The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Aw, man. Delighted to see this make the cut but I honestly thought it was be in at least the top 20. I had this as my number 2 and before sending my list I kept alternating it with what I eventually put at number 1. This is the first from my list to make the top 50 so far and looking at other great films which have placed lower than this, I think t may be the only one that does.

I could waffle on and on about North by Northwest and still wouldn't be able to convey how great a film it is but you've summarised it well there, Gladders. For anyone who hasn't seen it, good lord go and do so. It's just damned brilliant.

Love that scene. "These two men poured a whole bottle of bourbon in to me. No, they didn't give me a chaser"

Edited by Frankie Crisp

Eve Marie Saint (who should have been a bigger star)

The first time I saw North by Northwest I looked up what else she had done and was surprised to see how little of note there was. She was great in this and On the Waterfront as well, but appears to have spent most of her career in TV movies.

As far as ranking it among Hitchcock

• Paid Members

I love North By Northwest. It is, in my very limited film knowledge admittedly, one of the best films I have seen. Just near perfect.

That said I can't remember if I had in in the list or fucked up and over looked it for 10 things which weren't as good.

• Paid Members

=37

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)

Eternal_sunshine_of_the_spotless_mind_ver3.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.5

What's it about?

Total Amnesia.

What do we say?

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind was one of the few films that I have ever seen that totally sold me off the back of its trailer, a brilliant effort that put Tom Wilkinson's character at the forefront. The resulting film was outstanding as well, as it turned out.

"An incredible film that will mess with your head but, it's utterly fucking beautiful."

ShortOrderCook / purplemonkeydishwasher is absolutely spot on, he really is. It's easy to get bogged down with worrying about the back and forth of the timeline of the plot and so on and so forth, but there is far too much going on here to worry about that. Actually, I joke about the Total Recall connection but much like with that film, it is less about when and where stuff may or may not have happened, but more about the people it is happening to. They are far more interesting. Plus, as Ljungberg points out, it really is a beautiful film in many, many different ways.

The initial pairing of Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey, who in my opinion will never better this performance, is one of the most beguilingly realised romances in modern film - it really is more like something from 1940s cinema at the start, except with more swearing and red hair. Watching their relationship subsequently unravel is as unexpected as it is completely heartbreaking, but never uncomfortable to watch, before they try and piece it back together again. Meanwhile, support characters courtesy of the brilliant Wilkinson, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood are almost as intriguing as the central pair.

As far as I'm concerned it is a modern masterpiece that will stand the tests of time and one of greatest films of its decade. Just wonderful. Oh, and Mrs Small says it would probably be her number one as well.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Back To The Future parts II and III thanks to this thread. Loved every second of them and I'm throwing it out there, the BTTF Code is 3, 1, 2.

I really enjoyed 2, but it had a lot less charm than 1 or 3, and I think the drama killed it a little for me. 3 I went into expecting to be a bit pants, but it ended up being my favourite of the 3. Enough mix of drama and comedy, and the slapstick in it is fantastic. The first one was great, but that goes without saying,.

• Paid Members

The code's 213!

=35

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Usual_suspects_ver1.jpg

IMDB Rating: 8.7

What's it about?

Kevin Spacey tells Chazz Palminteri a tall story about some criminals and is probably Keyser Soze, let's face it. Pete Postlethwaite plays a Japanese man. Eh?

What do we say?

Can't believe that The Usual Suspects is nearly 17 years old now, it only seems yesterday I bought it from the Britannia film club and had to wait out a postal strike to actually watch it.

It's also a film that perhaps as much as any other that I have ever seen absolutely demands repeated viewings, and not even because it's all that complicated. The quality of the characters and the main actors, all of whom seem to have a pretty good argument for being the best thing in this film, are so good that you are almost certain to miss large proportions of the excellence they have to offer on a first and even second viewing.

At times it seems as though the likes of Spacey, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollak (the most underrated on show here), Benicio Del Toro and Gabriel Byrne are playing a simple game of trying to out-act each other here but in the context of the plot, it's probably the perfect film for actors to be trying out that kind of one-upmanship in.

I would have hoped that the writer Christopher McQuarrie would have gone on to have a fantastic career after this, but it didn't happen. Director Bryan Singer has become bogged down in boring comic book adaptations. And aside from Spacey, none of the cast really hit the heights that might have been expected of them after this. Why that might have been, I have no idea, but at least they can boast being a part of one of the greatest and most ingenious crime thrillers of a great decade for them. Last word from niff:-

"One of the best endings in film history?"

Some good bits!

• Paid Members
What do we say?

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind was one of the few films that I have ever seen that totally sold me off the back of its trailer, a brilliant effort that put Tom Wilkinson's character at the forefront. The resulting film was outstanding as well, as it turned out.

"An incredible film that will mess with your head but, it's utterly fucking beautiful."

ShortOrderCook / purplemonkeydishwasher is absolutely spot on, he really is. It's easy to get bogged down with worrying about the back and forth of the timeline of the plot and so on and so forth, but there is far too much going on here to worry about that. Actually, I joke about the Total Recall connection but much like with that film, it is less about when and where stuff may or may not have happened, but more about the people it is happening to. They are far more interesting. Plus, as Ljungberg points out, it really is a beautiful film in many, many different ways.

The initial pairing of Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey, who in my opinion will never better this performance, is one of the most beguilingly realised romances in modern film - it really is more like something from 1940s cinema at the start, except with more swearing and red hair. Watching their relationship subsequently unravel is as unexpected as it is completely heartbreaking, but never uncomfortable to watch, before they try and piece it back together again. Meanwhile, support characters courtesy of the brilliant Wilkinson, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood are almost as intriguing as the central pair.

As far as I'm concerned it is a modern masterpiece that will stand the tests of time and one of greatest films of its decade. Just wonderful. Oh, and Mrs Small says it would probably be her number one as well.

Some good bits!

An outstanding, heartbreaking film. Truly great, though my best friend thinks its one of the worst films he has ever seen :-O

It's on Channel 4 Friday Night/Saturday morning this week for those who havent seen it!

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

=35

City Of God (2002)

city_of_god_ver2.jpg

IMDB Rating: 8.8

What's it about?

Slums. Gangs. Guns. Drugs. Prostitutes. Welcome to the 2014 World Cup!

What do we say?

I haven't seen City Of God yet. It's sitting around here somewhere gathering dust, and I probably should have watched it last night by way of research instead of watching bloody Fermat's Room, which was utter crap.

Some interesting side-notes coming off this film, though. The expected boom in Brazilian cinema that was predicted after the success of this worldwide never really happened, mainly because most of the films coming out of the country tried to do pretty much the same thing to diminishing returns and showed very little variety.

Meanwhile, director Fernando Meireilles hasn't really come close to living up to the promise he showed with it. The resultant TV series was well received but films like Blindness and 360 were crapped on by all and sundry, while The Constant Gardener was interesting rather than particularly great.

Still, as one of only 3 foreign language films on the list, it clearly has a hell of a lot going for it.

Some good bits!

Ah, City of God, now there's a classic. A film with real character if ever I saw one, otherwise it's hard to describe why I love it. Think Central Station just beats it out in terms of Brazilian films from the last couple of decades, but they're both absolute classics. As Gladstone says, it's a shame the industry over there couldn't push on, with the economy booming and the amazing landscape of the country and personality of the people you could make some really classic movies.

Second of my list to make it,City of God is incredible from start to finish,billed as the brazillian Goodfellas I'd put it ahead of Goodfellas personally.Watched Central Station this morning funnily enough and it's another great film.Brazillian cinema has released some corkers over the years,Nice to see some world cinema included here