Anime

lightningxlock

12 minutes ago, DEF said:

Love the Guyver. I thought it was the coollest thing on the planet when I was about 13. (still sort of do) I have some awesome animation cels from that series that are probably my favourites in my cel collection. A Zoanoid one even has the original hand painted background art. Apparently there was also a 60 minute OVA from 1986 before the series that I've never seen. I'm going to have to dig out my DVDs now it's time for a rewatch.

Yeah, it was all kinds of awesome. I remember paying what was then an exorbitant price for a VHS tape that lasted around 30 minutes. Wish I'd kept them all to be honest, but the other half binned them a while back.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, it was all kinds of awesome. I remember paying what was then an exorbitant price for a VHS tape that lasted around 30 minutes. Wish I'd kept them all to be honest, but the other half binned them a while back.

Similarly all my old VHS have gone the way of the dodo. Fortunately in the early 2000's Manga Entertainment released the series on DVD in the US and I jumped on it. I've manged to upgrade most of the old VHS classics to DVD or Blu-ray these days. Never got round to getting Fist of the North Star or Monster City mind you.

• Paid Members
On 10/04/2018 at 9:31 AM, David said:

Does anyone remember The Guyver? It was a 12-part (I think) VHS set that was released in the UK in the early to mid 90's?

Probably my favourite mecha anime of all time if i'm honest.

Was that the same version as shown on that experimental Anime Network 10-12 years back, or was the latter a remake? 

It seemed very weird to end the run in a situation where alien-enhanced people were almost normalised in society and the hero returns out of nowhere, as if a 2nd season was set up but never shown here.

Classic Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Coyote Ragtime Show and a few others got full runs too, can't remember the rest.

Edited by seph

One Punch Man is great but I prefer the creators other show, Mob Psycho 100 by just a tad. There are a lot of similarities with the absurd humour etc but there's a little more whimsy and the art style is more in line with the authors original drawings. Also, Reigen, the best support character.

I recently fell in love with Made in Abyss, everyone was raving about it and I thought it looked a little too cutesy and dumb at first but jesus it's one hell of an emotional roller coaster and is dark as fuck at times. You need to push through the first couple of episodes but when it hits you it really hits you.

Edited by Merzbow

20 hours ago, seph said:

Was that the same version as shown on that experimental Anime Network 10-12 years back, or was the latter a remake? 

It seemed very weird to end the run in a situation where alien-enhanced people were almost normalised in society and the hero returns out of nowhere, as if a 2nd season was set up but never shown here.

Classic Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Excel Saga, Coyote Ragtime Show and a few others got full runs too, can't remember the rest.

The Guyver series that was shown on the Anime Network was a later version I think, as it ran for 26 episodes or so, while the original series I'm talking about was limited to 12 I think.

You've reminded me that I need to get hold of that later series though, as I only saw a few of them.

13 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

One Punch Man is great fun. Definitely worth a watch.

I've added that to my watchlist. I've heard good things about it.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ryan_Stevens said:

@David friend I watch Guyver Its really great anime series but I watch online and where I watch its not complete series. Does anyone know where I can found the real Guyver complete series to watch online?

The 26 episode series is on Crunchyroll which can be watched free with ads (on PS4 at least, never tried it on other devices)

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I fancy starting a new anime on Netflix. Any recommendations? Off the top of my head I've seen,

Psycho Pass

One Punch Man

Trigun

Death Note

Attack on Titan

Cowboy Bebop

Anything similar to any of them would be great.

1 hour ago, DEF said:

I fancy starting a new anime on Netflix. Any recommendations? Off the top of my head I've seen,

Psycho Pass

One Punch Man

Trigun

Death Note

Attack on Titan

Cowboy Bebop

Anything similar to any of them would be great.

I wouldn't say it's similar but try Erased, there's also a live action series on there but the anime is the best of the two. STEINS;GATE is the closest you'll get to Psycho Pass and I'd look up Terror in Resonance too.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

I signed up for crunchyroll today because my nephew wanted to watch the final feature length episode on an anime he'd been watching on the free one. Currently on my personal watch list I've stuck Case Closed because I started reading the Manga goodness knows how long ago, Ace Attorney because I like the games and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because JoJo. The last Anime I watched was Samurai Champloo. I started Death Note, but had to return the portable hard drive I was watching it on. Is there any other interesting detective anime or manga on there worth a watch or read? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I signed up for crunchyroll today because my nephew wanted to watch the final feature length episode on an anime he'd been watching on the free one. Currently on my personal watch list I've stuck Case Closed because I started reading the Manga goodness knows how long ago, Ace Attorney because I like the games and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because JoJo. The last Anime I watched was Samurai Champloo. I started Death Note, but had to return the portable hard drive I was watching it on. Is there any other interesting detective anime or manga on there worth a watch or read? 

The immediate one that comes to mind is Pluto. Its very well known but as you didn't mention you've read it then I would certainly recommend checking it out. Its a muder mystery with robots as the suspects potential culprits. One of those that lives up to its reputation.  A true masterpiece.

• 6 months later...

Bringing this back from the wilderness because I finally got round to watching the Demon Slayer movie this afternoon, wow what a stunning piece of animation and fits perfectly within the story of the first season, hopefully season two, when it arrives, will continue the trend

Also managed to watch the first two My Hero Academia movies via Netflix the other day, decent films that make a nice side piece to the main show, just hope Netflix add the third film and the rest of the seasons, particularly the current 5th season as I'm a fair bit behind on episodes atm