Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I've only ever seen "Magee".

I don't think there's ever been a point where WWE have seriously tried to lock down Sting vs. Undertaker. I think they tried to bring him in to face Kurt, and to face Triple H during Evolution's reign of terror.

There's a bit of back and forth on Twitter over the legitimacy of the Magee tape. The person who posted that picture was given a load of VHS tapes from Bret himself about a decade ago and tasked with converting them to DVD.

The questions are over the name, date etc. 

Either way, whether it's the infamous tryout match or not I really wanna see it. Lance 'Mr. Fun' Storm has chimed in with his opinion: 

ICW related series “rogue to Wrestler” debuted on the new bbc Scotland channel Tuesday night. And was actually quite decent. Premise is that they have taken 8 people with a bit of a rough background and are putting them through a month of training to go then earn 6 months proper training. Told some good back stories, some training and challenges and eliminated a few contestants in the hour. I’ll be honest expected it to be cringy as fuck, but was a good hours watch. It’s on iplayer if anyone fancies a look 

15 minutes ago, Louch said:

ICW related series “rogue to Wrestler” debuted on the new bbc Scotland channel Tuesday night. And was actually quite decent. Premise is that they have taken 8 people with a bit of a rough background and are putting them through a month of training to go then earn 6 months proper training. Told some good back stories, some training and challenges and eliminated a few contestants in the hour. I’ll be honest expected it to be cringy as fuck, but was a good hours watch. It’s on iplayer if anyone fancies a look 

Yeah watched it the other day when it aired, feels a bit ICW's Tough Enough but on a Glasgow budget. Thank god they eliminated 2 in the first episode as my OCD kicked in when Billy Kirkwood was like "i'm gonna put you into pairs" and i thought hang on isn't there 1 less. Honestly don't know how long the series is gonna last but felt a bit like that initial batch could have done with a few more if theres an elimination each episode. 

Apparently Smackdown moving to Fox is going to change how they record Raw and Smackdown here.  I’d assumed they’d still do Smackdown on Tuesdays here but apparently they’re doing Manchester on Friday and Glasgow on Monday.

Probably have an NXT UK weekender somewhere that weekend.

18 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

JR announced on Twitter that it's the final day of his WWE contract after 26 years. I assume he's been on a legends deal the last few years?

So what about all those times Vince fired him? Or those other long periods of time were he wasn’t employed.

And AEW are idiots if they bring him in. They’re supposed to be the fresh/new thing, nothing says that like a Country Bumpkin saying “Hey folks, Good ‘ol JR here”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Twatters said:

I don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere but this new wrestling/crime documentary show looks interesting. And early reports are that it's very good

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/viceland-dark-side-of-the-ring-wrestling-docuseries-1203175422/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Cornette was talking about that on his podcast today. It does sound interesting. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So what about all those times Vince fired him? Or those other long periods of time were he wasn’t employed.

And AEW are idiots if they bring him in. They’re supposed to be the fresh/new thing, nothing says that like a Country Bumpkin saying “Hey folks, Good ‘ol JR here”

I'm guessing he's in the mind of "well I went back and didn't work elsewhere so it counts".

As for AEW it's got to come down to brand rep, if they want to show they're looking to make a statement getting the most well known announcer in 30 years on board for their very old school seeming promotion works.

• Paid Members

No idea. I know Vice have a channel on UK TV, but don't know whether it'd end up on over here. Keep an eye on tv listings, I guess

55 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm guessing he's in the mind of "well I went back and didn't work elsewhere so it counts".

As for AEW it's got to come down to brand rep, if they want to show they're looking to make a statement getting the most well known announcer in 30 years on board for their very old school seeming promotion works.

The Bucks have been talking up Excalibur. If JR winds up there, and he's been rumoured to be involved since before it was announced, I can't see him being on the announce desk. The fact that he seemed to spend half his time slagging off the Bucks or getting the talent's names wrong when he was calling New Japan probably doesn't bode well.