Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

4 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I've never quite got my head around these GoFund me things.
Don't get me wrong, I understand what they are and if I was a wrestler and knew there were fans who were stupid enough to part with their money to, for instance, buy my Mum a new car I would absolutely do it but, seriously... isn't it just a bit... I dunno... 'Hey, I've lost my house in a fire. I have a small level of celebrity in certain circles. I know, sod the house insurance or anything, I'll get other people to pay for it for me!'.... or am I just being overly pessimistic and harsh about it?

First step is to ask yourself what your opinion would be if it were a female wrestler asking for money. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I keep reading references to Will Ospery and his mum’s car, whats the story? Was her car just buggered and he just asked fans to buy her a new one

Her car was stolen and obviously the Ospreays don’t believe in insurance. I don’t think he was asking for a whole lot either, but it was still taking the piss. This is a man who I imagine is paid very well by New Japan and a top earner on the indie scene as it is. 

If he can stupidly spend £10,000 in one year on ring gear then he can buy his mum a decent second hand motor.  

• Paid Members

It's on YouTube if you search WWE John Oliver. It's pretty amazing. Of course being a goofy UKFFer I know all this stuff but I bet your average Joe will be gob smacked.

It's probably the best piece ever done by the mainstream media on the business, right? It manages to shine a spotlight whilst still showing the kind of clips you'd show your mates to get them into wrestling to illustrate that this medium is a laugh and totally fine to be into. 

Genuinely funny, too. I like Oliver, but rarely laugh at his stuff. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Isn't it funny. In a piece done with seemingly honest intentions about how messed up the system is, and how the fans are caring and have a compassionate voice, they can't help themselves by doing the stupid bit at the end about the type of talk wrestling fans like, which either halfway exposes what they really think, or shows how desperate they were to be on the side of the non-fan in laughing at wrestling while trying to cover it. That part turned me off.

Really good stuff, mostly. The paedo joke clearly didn't land either.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

That end bit is in keeping with the show. They often do something incredibly over the top, parodying a trope or an idea, at the end as a kind of fake infomercial, so I wouldn’t read anything into it being a ‘slight’ on wrestling fans

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Isn't it funny. In a piece done with seemingly honest intentions about how messed up the system is, and how the fans are caring and have a compassionate voice, they can't help themselves by doing the stupid bit at the end about the type of talk wrestling fans like, which either halfway exposes what they really think, or shows how desperate they were to be on the side of the non-fan in laughing at wrestling while trying to cover it. That part turned me off.

Really good stuff, mostly. The paedo joke clearly didn't land either.

This is what they often do. I think of it of them being serious for 80% of the segment, and then going out with the over the top humor to seal it. He said he is a wrestling fan and I have no doubt about it because him and Jon Stewart go back as well and we know he has been a long time fan as well.

I watched it on this link on YT

, about 6 minutes in. It's pretty damming and it made me channel my inner Owen Hart thinking Enough is enough and it's time for a change. I really hope this picks up some momentum.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
link