Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Whilst there's no doubting that John Oliver's just a TV entertainer, the show's probably got enough crossover clout with today's wrestling audience to start catching on and causing some waves. It's the exact kind of press WWE vanity can't handle, coming through on the exact sort of social media platforms they can't afford to ignore. 

This could get interesting. 

• Paid Members

I cancelled my subscription to WWE around the time of Oliver's last look at them. Between this and the upcoming Vice documentaries, this is probably the most scrutiny WWE has been under since the steroid scandal. Be very interesting to see if it has much business impact. I suspect it won't, but hope that it will.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I cancelled my subscription to WWE around the time of Oliver's last look at them. Between this and the upcoming Vice documentaries, this is probably the most scrutiny WWE has been under since the steroid scandal. Be very interesting to see if it has much business impact. I suspect it won't, but hope that it will.

What are the Vice documentaries? 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, chokeout said:

What are the Vice documentaries? 

Viceland are doing a series called "Dark Side Of The Ring", think it's been posted about elsewhere.

It's not explicitly focused on WWE - there are episodes on the Von Erichs, Gino Hernandez, and Bruiser Brody - but they will be looking at the Montreal Screwjob, Moolah, and the relationship between Randy Savage and Elizabeth.

Even if they never touched on any WWE issues, they're so synonymous with WWE that if anyone latches on to it, there could be some pressure on them to open up about other dodgy practices. I don't see it, though - if nothing's forced their hand yet, nothing will.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Viceland are doing a series called "Dark Side Of The Ring", think it's been posted about elsewhere.

It's not explicitly focused on WWE - there are episodes on the Von Erichs, Gino Hernandez, and Bruiser Brody - but they will be looking at the Montreal Screwjob, Moolah, and the relationship between Randy Savage and Elizabeth.

Even if they never touched on any WWE issues, they're so synonymous with WWE that if anyone latches on to it, there could be some pressure on them to open up about other dodgy practices. I don't see it, though - if nothing's forced their hand yet, nothing will.

IDMB have a USA release of 10 April , Nothing on the UK site yet for a screen date so i'll just keep watching Slutever instead

Edited by Sheffbag

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Nah, I did it for a while and then moved on. Sadly, it seems a lot of other people didn't. 

You were definitely still doing it a few days ago about some Japanese women. Maybe it’s subconscious now, like Borne Again in ECW.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Or don't as no one else gives a fuck.

You don't give a fuck yet you felt it necessary to comment about it? Cool.

It's fine. I have no idea why Pitcos fancied having a dig about stuff that's years old but, fair enough, it's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last. 

Anyway, Dark Side of the Ring sounds very cool. Hopefully Vice TV shows it over here.

In other news, Meltzer's saying WWE have invited John Oliver to WrestleMania. 

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

I honestly expected WWE to just ignore the John Oliver thing but hilariously they have given the most non-committal rebuttal to the piece:

“John Oliver is clearly a clever and humorous entertainer, however the subject matter covered in his WWE segment is no laughing matter.

Prior to airing, WWE responded to his producers refuting every point in his one-sided presentation. John Oliver simply ignored the facts.

The health and wellness of our performers is the single most important aspect of our business, and we have a comprehensive, longstanding Talent Wellness program.

We invite John Oliver to attend WrestleMania this Sunday to learn more about our company.“

Denies what's being said without being able to defend themselves.

• Paid Members

10 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The health and wellness of our performers is the single most important aspect of our business,

Health and wellness is the single most important aspect of the business now society frowns on roided and coked up walking heart attacks smashing each other in the head with a chair and slicing their forehead with razor blades. 

WWE have undoubtedly done good things in that regard over the last 10 years but I can't help but believe everyone of the good things they have done are because they had to, not because they wanted to. It's not philanthropic if they make you do it, surely.