The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

He's really great is Lister. He's the fucking Pres in Fifth Element, and he was dead cool in Jackie Brown too.

I like TDK, but it's not even the best Batman movie (Burton's first one is superior). One of those films that will drop off these sorts of lists after a few years once its fans grow up.

• Paid Members
He's really great is Lister. He's the fucking Pres in Fifth Element, and he was dead cool in Jackie Brown too.

I like TDK, but it's not even the best Batman movie (Burton's first one is superior). One of those films that will drop off these sorts of lists after a few years once its fans grow up.

Nah Batman Begins, TDK, Under the Red Hood and Mask of the Phantasm are all much better than Timmys first effort. Its interesting you mention growing up as whenever Batman is put on a pedistal its nearly always through rose tinted nostalgia. I like it and I could definately see how it could be some peoples favourite Batman film but it certainly isnt superior.

As for TDK I voted for it in my number 9 spot I believe. I love it. Its place in the top 50 seems about right to me.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

I think it totally is. Nothing to do with nostalgia. Mr. Nanny and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot is nostalgia. The first Tim Burton Batman film was brilliant to any age group. And Batman didn't sound like Johnny Ace in any of the Burton movies.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

Batman Begins was fucking dross. A clumsy mess. To say it was better than Burtons first Batman film is hideous.

Incidentally, the quiz team I'm joining at Fab Cafe in Manchester on a Wednesday are called "Michael Keaton was a better Batman". I suggested it should be changed to "Cesar Romero was the better Joker" but knowing some of the fuck ups who go in there, they will want to suck my cock for saying it.

I like it and I could definately see how it could be some peoples favourite Batman film but it certainly isnt superior.

Wrongggggg. Look at how Burton does the Joker reveal:

That's classy filmmaking - he frames Nicholson up like a comic book frame, all dark and light, bold colours and subtle tints. Plus Palance is great in this scene.

Burton's Batman is the perfect blend of dark comic book scenes and over the top cartoon violence and action, with plenty of loving homages to old horror films and the like.

• Moderators

Burton's Batman - while great - feels everything like a Tim Burton film and nothing like a Batman film. It's like a one-off What If? come to life. "What if Tarantino directed an episode of The Bill? What if Michel Gondry did a movie of The Magic Roundabout?" It's 100% his vision, just like his Superman would have been.

photo-11.jpg

Some aspects have aged horribly though. An old, fat Joker dancing around to Prince :(

• Paid Members
Burton's Batman - while great - feels everything like a Tim Burton film and nothing like a Batman film.

Possibly. It's still a great film, though, and that's all that matters to many people.

• Moderators
Burton's Batman - while great - feels everything like a Tim Burton film and nothing like a Batman film. It's like a one-off What If? come to life. "What if Tarantino directed an episode of The Bill? What if Michel Gondry did a movie of The Magic Roundabout?" It's 100% his vision, just like his Superman would have been.

Do you think that you feel this way because Burton's formulaic-ness in subsequent work has retrospectively tainted it, or do you really think as a standalone film it just isn't Batman?

• Paid Members
I like it and I could definately see how it could be some peoples favourite Batman film but it certainly isnt superior.

Wrongggggg. Look at how Burton does the Joker reveal:

That's classy filmmaking - he frames Nicholson up like a comic book frame, all dark and light, bold colours and subtle tints. Plus Palance is great in this scene.

Burton's Batman is the perfect blend of dark comic book scenes and over the top cartoon violence and action, with plenty of loving homages to old horror films and the like.

Thats my point its not the perfect blend of anything (maybe Nicholson and Prince). Its entertaining but ham fisted.

• Moderators

Do you think that you feel this way because Burton's formulaic-ness in subsequent work has retrospectively tainted it, or do you really think as a standalone film it just isn't Batman?

The latter. Both Burton's Batman films are tremendous, but the 'feel' I have while watching them is like the feel of watching Scrooged and being all Christmassy inside, but instead I'm feeling Burton-y and not <AdaptedSourceMaterial>y. They seem like a fun experiment now, in how Tim Burton would visualize Gotham, but to my mind, not canon. But still awesome.

That said, he's probably one more lazy, wonky trees and black 'n white stripes film from retroactively ruining most of his back catalogue.