Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

On 26/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, theringmaster said:

Unpopular opinion here possibly but I feel a full expose into pro Wrestling is coming, everything from sex scandals to vets beating on young guys to promoters ripping of people. And it will be a dark time in our business when it does happen.

I knew this day was coming. This is just the start.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Oh totally, if he was that concerned he'd have notified the authorities, providing those abused were OK with it. It was all a bit "Hey guys, I've got some BRITWRES~ sleaze" wasn't it.

Exactly. He obviously hasn't shared his knowledge of the situation elsewhere since, seeing as it all came out by other means.

• Paid Members

That's the same sort of thing that started going on after Savile, you'd have people saying, "Well, I always knew".

No, like pretty much everyone else, you always suspected. If you genuinely always knew, then you should have fucking done something, not just been smug after the fact. Only worse in this case, because BritWres is such a small scene that someone could have done something about it.

A few more names have started coming out, and this is likely to only get worse before it gets better. The promoter of WrestleMidlands has been accused (with pretty damning evidence) of noncery, and more will come out for sure.

It sounds like the police are looking at investigating Edler now.

• Paid Members

It needs to get worse because there needs to be accountability and something needs to change. Below are my thoughts from the paido forum the other day.

It's scary that such a historically sleazy industry exists without any form of governing body. Especially given that it attracts a huge number of children as fans and wannabe participants. 

We're always hearing from some of their heroes about how young they were when they started, so naturally they'll follow. Then they go into this environment with no accountability and a horrible gang mentality.

They're not subject to the same checks and safeguards that we are in football and that brownies and scouts, etc will be these days. You just don't know who you are letting (literally) handle your kids.

And it's obviously appealing to girls as well as boys which makes it even worse. Such a worrying environment. Wouldn't let my kids do it.

• Paid Members

At least one wrestler (don't know if they're also a trainer) has been accused of harassing underage male trainees as well. So while this will be an issue that overwhelmingly affects women (I would wager that you could count on your fingers the number of female wrestlers that haven't experienced some kind of sexual harassment either in training or in the locker room, even if "just" in the name of "banter"), it's important we not overlook that young boys are vulnerable too.

It's a historically sleazy business, but it's also a historically close-knit, secretive closed shop. This sort of thing can be "allowed" to happen because we're a business that sticks to their own, and doesn't let the outside world in. That's started to change in recent years, but it's still very much the case.

By and large, anecdotally, it feels like we're at a tipping point where a lot of the older promoters - many of whom can be sleazy, can be conmen, or just generally a bit non-specifically dodgy - are still clinging on, while the newer promotions coming up over the past few years tend to be (or at least present a public image of being) more inclusive and progressively minded, and the fanbase seems to skew the same way. That's not to say that all promoters that have been in the business since before X date are wrong'uns and all the new lot are trustworthy sorts, by any means, but it does feel like there's a cultural shift taking place. So if there's any upside to all this horribleness, it's that I think we will see promoters, wrestlers and fans more inclined to take a stand against it now, and work towards measures to prevent it, as best they can, rather than covering it up to protect "The Boys", or because you're scared of losing a booking. And if people are still brave enough, confident enough or just plain sick of it enough to speak out about their own experiences as we're starting to see, a change has to occur.

I don't think there will ever be any external regulation, and I think the public perception of wrestling is already one of insularity and sleaze, so short of a genuinely horrifying scandal, I can't see any impetus for external pressure. We have to self-police, and I think we've been starting to do that anyway.

Knucklelocks Gym - the former Projo - have said on Twitter that whoever replaces James Davis as a trainer there will have to have a full DBS check, and that they're working on ensuring that checks are all up-to-date for existing staff. Obviously a DBS check isn't perfect as it's only going to bring up things that have already been brought to the police's attention, but it's a massive step in the right direction. It's down to fans and wrestlers to put pressure on other schools to follow suit. It would be worthwhile for someone, if this doesn't already exist, to compile a list of reputable training schools that fulfil this criteria, in order to try and protect people as best we can. Everybody needs to work together to make it work

The trailer for Walk Like  A Panther dropped earlier, I remember hearing Stephen Graham talking about a wrestling project he was working on but assumed it was that tv series him out Kasabian was a part of ( what happened to that? has it morphed into this film? )

This looks pretty great tbf

• Paid Members

I take it All-Seeing I, Tony Christie & Jarvis Cocker asked too much for their song in the trailer.