The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Not in my top 10 but would certainly be in a top 20. I'm gagging to watch Terminator again. My DVD suffered from early disc rot and only partially plays. I've been waiting for the long rumoured Lowery restoration on Blu Ray for years to replace it. Now they have gone and delayed the planned UK release until September. If its the Lowery restoration or just a port of the US release currently available I will not be able to wait any longer. A truely wonderful film.

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-Blu-ray...6576&sr=8-1

I'm also waiting for that.

Terminator is the first to make it in from my list, an absolutely quality film from start to finish.

People say how shit at acting Arnie was, but he isn't at all. Yeah he's not exactly diverse, but there's nobody better at what he does, whether it was in Terminator or Conan or Predator and so on. He IS The Terminator, he IS Conan. Yeah he might never exactly have put on an acting showcase, but he's by far the best action star of all time and nobody else could have filled those roles as well as he did.

While I can see arguments for T2 being the better film, I still prefer this one.

Thats the one. Apparently its now delayed until September and its not known if will just be a direct port of the US or the long rumored Lowery restoration.

• Paid Members

Shall we lob another one out there? Yeah.

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)

Its_A_Wonderful_Life_Movie_Poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.7

What's it about?

James Stewart's feeling a bit down. Henry Travers tells him, "Cheer up, mate, might never happen. But here's what will happen if it does happen."

What do we say?

The oldest film on the list by a good few years, I'm sure I wouldn't be wrong in saying that It's A Wonderful Life is one of those films that I can't see anyone disagreeing with the appearance of on this list.

In fact, It's A Wonderful Life is SO wonderful that I think I would go as far to ask someone who didn't like it, "What's wrong with you?" There really is no way that I could possibly narrow down in a few paragraphs everything that the film has going for it and why it is one of the most beloved films that have ever been made.

But let's face it, for its time it was pretty risky and dark in places. Suicide wasn't something that was dealt with in even a small amount of detail in many films in the 1940s at all and for a film that is, to all intents and purposes, a feel-good fantasy film to deal with the subject as a means to its end really is quite remarkable and something that very few filmmakers in the history of cinema could ever have pulled off. I'm not sure any of them could have pulled it off as spectacularly as Frank Capra did. Indeed, looking down his list of films, why isn't he talked of more often as possibly the greatest director of all time?

The heart and soul of the film is, of course, James Stewart. I'm sure I have blithered on more than enough about Stewart around here recently for people to get the point about how great he is - but I'm going to blither some more. I can't think of many more multi-faceted and all round performances in a film off the top of my head. He really had to put everything into this role in so many ways and even in a career as great as his, this still stands out as his greatest achievement.

It has just about everything. If you haven't seen it yet then you really have to. And don't do a Phoebe Buffay and turn it off halfway through.

FREE FULL MOVIE LINK!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQoXV6oCzsQ

Some good bits!

"There's something funny going on over at the bank there, George...."

"I'm in trouble, Mr Potter."

"Get me back to my wife and kids!"

Im gunna get so much stick its untrue, but Ive never really got on with It's a Wonderful Life at all.

Its too long and drags like a mofo. The main message of the film isnt about redemption, more about you must compromise your own hopes and dreams (travelling the world in this case) and whatever you want to do with life or else everyone else's life will be horrible and shit without you around, even though that isnt an actual reality, its what could have been, had he not been around.

George Bailey (James Stewart) really is a derp of the highest order, entrusting great sums of money, $8k is it?, to a complete buffoon of an Uncle and is surprised when it is swiped by Potter over a newspaper kerfuffle and then waiting for some one else to take over his job at the Building and Loans and so forth and so on. Seriously, this guy is a snivelling wretch, there is nothing really to invest in to him. He then goes all emo, gets pissed, trashes his car and goes to a bridge to kill himself. Clarence would be doing him a favour to push him off. But no, he has to show him what the world would have been like without him, sending him on a massive guilt trip just to make sure he realises how shit everyone else could be without him and reinforcing that he has no element of choice at all, ever and must obey what's around him, basically to ensure that he is a miserable wretch and everyone else is happy. Its only the Deus Ex Machina of loads of people turning up to save him (despite them previously being skint) That hints at some kind of redemption and that's only to send people home happy, because suicide is a bad thing, and completely ignoring his wishes and wants will make him a good man, despite his character not changing at all and him still actually being a snivelling wretch.

I dunno, I just cant connect with it. It's a slice of Americana that never existed, and is really more about communism than anything else. Too much money is bad, being part of a collective is good, you dont need money to be happy, community spirit will conquer all. I much prefer Mr Deeds Goes to Town and Mr Smith Goes to Washington over this as the messages are largely the same,for some reason they connect, where as this just ambles along and irritates considerably.

Interestingly, it wasnt a great hit on release, some will argue it tanked, and had a lazarus style resurrection when it was syndicated on TV during the 1970's/1980's, It's a film that like the Shawshank Redemption, shot from nowhere to get into peoples hearts and minds, some time after its release. In this case, it really isnt for me, and I cant see what all the fuss is about it. If that makes me dead inside then so be it.

• Moderators
I love The first Terminator. Just the whole look of the film fills me with happiness when I watch it. I wish there was a club around our way that looked as fun as Tech Noir does.

Prefer Total Recall, but the Terminator is a classic.

I decided to limit my top ten to having only 1 Arnie film, and ended up picking Total Recall.

Probably the only novelty album/comedy music that I like:

Austrian-death-machine.jpg

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Duck and cover, everyone. It's time....

The Dark Knight (2008)

Dark_Knight.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.9 - currently ranked 8th best film of all time!

What's it about?

Batman v The Joker Part 104.

What do we say?

For the people that voted for The Dark Knight (5 of them in all) that decided to leave a comment about their inclusion of it on their list, one name was in their mind when it came to their thoughts on this film. A name lauded in many quarters, yet vilified for his performance in others. You know who it is, of course.

"Please don't tell Mr. Seven."

Sorry, Harmonic Generator! Dingbat didn't mind stirring the pot some more, though:-

"(I nominated this) half just to piss Seven off but also because I love superhero films and this is the best one I've seen ever."

All the little creatures just froze in the hedgerow. Including a film to get on someone's tits, though? How very peculiar.

I haven't seen it yet. I am going to watch it, though, because there is clearly SOMETHING going on with a film if it is currently being voted one of top 10 films of all time on the web's major film resource. But for that kind of rating, I'm expecting something that will not only appeal to those demanding a pitch perfect comic book adaptation but something that, you know, will appeal to those who just want to see a good film and couldn't care less about the source material.

The cast is wonderful. I will watch a film purely based on the quality of its cast and there seems to be plenty here for someone like me. Why did nobody tell me that Mandy from Hollyoaks is in it, though? Details, people!

Its inclusion on the list was inevitable. It's one of the most talked about and critically acclaimed films of the last decade, and it's not often that a film of this type pulls in a bunch of high profile awards. At the very least, I'm intrigued, and it takes a lot for a film of this type to do even that for me.

Some good bits!

"How about alive?"

• Paid Members
Duck and cover, everyone. It's time....

The Dark Knight (2008)

If Gladstone and Frankie Crisp got together right now, they could supply Mr Seven with the names of everyone that voted for The Dark Knight, as well as their home addresses. Scary thought.

Luckily this wasn't in my list

The thing with the Dark Knight is that it's a really good film adaptation of a really good comic book character. It's not a classic piece of cinema in comparison to *actual* films, but it's miles above even the best of other comic adaptations and it was given a different twist to some more fantastical takes. That, coupled with its vast improvement over the Schumacher films and the fact that people love Batman, is what really pushes it to the success it's had.

• Paid Members
It's not a classic piece of cinema in comparison to *actual* films

What does this mean? Is it not a proper film, then? Because I don't want to open the DVD box and find out I've bought a donkey instead.

• Paid Members
I'm gutted Gladders missed out the best part of the film while writing his review. The fact that The Human Wrecking Machine Zeus, more or less saved the city from the Joker, whilst taking the lead as head dawg on that boat near the end. Another stellar performance from Tiny Lister.

Blimey, I missed him on the cast list! He's been in so many films I've seen recently. He's great in Trespass.