Anime

lightningxlock

Patlabor's not bad, a very typical late 80's early 90's mech/cop show. Angels Egg is one of his must-see films, Yoshitaka Amano is involved so it's gorgeous to look at but there's fuck all plot. although it does show off Oshii's mental state at the time which was meant to be pretty bad.

I finally got round to watching Blood: the Last Vampire the other night. Thought it was great but in the short side.

I'm thinking of checking the series out. Anyone got a view on if it's worth it?

I haven't seen the series but I'd recommend watching Vampire Princess Miyu and both Vampire Hunter D movies. I remember Hellsing being pretty decent too, I keep meaning to catch the later retelling of that which I hear is better.

• Paid Members

Talking of classic animes I recently bought the Korean dvd of Wicked City and watched Fist of the North Star on youtube.

Both of which I hadn't seen since the late 90's. They still hold up big time. Wicked City is absolutely batshit. I highly recommend them if you like your anime a violent as hell.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Ghost in the Shell is "OK", like the animation is amazing in parts, but I thought the story and ending was a bit "meh". I recorded Akira from the weekend and am yet to watch it, but I've heard its amazing.

I had heard how great was for years and put off watching it up until several months ago. Was fantastic to be fair alot of that is down to the animation and the feel created.

Watched Akira last night for the first time, and its a combination of amazing and bat shit insane.

The animation is out of this world, and puts a lot of modern stuff to shame. Story-wise, I *think* I got everything, but it all goes a bit nuts towards the end. Very much worth watching though, if anybody hasn't. I'll be picking up a blu-ray of this at some point!

If I remember correctly the writer of Akira put the Manga on hold to work on the movie. The Manga actually goes well beyond the events of the movie becoming more post apocalypse.

Visually I love the movie but have never been a huge fan outside of the visuals.

Back to Gatchaman and shit faced Berg Katse is a joy to watch. Not far from the end of the first series now.

It's pretty funny watching the team preach world peace and then blowing shit up and gunning down "Galactor Scum" with glee. It's definitely a 70's anime.

Edit.

Nambu is a dick head though.

Edited by The King Of Swing

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back because I just watched the first episode of Megalo Box, it has this gorgeous old-school late 80's-esque animation and art style. It harks back to the glory days of "Manime" with it's cyberpunk aesthetic and violence, I just hope it keeps it up for the rest of the season.

Also, it has a badass motorcycle.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

Does anyone remember The Guyver? It was a 12-part (I think) VHS set that was released in the UK in the early to mid 90's?

Probably my favourite mecha anime of all time if i'm honest.

Love the Guyver. I thought it was the coollest thing on the planet when I was about 13. (still sort of do) I have some awesome animation cels from that series that are probably my favourites in my cel collection. A Zoanoid one even has the original hand painted background art. Apparently there was also a 60 minute OVA from 1986 before the series that I've never seen. I'm going to have to dig out my DVDs now it's time for a rewatch.

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

One-Punch Man has been added to Netflix. Heard alot about it, but never got the chance to actually watch it. I do like the sound of the premise though

I've started this yesterday. Only 3 episodes in but I really like it. It's like a blend of Fist of the North Star and The Tick.