The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I didn't partake in the top 10, as my favourite films differ on the kind of mood I am in, but one film I can just sit and watch any time is Blazing Saddles. Every line is a classic.

There isnt enough Harumphing in the boardroom, a town full of Johnsons, Hedley/Hedy Lemar running joke, paying a toll in the middle of a desert and going completely past the 4th wall with the brawl, musical number and the ending, makes Blazing Saddles an absolute joy.

Is it Mel Brooks's best film though? Silent Movie and The Producers seem to get a lot more kudos these days. Ive even heard people trying to say Spaceballs is better ??? Now I like Spaceballs alot, but better than Blazing Saddles? Hmmm.

Edit: Odd fact, Mel Brooks was a producer of David Cronenberg's The Fly (ta Empire).

Edited by patdfb

• Paid Members

Blimey, I've only seen Shaun of the Dead out of the list so far. I need to get out less. I'd certainly not have it in my top 50 though.

I hope I didn't come across like I was moaning at your format Glads, not the case at all. I'm enjoying muchly, I do love a good list thread. LISTS BABY! I'm clearly going to have a shitbunch of movies to be getting round to once this is finished. And as me and the missus throw a film on pretty regular these days and need some new ones, this will make a great reference point for suggestions.

I may jump on the countdown bandwagon myself and do one for ontopic, maybe resurrect that one that Dan Williams aborted.

Edited by ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
Blimey, I've only seen Shaun of the Dead out of the list so far. I need to get out less. I'd certainly not have it in my top 50 though.

I hope I didn't come across like I was moaning at your format Glads, not the case at all. I'm enjoying muchly, I do love a good list thread. LISTS BABY!

Not at all! I'll be adding all kinds of stats and stuff at the end, so keep an eye out for that. I want to have it wrapped up by February 1st because I'm away for a few days then, for the record, so the stats may go up after that depending on how much time I have.

And yes, lists are good. I was going to start a thread about lists and see if anyone is as nuts on them as I am.

• Paid Members

Jaws (1975)

JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

(GLADSTONE'S CHOICE - 4th place)

People wot put it in 1st place: 0

IMDB Rating: 8.2

What's it about?

A great white shark starts gobbling people and dogs up at a beach resort. Harry wears a bad hat.

What do we say?

It's fair to say that Jaws rather hobbled into the top 50, which I think was something of a surprise to me - or at least I thought it was. Then I realised why it didn't put on as strong a showing as I thought it would and that is because it's rather an obvious choice, isn't it?

It's almost taking for granted now just what an amazing film Jaws is. You can forget how much so until you watch it again. I even forget how much so and I've seen it dozens of times, so much so that no-one would be advised to watch it in my presence because I WILL sit there and recite the dialogue before they have said it.

The final third, set on the ill-fated Orca, steals the headlines to this day but there is so much good stuff in the previous hour or so that it would be such a shame to ignore the fake shark prank the kids pull, the dismembered leg, the comedy attempts by various people to try and capture the shark and, of course, the discovery of Ben Gardner's boat.

As for the cast....

"As great a cast as it has, this is a one-man show, one of the great performances of cinema as Robert Shaw hefts the entire film onto his broad shoulders and carries it for most of its 2 hour length. The USS Indianapolis scene is my fave scene of all time (today)

First of my top 10 to appear, waaaay to low for my liking, but still. Looking forward to the "Greatest Scene In Movie History" thread, that last link will be my number 1 I'd imagine.

For me, this is what cinema is all about - not explosion and battles, and all that cool bombastic shit, but the ability through a comination of delicate lighting, a little music, and acting, to pull the fucking frighteners on you. Look at how Schneider is lit, in half-shadow, all clean and Shaw is leaning forward into the light with beads of sweat glistening. And he looks straight at Schneider the whole time, doesn't let him off the hook keeps his gaze locked, with that half-smile on his face. The shimmer of a string section lifts the story out of a plain narrative and gives you the light glistening off the water as the sailors bob up and down, the violins bobbing up and down slowly.

There's probably no more than half a dozen directors capable of putting together something as powerful as that with so little actually happening on screen. Spielberg is the master, though.

Jaws was always a go-to film for that last week of school before the end of term where the teacher just puts a DVD on and fucks off. Not sure why. For that reason I never have the urge to watch it again, it's engrained and I never thought it was that great, probably due to watching it this way in segments. I do recall really enjoying the 'show me the way to go home' scene when they're all wasted on board.

To my absolute shame, I've never seen Jaws. I plan on rectifying this, post haste.

It's on ITV1 at 10:35pm on Friday.

Jaws didn't make it into my top ten, probably would have made it in a top twenty though. I'm surprised to see it come in such a low position, I thought it would get into the top half of the poll easily.

Edited by smp

• Paid Members

I'm glad to see Jaws made it onto the list somewhere, though like others It's a bit of a shock it didn't place higher. As for Shaun of the Dead? It almost made my list of worst 3 films. I can't stand Simon Pegg. I'm not particularly a fan of Zombie films either. I'm gutted it placed higher than Kelly's Heroes.

• Paid Members
There isnt enough Harumphing in the boardroom, a town full of Johnsons, Hedley/Hedy Lemar running joke, paying a toll in the middle of a desert and going completely past the 4th wall with the brawl, musical number and the ending, makes Blazing Saddles an absolute joy.

Is it Mel Brooks's best film though? Silent Movie and The Producers seem to get a lot more kudos these days. Ive even heard people trying to say Spaceballs is better ??? Now I like Spaceballs alot, but better than Blazing Saddles? Hmmm.

Edit: Odd fact, Mel Brooks was a producer of David Cronenberg's The Fly (ta Empire).

You forgot Young Frankenstein which is as perfect as a spoof can get.

Brooks also produced The Elephant Man, The guy knows a good script when he reads it.