thread? Strange tangent.

This has been quite enjoyable so far, though, so I'm thinking of another film rated thing in the near future and I was thinking, possibly, top film stars. I might do that sometime in February, just by way of a head's up for anyone that would be interested.

Y Tu Mama Tambien is of course amazing. And much better than Shaun Of The Dead, which I found really overrated. It obviously appeals to a certain demographic though, I don't find Ricky Gervais amusing either so what do I know. And I thought 'Miranda' was the worst comedy show I'd ever seen and it won loads of awards.

Films like Y Tu Mam

What have Ricky Gervais and Miranda got to do with this thread? Strange tangent.

This has been quite enjoyable so far, though, so I'm thinking of another film rated thing in the near future and I was thinking, possibly, top film stars. I might do that sometime in February, just by way of a head's up for anyone that would be interested.

Just pretend you're Empire and do the same fucking countdown every couple of months.

Just pretend you're Empire and do the same fucking countdown every couple of months.

Superb!

Id be up for a 50 best or whatever Film Stars, it would be a good continuation of the what is my best film threads that come up occasionally on here and I enjoy. I expect given the tastes of the board, that there would be some surprise choices making the list and hopefully not all them coming from the 1970's onwards.

As for Shaun of the Dead, I like it, its not a film I watch over and over and over again. I've got it on DVD, but it isnt something that gets played over and over There are some really good bits like the trek to the shop, Peter Serafinowicz's House mate, Bill Nighy. However all the the stuff around The Winchester, later on, goes on too long and is for want of a better word a bit dull, compared to the rest of the film.

Y Tu Mama Tambien, is on my to watch list and has been for some time, whether its any good or not, Ill leave that until I get round to watching it one year.

• Paid Members

=42

Blazing Saddles (1974)

220px-Blazing_saddles_movie_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 7.7

What's it about?

Harvey Korman wants to ruin a town so he puts Cleavon Little in charge. Boris Johnson wasn't available, presumably. Satire!

What do we say?

Blazing Saddles is one of those films that, when you see it as a kid, it means something different. When I saw it with my dad when I was 8, it was the 'cowboys farting round a camp-fire' film.

Now, of course, it is quite simply one of the most ingenious pieces of movie satire that you will ever see, and not just in terms of how it sends up racism in the mythical West. More important than all that pretentious bollocks, though, it's REALLY funny. And not just for the farting bit.

I don't think many would disagree that Gene Wilder absolutely steals this film as a drunken gunslinger (Slim Pickens does his best as Taggart - not that one) who may or may not be brilliant, but despite his pretty limited skills, Little has more than enough in his locker to keep his part of the bargain and drum up some outstanding chemistry with Wilder.

And of course, Madeline Kahn is so good in what is little more than a small supporting role that she even got an Oscar nomination, a genuine rarity, even these days, for any straightforward comedy film.

I'd go as far to say it's the funniest film in this entire list. I'll let spotlightmagnet1 have the last word:-

"Mel Brooks was a comic genius and this film proves it. Beautifully mocking racism, the story is sheer brilliance and the way it is shot was before its time."

Some good bits! (sponsored by PepperPlunge)