The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators
The Usual Suspects (1995)

It's also a film that perhaps as much as any other that I have ever seen absolutely demands repeated viewings

I loved this film when I first saw it, but I really struggle to get through it whenever it's on. It's a great film, but knowing that ending is coming up kind of spoils it for me I guess. This is in essence stupid, because I can easily watch the main event from WMIII time and time again. In a way it has the same effect that "The Sixth Sense" has I guess, although that is a much much worse film.

• Paid Members

It's funny, there are films that I love that I've baulked at watching again. Maybe because I'm worried that they will be pretty shit the second time round or something. But the Usual Suspects was one that I enjoyed more second time around.

More of these tomorrow night, just been hit by an avalanche of work.

Ugh, Eternal Sunshine. Just missed out on my shitlist. I can't really explain it, but everything that people seem to like about it I just find incredibly annoying.

• Paid Members
It's funny, there are films that I love that I've baulked at watching again. Maybe because I'm worried that they will be pretty shit the second time round or something. But the Usual Suspects was one that I enjoyed more second time around.

More of these tomorrow night, just been hit by an avalanche of work.

I know what you mean. I've had The Orphanage on Blu Ray for a couple of years unwatched because I loved it so much at the cinema. It hit me so hard I'm afraid a second watch will undo it in spite of the fact I know how good it was.

I think the thing is with stuff like Suspects the ending was so effective some people have a hard time looking at the whole. I have a mate who buries The Sixth Sense and there ilk because of the twists but fails to appreciate any of what comes before it. I would think its the same sort of principle with Suspects. All some people see is the ending once they have seen it and they can't get past it. But then why should they? Film can be a disposable medium to some and not to others. Interesting one though.

EDIT - Eternal Sunshine is entertaining but its very overrated

Edited by DEF

Ugh, Eternal Sunshine. Just missed out on my shitlist. I can't really explain it, but everything that people seem to like about it I just find incredibly annoying.

So I'm not the only one then. I just don't get all the love for it, I just found it a bit of a turd.

• Paid Members

Heathens.

Dumb & Dumber (1994)

dumb-dumber-7.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 7.4

What's it about?

Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels make absolute twats of themselves. Lauren Holly looks on, fit.

What do we say?

I can well imagine the appearance of Dumb & Dumber in this list, and a fair way up the list as well, is going to cause palpitations in some quarters and delight in others.

For the record, it's been about 15 years since I last saw it and at the time I thought it was largely really funny although I thought several bits didn't work nearly as well. Not sure how much I would enjoy it these days in between vintage Jacques Tourneur chillers, but it's one of those films that either hits the funny bone or leaves you seething at the sheer stupidity of it all.

Farrelly Brothers films are ALL like that, though, and there is no middle ground. It is worth remembering, though, that they wrote the Seinfeld episode The Virgin, one of the very best Seinfeld episodes in my opinion, so even if you think their film output is uniformly shite (and I really don't think it is) you still have to thank them for that.

Back to this film, and although it was Jim Carrey back then that was garnering all the comedy accolades and attention around Hollywood, the performance of Jeff Daniels in this is the REAL revelation. Not only is he funnier but he doesn't overdo things and is overall far more believably stupid for it. Daniels really is a quite excellent comedy actor, one of the very best around, and this was the perfect way for him to show his versatility as well.

Carrey is pretty good for the most part, too, but without such an expert foil you would have had 90 minutes of him gurning irritatingly. And that would have been shit. On my last inspection, however, Dumb & Dumber certainly was not. Plus, you know you want that van.

Some good bits!

Dumb and Dumber is in my top 3 comedies (along with Airplane and Coming To America), so glad to see it make an appearance, although would've been nice to see it break the top 20-25. Maybe it would have been a few places higher if I had voted, as I'm pretty sure it would've been top 5

The Farrelly brothers can be really hit and miss. I like Dumb & Dumber and Stuck On You still, There's Something About Mary hasn't aged well however. I watched it for the first time in several years a couple of weeks back and didn't really enjoy it at all. Everything else they've done I've either disliked or avoided.

I've always loved Dumb and Dumber since I was a kid but it never even got close to even entering my mind when picking a list of favourite ever movies so I'm intrigued to know who voted it as number 1. Not knocking the film or anything, just a bit surprised that it's charted so high. Showed it my kids for the first time recently along with The Mask and Ace Ventura, Jim Carey may have appeared in some dross but he has done some bloody good comedy films in his time.

• Paid Members

The Terminator (1984)

Terminator1984movieposter.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.1

What's it about?

Arnie's after Linda Hamilton. Michael Biehn will sort him out.

What do we say?

I don't think it's giving too much away to say that this, like Alien, has suffered in this poll somewhat from having headline making sequels that many people consider to be superior.

That said, I doubt anyone would question The Terminator's presence in this or any poll listing greatest or favourite films of all time. It is quite simply one of the most influential and important sci-fi films of all time and itself packed with iconic moments and lines that never lose their power. It also completely cemented Arnold Schwarzenegger as a huge star.

Of course, he's more perfect for this role than perhaps any other he's ever taken on as it doesn't really challenge him too much as an actor, but he brings a physical presence and menace to the role that I doubt anyone else could have done. As for Michael Biehn, the disappointment that he wasn't able to follow this and the soon-to-come Aliens with the truly outstanding career that he would only intermittently hint at in superb turns in the likes of The Abyss, Tombstone and The Rock still rings strong with me.

Despite that, himself, Arnie and Linda Hamilton carry this film practically unaided away from what might have been a slightly silly time travel actioner into something altogether more brilliant. The Tech Noir scene still remains one of my favourite scenes of all time, while Arnie's encounter at the beginning with Bill Paxton and friends would not come close to being matched by the sequel's redoing of it. Let's not forget the police station shoot-out as well.

As far as the rest of this list is concerned, this franchise will be back....

Some good bits!

"I'm a friend of Sarah Connor...."

"Come with me if you wanna live!"

• Paid Members

Not in my top 10 but would certainly be in a top 20. I'm gagging to watch Terminator again. My DVD suffered from early disc rot and only partially plays. I've been waiting for the long rumoured Lowery restoration on Blu Ray for years to replace it. Now they have gone and delayed the planned UK release until September. If its the Lowery restoration or just a port of the US release currently available I will not be able to wait any longer. A truely wonderful film.

• Paid Members
Not in my top 10 but would certainly be in a top 20. I'm gagging to watch Terminator again. My DVD suffered from early disc rot and only partially plays. I've been waiting for the long rumoured Lowery restoration on Blu Ray for years to replace it. Now they have gone and delayed the planned UK release until September. If its the Lowery restoration or just a port of the US release currently available I will not be able to wait any longer. A truely wonderful film.

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminator-Blu-ray...6576&sr=8-1

I'm also waiting for that.

Terminator is the first to make it in from my list, an absolutely quality film from start to finish.

People say how shit at acting Arnie was, but he isn't at all. Yeah he's not exactly diverse, but there's nobody better at what he does, whether it was in Terminator or Conan or Predator and so on. He IS The Terminator, he IS Conan. Yeah he might never exactly have put on an acting showcase, but he's by far the best action star of all time and nobody else could have filled those roles as well as he did.

While I can see arguments for T2 being the better film, I still prefer this one.

• Paid Members

Arnie's the greatest. No other action star can get near him in so many ways. His films were a big part of my childhood and they're a big part of my adulthood. He's a limited actor, no-one would deny that, but he's never been stupid enough to do anything much out of his comfort zone. He knew his limitations and he stuck to his strengths for the most part.

People don't like his films for ironic reasons like they like a lot of the films from other action stars of the era in an attempt at showing off some retro cool. They like them because so many of them were bloody excellent.